Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 208209210211212 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snapper12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 7:57am
Snapper12 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Was it by Whatipu or by the lighthouse sand bank.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 10:54am
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Took my mate and son out yesterday before the weather took a turn.
Launched just after high and shot out to the scallop beds. Was a bit difficult finding them yesterday but after a few pulls we got enough for dinner.
The plan was to head to the Papakura channel and see if we could nab a few early season snapper so we went to our usual spot and began bringing up legal but small snapper around 30cm. Kept 4 due to the depth we were hauling them up from.
We caught 3 nice big trevs in between them and I hooked something very large which took me around the anchor rope twice. After a long fight it ended up being a 5 to 6ft bronzie....was hoping it was a decent king!
The tide turned and the incoming flow was met wirh the wind so we decided to head in with a feed....but coming back down the Waiuku channel we couldn't resist trying for a Gurnard to add to the bin.
Parked up at a little spot on the channel edge and caught 5 nice carrots in quick succession, lost 4 as well. The Kahawai showed up and we got one more nice Trev.
Back to the ramp at 4pm after launching at 7am. Was a long day on the water but well worth it with a great seafood dinner.
Probably my favorite thing about fishing our harbour is the variety and the unknown about what will be in the bin at the end of a days fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 12:05pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice report and a good mixed bag
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 4:24pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Nice reports Legacy and Gurnard.

Last Friday evening I looked at the forecast and tides for Saturday morning.  The weather was good but the tides were weak, and my experience with smaller tides is the fishing is usually slow.  So I pulled the plug and slept in on Saturday.

It was a huge surprise when Legacy binned up on snapper, but to be honest, with my little FC390 I wouldn't feel at home near the heads.  But give it another couple of weeks I might be back launching at Huia.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 6:36pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ya don't necessrily need to go to the heads Far Quirk. Give it a few more weeks and they'll start heading in further. Still some stonking good trevs around to be had as well as carrots. I get a bit over snapper fishing by the end of summer/autumn so I try and make the most of winter targetting other species.

Thursday looks the goods again at this stage as well as Friday. May shoot up the Huia banks for a looksy for a change of scenery.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 6:43pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Also boys...if anyone is keen to let me follow them out the harbour in the near future I would greatly appreciate it. Want to learn the ropes and finally get out there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 7:10pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I'll bear that in mind Gurnard. I'm pretty busy with stuff but quite happy to have someone follow us out when the opportunity arises. I have a good few spots worth a try for this time of year for snapper. Gurnard will be harder to find and trevally should be on the menu. Kahawai everywhere I should imagine
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 9:51pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I’ve heard/seen a couple of big snapper(15lb) caught in the harbour recently, not by me ,and not near the heads.
Have to think where they’ll be -food supply ?and how to fish for them, stray lining big baits can be part of the equation. Tides are important in the upper harbour and small tides produce in some spots and big tides in others .
I like to target gurnard during the winter but unlike Gumboot I had no real luck this year.
Once December /January arrive I’ll be after kingfish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 9:31am
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yep I am also awaiting the kingfish season. Yet to catch one out in the muddy even after all these years! Have tried cake island a couple of times too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 10:47am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

The edges of the channels work for live baits fished on the bottoms. The guys that do best on kings - not me - usually fish the channels between Puponga and the north head, usually in close
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 3:17pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah seen many around the Huia banks but hooking them never seems to eventuate. It's been my bogey fish for years. Hooked them but always lost before the boat. This year I'll get one!

Regardless I'm looking at heading out this week was I have the week off. Thursday or Friday at this stage.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote r20b_pp@hotmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 6:15pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

If you want to target kings on the manukau only target them . I spent days on the rocks just too learn when and how to catch lives, pm me in the summer I'll point you in the right direction
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 1:52pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Will do mate. Always keen to take others out on my boat too and usually go out mid week.

Whos heading out tomorrow?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote seahunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 8:14pm
seahunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Weather looks good, ill be out in the afternoon!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 4:14pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Well that was hard work.

Weather was amazing. It was a mill pond out there. Launched at Clarks and went straight to my usual Snapper spot in about 25m.

Took a while for the baits to be hit and landed a couple of small snaps around 27 which went back in to grow bigger. We got there bang on the high tide so didn't expect much until the tide turned, and had 3 youngins under 10 for their first trip in the boat so it was more of a recreation day than dedicated fishing.

As soon as the boat swung around with the start of the incoming I nabbed a decent string puller. Nice and fat at 50cm.

We then proceeded to catch 3 5ft sharks and lost 3 of my bigger sinkers so thought bugger this....and home we went.

Ssturday looks good out west with a small swell and bugger all wind so hoping to get over the bar for the first ever time.

Few boats out today but also looked like a few were wrestling with the toothy fellas too. My 8 year old fought a decent one today and is wrapped with himself as it's his biggest catch to date.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 4:15pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 5:01pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice plump snapper....
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 8:24pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice work Gurnard, that's a fine looking snap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote seahunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 8:27pm
seahunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Agree with you there gurnard - hard work!

We launched before low tide, launching at 3, and went to our usual spot. Few small snaps 27-30 that went back and a few small kahawai that went back.
I lost 3 sets of gear to something big.... so we went home with only 1 good kahawai for dinner.

Good arvo out though, and bad days make the good days even better!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 8:37pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That's the only way to look at it Sea hunter. We all have days like that. 

It's not unusual for me to be asked if we ever have a bad day. A guy asked me that just yesterday. Of course we do. If we're not having the odd day with poor fishing then we're either fibbing  or we're fibbing
Page  <1 208209210211212 288>