Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 228229230231232 289>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 6:32pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice work Transformations
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockhudson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2021 at 6:47am
rockhudson View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Awesome report, Transformations. Amazing sunsetThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2021 at 10:09am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good read T...and incentive to get our boat back out there..
https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/topic135355_post1807751.html#1807751
Hopefully be ready this weekend..havnt looked at the wind yet.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 5:49pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Trip report from this morning.

Made the call to head out for a few hours before work today.

After a decent summer of snapper fishing I wanted to purely target carrots today. So I launched at Clark’s beach at mid tide incoming and set off my to Gurnard hole.

The Fishing and adventure boys beat me to it and were somewhere on the harbour which is cool. Have not seen them there before so hopefully an episode coming up in the new season.

I anchored up not long after launching and chucked a few baits over on two set ups. Unfortunately I took a rod that has waaaay too soft action and could not hook a damn thing on it at this spot. The bites were definitely Gurnard which annoyed me.

I managed a decent Kahawai first up which was promptly bled and chucked on salt ice ready for smoking tomorrow.

After a few missed gurnard takes I finally landed one. A decent size but nothing huge. I proceeded to make a mare of any more potential gurnard hookups and after a couple of hours the small snapper found me so I shot over to Ropers channel to get a couple of snapper to add to the bin.

Within 15 minutes and two decent string pulling reds joining the Gurnard and Kahawai on ice it was time to head in, wash up and go to work.

Beautiful glassy conditions out there today. Bummer about taking a silly rod out that had more bend than a rubber band (couldn’t set hooks at all) but a decent feed for the next two days anyway!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 7:49pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Interesting read gurnard, wish I could find time to head out but playing nursemaid to my wife who has broken her leg
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 10:34pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Fair enough Smudge. I’d say this will be my only window for a while. Hopefully next week sometime I’ll be able to head out again.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 6:34am
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks gurnard, good to have eyes and ears on the water especially as things start to get quieter. Bugger about the bubblegum rod, so we learn. Great you ended up with a feed.

Wind and tides looking good for a fish early next week by the looks of it...tight lines👍

We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 9:55am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good informative read there Gurnard.
Im looking at tues for the bar..if get boat and trailer finished. Close now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 8:41pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i love fishing the manukau been dreaming of it for month now .......especially now after  living in Pukekohe
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 6:52pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by cosmo cosmo wrote:

i love fishing the manukau been dreaming of it for month now .......especially now after  living in Pukekohe

We recently moved to Tuakau, so I definitely feel ya!

Already thinking of heading out again tomorrow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 12:04pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Out this morning inner harbour - fabulous conditions better than forecast!  Cool wind and fish were not cooperating today - couple small Kahawai, stingray, shark and 1 gurnard to take home.  No Snapper in sight not even a small one!  Water temp at 15.4 degrees down on 16.8 2 weeks ago.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 4:43pm
Mars View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Seems like an eternity since I posted in here!

Was also out on the harbour on Thursday running in my new 115 Mercury.

I can confirm that Scott & Mig were out on the Manukau on the day. They had gone over the bar and come back in before lunch. I ran into them up in Purakau Channel where they were slaying kahawai.

Ended up fishing side by side in Ropers for a few hours where we kept in touch over the VHF. That was pretty cool.

Scott said they had enough footage for an upcoming episode, so keep an eye out for the new season on TV in August.

Not a full on day on the fish for me, as I was concentrating on putting some hours on the motor, but managed to pull a feed with the best snapper laying on the mate at 54cm. Alot of kahawai around right now.

Will head out again in the morning taking advantage of the weather window. Looks mint!

Will have to take you out for a spin sometime Smudge....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 9:03pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Welcome back Mars Hug
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 4:51pm
AlexRecurve View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Took a bumpy ride out beyond the bar on Saturday.  Crossed at low and with a low swell it was pretty flat, but the SW wind picked up and made for an uncomfortable time riding at anchor.. It was one of those trips where you are pitching and jerking around and actually think to yourself - 'Is this any fun?'
Fortunate the fish were on the feed.  They took a while to warm up but once they found the berley we had a steady stream of snaps and gurnard coming aboard.  Nothing big but enough to kept interesting.  We lasted a couple of hours before the shark quota was outstripping the snapper quota and the lure of flat water inside the harbour won out.

