Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 200201202203204 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 10:05am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fantastic catch sea hunter. Being saturday after lockdown did you have any trouble getting a car park.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote seahunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 10:11am
seahunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nah - always a place to park on the grass up top somewhere. Ive never had a problem in ~10yrs. Guess it depends when you're there though - as on a nice sunny afternoon it sure fills up with cars, holiday makers, wharf fishers and people out for a drive.

And of course, there's always an idiot that parks in the boat ramp turning area in front of all the 'no parking' signs Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 11:00am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So clearly not too crowded,thats good.
Parking in the turning area by the no parking signs. not good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 12:08pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Smudges son Arron and I headed onto the muddy launching at 8:30 and heading up to the Snapakura channel reef system .
Hopes were high but we both had a feeling of elation being able to get out there after lockdown .
Long story short , that was the only legal fish I caught all day .
Arron did better putting 3 or 4 smaller snappers in the bin along with a couple of nice carrots .
My snapper took a half bullet tuna on a 10/0 circle straylined out the back on my old school BTR4500 and Taipan rod .
Estimated at 15lb , it went 14.5lb/6.63 kg on the scales .
And as I told Arron , it's all about quality , not quantity LOL
So good to get out there again Thumbs Up

COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 7:01pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

We had 3 gurnard over the magic kilo mark including this one

What length is a 1kg gurnard
Hope to get one over 40cm

Originally posted by seahunter seahunter wrote:

Out from Cornwallis on Saturday morning - stunning day to be out on the water again.  Off to usual spot in ~8mtrs watert
nice report mate
curious, what weight sinkers do you use

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote seahunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 8:22am
seahunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi BananaBoat,
Im using a standard 2 hook pilchard rig 6/0 size hooks, and the smallest ball sinker to hit the bottom. I think its 1/2 ounce? Im not actually sure ....

I usually only bother fishing an hour each side of the change of tide too.

Sneaked out yesterday morning for one really decent 3kg snapper, and 5 monster kahawai. The harbour is stunning at the moment and fishing well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 3:09pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fished shallow in big bay for quite a few big kahawai and one Trev, nothing too exciting .
No gurnard .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 6:06pm
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Did a pretty full day out there yesterday, weather couldn't have been better. Slow would be the description...with a &$@@"¥¢π in front of it. Total of 9 bites the whole day, still ended up with 2 big kahawai and 3 very respectable gurnard, all in the late 40 to 50cm size.

Smudge ya can keep the incoming tide and I'll do the outgoing 😁... one ky on the incoming and all the rest at the bottom of the outgoing. Carrots on flasher rigs and salted ky. Was worth it for this

We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Judokapont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 6:54pm
Judokapont View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I got out yesterday morning too , stunning conditions , the bite was super slow with the old muddy not giving up too much , one gurnard and few KY , flasher rig fished hard on the bottom , tried squid , mullet ,KY and Pilly.
Spectacular morning
By the power of Greyskull
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 7:27pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice day on the harbour today , my favorite tides .
Fished the Snapperkura channel for the top of the tide to a couple of hours of the outgoing .
Plenty boats out , counted about 30 scattered about .
Kept 6 fish from 3-9 lb .
Some good laughs from Blood brothers and Smudge2 echoing about the reef .

COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 7:50pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Skoti Skoti wrote:

Nice day on the harbour today , my favorite tides .
Fished the Snapperkura channel for the top of the tide to a couple of hours of the outgoing .
Plenty boats out , counted about 30 scattered about .
Kept 6 fish from 3-9 lb .
Some good laughs from Blood brothers and Smudge2 echoing about the reef .

Awesome
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 10:11am
AlexRecurve View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

We spent a long time searching for fish on Saturday and eventually tracked them down.  I suspect they were there all along but just weren't biting:  We started shallow 10m off Hamiltons Gap, then tried 20m, then moved to the shallows off Western Shoals and literally didn't get a bite in all 3 spots.  Totally dead.  So I made the call to boot it out to 60m and try there instead.  After a slow start the fish came on the chew around 11am and we started to fill the bin.  This ( above) was the largest.  I also caught a kingy around 9kg on a jack-mack livebait.  Lots of sharks and a few couta to spoil things.
We had a brief chat with another crew back on the beach and they had done exactly the opposite to us but had a similar result:  They started deep and beside a short bite at 9am, it was dead slow.  So they came in to Cochranes and fished shallow, which is where they loaded up when the fish came on the feed late morning.
So maybe we should have stuck to shallows and saved on the fuel, but then who's to know what will eventuate.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 7:27pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That's a nice fish Alex!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 7:33pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Here's my latest report for the harbour. no apologies for pushing The Grunter Hunter, This event has been very well supported by forum members - with a very high success rate!

I have yet to have a top 5 rating but isn't that cool? Proves you don't need a big rep to win it and that makes me very happy.

Anyway smudge, where's your report? Do we even want to hear from someone who hasn't won it yet???? Big smile

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 11:52am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A nice solo morning session, outgoing tide and mullet and bonito
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snapper12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 11:56am
Snapper12 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice one Legacy
Have struggled a bit recently.
Which area did u find fish.
I guess snaps are moving from shallow to deep waters in the channel.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 12:50pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Up by the heads
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 2:49pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some nice fatties there mate !
COVID is no joke !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 3:18pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers - they were hungry today .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 5:08pm
AlexRecurve View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

We headed out yesterday.  Wasn't an ideal time to cross the Bar - middle of the outgoing and against the swell.  Pretty lumpy. ( was like a mirror on the way home)

We tried deep first and were absolutely in-undated with sharks.  Never caught so many - all tope except for one spiny dog.  The snapper couldn't get a look-in so we came in shallower - 17m off Cochranes.  Had a bit of a bite going for a while . . .  but then those bloody toothy critters showed up again and bulldozed their way through a load more rigs.

Ended up with 14 snapper, 2 gurnard and 2 kahawai.  Happily for me all the big snaps were on my side of the boat!

Maybe we should have stayed in the harbour and saved on tackle costs.  Looks like a few of you are doing well on the inside.

Page  <1 200201202203204 288>