Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 229230231232233 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 11:16am
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Freaky looking mutant gurnard!

Thats the ghost of smudges' winning grunter hunter gurnard. The winning fish that never was LOL
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 12:19pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Speaking of which, who else is entering Smudges famous gurnard comp in June the 6th?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 12:55pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by gurnard gurnard wrote:

Speaking of which, who else is entering Smudges famous gurnard comp in June the 6th?
Me & Skoti Big smile
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 1:51pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There's usually a good group from here that enter , good chance to meet and catch up with forum members.
Off the top of my (bald) head zukman , flawone , skunk , bazza , snappergeoff , wefaknis , craysee , dunworken , wayno , draker , mars , baitcatcher , kitno , cypri , kevins , feinan , cosmo and a bunch of others have all fished this comp at some stage . Many , like myself do it every year , it's an awesome comp to do Thumbs Up
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 5:43pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ahh sounds good. I did it last year but my boat only managed one carrot between the three of us fishing.

Will definitely be going again this year. Would be good to meet a few of you and have a rum or 20
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rusty360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 7:55pm
rusty360 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Some very nice fish in the harbour at the moment by the looks. I was gunna take Friday off and go for a fish but the weather is not looking flash.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 12:58pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Me & Skoti Big smile

$1500 & a couple of hundred sausages each ... not bad !

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 3:57pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

Me & Skoti Big smile

What do they do if neither of them catches a gurnard?
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 5:22pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

[QUOTE=gurnard]Speaking of which, who else is entering Smudges famous gurnard comp in June the 6th?
Me & Skoti Big smile

Alan
[/QUOTE

That could never happen as being local they each have a school of gurnard trained as pets & they respond to their name being called to bite on their bait.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 6:16pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

[QUOTE=smudge][QUOTE=gurnard]Speaking of which, who else is entering Smudges famous gurnard comp in June the 6th?
Me & Skoti Big smile

Alan
[/QUOTE

Smudge and Skoti both have sexy red dresses and make up, you should see them on stage for the weigh in...LOL
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 6:57pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Almost worth a trip? Once in a lifetime experience. Bucket list stuff?
What are they weighing at weigh in? Themselves?
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 6:46pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sunday 16/5/21  7 to 10:30 am

Launched at Jenkins Bay and fished the local shallows.  Thanks to intell from Gurnard, Transformations and others, a bit more successful this time.  2 nice fat gurnard, 2 fat snapper and over a dozen KY (kept 3 for bait).  Straylined with bonito, mullet, KY, Jack macks, pilchards and squid, and all caught fish.   A little 3/0 flasher rig for gurnard caught about 10 KY.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 9:09pm
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice FQ, glad it produced for you. How did you find the launch?

We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 9:13pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done Far Quirk, nice result.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 10:38pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Jenkins Bay is not a bad ramp.  This morning I had front and back wheels about 150mm deep in order to get the boat off the trailer, but the footing was solid papa, so no sweat for a 4WD.  That was my second use of the ramp, and I'll go back there.  My memory of Waikowhai from many years ago is there were a lot of small boulders around, so a lot rougher.

There was no wind this morning but with 10 knots or more, especially a SW wind, I couldn't have used that ramp.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 7:48pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Re bag limits maukau harbour.

Its 10 snapper 27 cm or more.
But after that is it 10 other mixed species to make total of 20 fish,or is it 20 other mixed species to make total of 30 fish.
Not anticipating keeping that many but trying to clarify this.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 8:33pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

10 snapper plus 20 fin fish excluding kingfish. So 10 snapper plus 20 other plus 3 kingis. Quite the day out, but an awful lot of filleting 😊
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 9:03pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thankyou for clarifying that Crayzfish. Thats one huge amount of catching. Would need a chilly bin almost the size of the boat.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 8:21am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just put a outboard on the end of the chilli binWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 2:13pm
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great day out on the Muddy yesterday. Early launch at Jenkins and straight over to my new favourite spot on the edge of the Purakau. Nice small tide with very little weed or grass meant we could use small lightly weighted baits. Within 15mins of dropping anchor we knew we were in the right spot

Had an awesome session right through the outgoing tide with the fish getting bigger and best of them right down at slack tide. Favourite son in law (only one so it's not favouritism ) got some nice fish and even got to use my favourite rod for most of the day.

More than enough so everyone got a turn

Snaps kept from 35 to 51 and some good fat gurnard with 3 over the magic 1kg mark, best going 1.24kg

With a few hard charging kahawai in the mix we filled the bin with some really prime fish

With the tide starting to push, we skimmed over the Te Tau bank literally clipping the sea grass with the prop to end a really great day on the water.
We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Page  <1 229230231232233 288>