Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 196197198199200 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 2:16pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got out this morning Papakura channel 3 of us in a boat for 3 hrs Embarrassedbit slow moved twice but 3 Snapper biggest 38cm and 4 Kahawai - very calm and quite a few boats out.
Nice to do something normal and not worry about corona virus we wont catch from NZ fish!

Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 2:19pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice looking fish ,and all look to be in great condition. A morning well spent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 11:38pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one Mac Skipper, you really are having plenty of success this season on the Muddy in your new tin boat!

I too fished the Papakura but on the turn of the low, got straight into some good fish while a boat only 20m away from me struggled 😉

Once the current got too strong I headed for old fav gutter on the back of the Te Tau bank and as the sun set we got some scorching runs on the 1/2 oz straylines! Finished the day with 10 decent snaps up to 40cm as the sun set across the ranges.

Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 7:24am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Arron and his mate took the boat out yesterday morning and straylined the shallows. Similar results as above with 3 kahawai, 2 gurnard and 5 snapper to 42cm. He also got hassled by a couple of very big tope one of which shortened his rod a little Big smile
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote seahunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 7:29am
seahunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

FlawOne - it's always funny how a boat a few meters away seems to struggle and you do well. We had the same thing saturday morning.
Kept 4 good snaps 35 up to 45cm, with a couple decent ones lost - kept a decent kahawai, and a few Jack mac's.
Biggest snap caught on a whole pillie.

Heading back over to cornwallis we stopped in the middle to play with small kahawai and jack macs. Seemed to be heaps of them.
Magic morning out - glassy calm. The water looked clear too, and was warm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 9:20am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been watching the Waikato bar  gutted...
 Been down since tues and will be right thru to at least next Monday, wind good  go out over the high come back on the 3/4 incoming...
 Thu it looks like the main channel has got narrower and heads further to the nth... cut that left(sth) cnr and could be in trouble.
 I have been told by a professional and very experienced source who had the privilege to spend a bit of time in the bar with.. just hanging out moving around on it...
 When have long calm periods the mouth thru where the waved usually break moves to the nth like this.. get a period of serious weather over the bar , it moves back to a dog leg.

One can see this espec on low tides how and where the swell breaks.

If someone has the time, can check daylight hrs on the waikato cctv historic records if any boats have actually gone over...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 5:43pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Been a fair few years since I have regularly contributed here but the lock down boredom has brought me back to find my old login!

Recently relocated from the Titirangi side to Papakura after living and fishing that side for most of my life so I am relearning the big muddy in some aspects.

Have been launching regularly from Waiau Pa and Clark’s over the summer and heading up the Waiuku and fishing the Papakura and even Ropers. Still yet to find a decent mark that is consistent and so far have caught a few fish at each spot but at other times it has been very quiet. On the plus side I have a few promising spots to try for carrots when the weather cools.

Been a bit hit and miss at my usual spot in the Papakura channel. Last year around this time I would bin up very quickly but yet to catch a thing at the same spot so far. Funny thing this fishing.

Hopefully we see some normality return in a couple of weeks. The boat and tackle is all maintained and ready to go. Also going to treat myself with a new TLD15 for when I am able to get back out there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 6:12pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by gurnard gurnard wrote:

Been a fair few years since I have regularly contributed here but the lock down boredom has brought me back to find my old login!

Recently relocated from the Titirangi side to Papakura after living and fishing that side for most of my life so I am relearning the big muddy in some aspects.

Have been launching regularly from Waiau Pa and Clark’s over the summer and heading up the Waiuku and fishing the Papakura and even Ropers. Still yet to find a decent mark that is consistent and so far have caught a few fish at each spot but at other times it has been very quiet. On the plus side I have a few promising spots to try for carrots when the weather cools.

Been a bit hit and miss at my usual spot in the Papakura channel. Last year around this time I would bin up very quickly but yet to catch a thing at the same spot so far. Funny thing this fishing.