Ive noticed in the last couple of years that the average size and number of fish beyond the bar has markedly dropped. Where we used to average 2-3kg fish, catch something in the 5kg plus bracket very trip - and never see an undersize specimen, now we are averaging pannies with many fish in the 25-30cm range that get thrown back.  As I say, I've noticed for a while now but held back from posting my thoughts.  I wondered if maybe it is just a blip and the bigger fish will move back into the area? - But we haven't had a single trip this season where the fish have been truly plentiful.  It's always been a struggle . . . compared to what it used to be in the not too distant past.  

So I'm curious to know other peoples thoughts on this.  Has anyone noticed the same?  Or have I just lost my fishing mojo?  Reading the recent posts there seem to be plenty of fish in the harbour, but we normally head across he bar - principally because that's where the bigger fish were found ( which I concede is a point that could be argued).  But it doesn't seem to necessarily be the case anymore.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 4:56pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

We do seem to be catching more small fish out over the coast, but we've had some pretty epic fishing especially in spring. I think we went through about 5 years of absolutely great fishing and it has just been one of those years. The harbour has been quiet for gurnard for us for 3 years or so but I know plenty of others have had the complete opposite! We've been slow on snapper over summer in the harbour but from what I've heard it is certainly going well now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 6:28pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

In my experience in the last couple of seasons, I usually do well when others struggle, yet when everyone else is slaying I am struggling 😂

The harbour is a funny old place at times but I love it that way. I like the effort you need to put in some days to be able to catch a feed.

I’ve only recently started crossing the bar. My first day was during spring side by side with Smudge and it was insane fishing. Since then every time I’ve been over, I have caught decent fish and had some memorable moments.

I have to say though, there’s no point for me in crossing the bar during this time of the year as the snapper fishing in the harbour is at its best in my opinion, granted you know where to find them.

The temperature has definitely dropped in the last couple of days Mac. It was 17.5 or so last week when I went out. I’ve even got the fire burning now as it was down to 2 degrees here in Tuakau early this morning.

I have tomorrow off apart from rugby training in the evening, and with the boat still being hooked up and about 90L in the tank I’m finding it hard to choose between mowing the lawns or going out for a carrot harvest.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 11:14am
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

TR for Thur 06/05

Another early start at fave spot and started off well with a nice mid 40's snap before sun came up

Went a bit quiet after that but was worth the effort being there early to appreciate the sunrise

Picked up a couple of KY and pulled the hooks on a couple of trevs and then it went real quiet. This is where being able to watch the water temp makes a difference. When I anchored the temp was around 17deg, by the time the tide was halfway out it was down to just over 14deg. Made the call to move across to the Purakau and got the last few hours of outgoing in about 4m on the edge of the channel, temp over here was back up to around 16.5deg.

Picked up another 5 snaps, nothing huge but all fat and fit. Got a few more nice KY and a good trev. Got bust off twice with one feeling like a real good snap and no clue on the other one but everything was feeling very fishy. And then there was the gurnard....

OMG! First gurnard of the season and this is what comes out. Other than missing half it's face it was perfectly healthy and fighting fit. Usually when I catch something that has had to overcome some kind of trauma, I put it back out of sympathy. Not this time, this one I put back because it was just damned disturbing! No way could I fillet and eat this fish without images of the walking dead coming to haunt me    .

All in all another fun and rewarding day on the muddy. What a great place to have on our doorstep

We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 1:15pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Freaky looking mutant gurnard!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 7:26am
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

9/5/2021 7am - 12:00

Another great morning out on the Big Muddy despite the looming rain clouds. Fished the banks of the Snappakura on the incoming tide in the hope of some Gurnard but was sadly disappointed. Had to make do with endless horse sized KY, fighting fit Trevs and Snapper up to 50cm. Damn steering cable snapped on the way out so had to make tiller out of an oar which worked perfectly!
Interestingly water temp was in the 17 degrees the whole time
Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 7:43am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Groan.  Got up at 3:30am this morning and checked the weather.  Wind zilch - perfect!
It was raining, so checked the rain radar.  Big slab of rain coming from the WNW heading straight for the Manukau. So went back to bed.
Got up again about 6:30 and the big slab of rain had fizzled to nothing.  But too late to catch the tide.

I had planned to launch at Titirangi and fish the local shallows on the last of the incoming tide. Sob.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Page  <1 228229230231232 289>