Hopefully we see some normality return in a couple of weeks. The boat and tackle is all maintained and ready to go. Also going to treat myself with a new TLD15 for when I am able to get back out there.

Good to hear from you again Gurnard.

Fishing has been a little hit and miss this year for sure. I'm predicting a good gurnard season though!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:39pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Has anyone launched from bottle top bay in Papakura/Karaka before? Wondering if it is worth using this ramp as i am only a couple kms away from it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:52pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Has anyone launched from bottle top bay in Papakura/Karaka before? Wondering if it is worth using this ramp as i am only a couple kms away from it.
Take a drive down at low tide,few rocks a bit out from ramp.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote slayliner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 9:01am
slayliner View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The ramps good at high and low tide in between its a bit shallow.Dont walk out to far at low tide as it drops off,The rocks stick out at low tide from memory about 100m from ramp towards the motorway.Also be carefulparking your car on the tarseal on a full spring tide as Ive seen cars parked there at high tide with the water up to their doors , quite funny ,cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 11:44am
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cheers guys.

Does it take long to motor out to the Papakura channel from there? Looks a wee way on my gps. Usually launch at Waiau Pa but if I can launch 3 mins down the road instead I'll be stoked.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 1:46pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Looking at getting the kayak out on the muddy for grunters over winter
I captured these shots from a video posted on here, was especially interested on the rigs
Can someone expand more on these rigs used, I see they are double baited droppers
I see beads, sinkers on the traces other than the dropper sinker

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 11:09am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Captain Cook bought Auckland for a box of beads and told the tangata whenua they were good for catching gurnard.  That's where it started.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 2:53pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

LOLLOLLOL
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 4:39pm
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

And that looks like Smudge's handiwork I'm sure.....and it works

We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 4:55pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Sorry Banana Boat I didn't notice your post.

Transformations, similar but no. I would be pretty certain those rigs would be Gerald Muir's creations. Gerald is a friend of mine and known here as Club Matakawa.

I use strayline rigs a lot and have used coloured beads for a bit of bling. I'm unsure if it helps but I like to use 2 or three beads of different colours. Gerald really got into using those big strings of beads after he went fishing in Scotland and they were using them. 

Another forum member MARS is also keen on using beads. He does very well on trevally and gurnard. 

The reason I started using beads was I knew how effective flasher rigs were. I mainly use two rigs, a strayline rig and a dropper rig. There was just one problem. My favourite rig for gurnard is the BM Tarakihi Terror. The cost $10 each. most of my fishing at the time was with my kids and others who didn't fish much so i supplied the gear. I don't mind that at all as friendships are reciprocated. I take them fishing, they take me hunting or invite us to their place to experience their hospitality. 

That however doesn't take away from the fact that those rigs are expensive especially when you're buying for four and there are sharks and baracoutta around.

I found that by paying particular attention to how i tied my dropper rigs my gurnard catch improved dramatically. Part of that was using a green bead and a pink bead to each dropper.

Happy to answer any other questions

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 7:09pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Those bead rigs are very similar to the ones used in the UK for flatfish surfcasting only those guys used peeler crab as bait mostly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 1:08pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah, I know about the Tarakihi Terror. Lost enough to things that have teeth

I think I may have the traces sussed, me thinks

I see the bait droppers are quite long.
Are the beads added to keep the branching traces straighter in the water coloumn & ball sinker added above to help push the beads towards the baited hook

Any lumo beads, flashy skirts or octopus skirts in the mix

I remember Bill Hohepa tying on the silver part of chewing gum wrapper to help bring on a bite, pretty much a flasher rig
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Club Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 4:02pm
Club Matt View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

... Yer, I use to live in Bottle Top Bay 5 years ago ... but have shifted out to Matakawau now !! . Yes the boat ramp at Bottle Top Bay is excellent & is all tide & good parking area up top ... Papakura Coastguard also launch from their ... you don,t have to go far for Snapper either !! 
Page  <1 196197198199200 288>