Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 195196197198199 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 4:36pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The black we saw at the same place last trip, was up against a current/ temp wall, and we had just started to get  couple very big unusual macks...
I have no idea how a marlin runs..
Kings, sharks will run out, slow, put a bit of hurt on then usually run a slightly different direction...
This just ran and ran, same speed no matter how much drag was put on, and the spool would have Gone MT.
Not sure how much of  daiwa J8 30lb was on the 6000 OC spool buts was loaded right to the max.

Looks like there maybe another bar window next Sat.. easterlies but pick up during the day so would be pretty narrly a bit off shore past the 30/40m marks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 6:56pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Curious if many people cross the manukau to freedive amongst the Makos looking for Tuna and Kings on the sounder? Obviously with a skipper and min 2 divers. Would be epic to see a shed load of big floats/boat getting a tow form a bill fish of any sort. Not something spearos shoot lightly so would have to be a once in a lifetime fish.

But if there are some Blacks showing up, thats a good sign of water temp.

Id imagine further north a lot of mahi mahi around the floating weed.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 7:45pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Probably a kingfish Steps
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 4:50am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Probably a kingfish Steps
a BIG one!
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 5:15am
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Had the same thing happen to me Steps , years and years ago fishing on Geoff Williams charter boat Manuroa with Monty and Amateur from this site over the coast .
Hooked what I thought was a resonable fish , then it ran and ran and ran .
Never found out what it was , ran out of line ( est 300 mtrs )
All I know is the piddly 7 kg of drag I had on didnt bother it a bit .
Was probably a shark for all I know .
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 8:59am
AlexRecurve View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Could have been a big mako or thresher Steps?  The mako especially hit hard and run fast and will just keep stripping line.  Very different to the sluggish school sharks.  Often they'll jump but not always.  I too have no experience with marlin so cant offer much opinion on that, though I would suspect marlin would only be interested in live-bait or lures?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 9:48am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Would like to believe my 1st marlin hook up.
Would settle for 1st monster kingie
 And if was a a mako , white pionter , huge shark more than 2m (PB)
 Happy chappie.. either way.Thumbs Up
 Even better had a spare 330m spool of j8 in the back of the draw from last boat show...Thumbs Up
Re spooled last night...
 It ran none stop with increasing drag for approx 250/260m
 Had about 290m on the full spool at the start of the day.

Finished on a -ve note.
Wish the anchor was not down at the time, missed out on a lot more possible fun.Unhappy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 3:23pm
AlexRecurve View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

We had a notable day yesterday, particularly so for the mishaps - most momentous of which was the boat ( not mine) sliding off the trailer onto the beach, before we launched.  The bow eye gave way when the strops were slackened, meaning the whole vessel careered off the trailer. Fortunately into soft sand - no damage done other than to egos.  Usually that sort of **** would be embarrassing, but the only other boat on the beach had done a similar thing - although he had purposefully slid his boat off the trailer . . ..   unfortunately the tide was too low so it got stuck in the Little Huia,low tide mud.

So later than planned we crossed the bar, which was pretty lumpy - big tide and outgoing.  We went out to 45m and did pretty well.  Far too many kahawai and a few snapper.  Nothing huge, in fact most were pretty small.  Got one late specimen that was 8-9lb. 

We spent the last hour trolling for tuna as we'd seen a few skippy schools passing, but all was quiet.  The only thing of note was a substantial free-jumping marlin which leapt 6 or 7 times in front of us.  ( Not close enough to see if it was trailing any fishing line Steps!).

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 5:35pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The bow eye gave way when the strops were slackened, meaning the whole vessel careered off the trailer.

I have a thread about that from 3 or 4 yrs back.. mine snapped pulling the boat up.. larger diameter and change the height so each of the pins where more evenly loaded. Stainless just is not designed for loading

Neighbors went out yesterday as well hit out to the 100m mark.
 Basically same as you, and a marlin jump around the 60m. KY snapper similar.

( Not close enough to see if it was trailing any fishing line Steps!).

Thought the coloured 250m  J8 30lb braid would have stood out betterCool
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 7:36pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Had a great day out today with the Waiau Pa Boating club Family Day. I was lucky to be invited out with local celebrity Grant Sharman and his mate Matthew Patrick aboard Grant's 5.5m Reflex. A nice handling boat BTW, it had a 115 Optimax and it flew along. We did some miles (nautical miles) between my turf and MacSkippers hood.

Grant wanted to learn stuffand I didn't have the balls to tell him I was the wrong guy! So with a swollen head I said 'yeah, we will get some good fish Grant'. Pressure on Smudge.

Now Grant is a pretty forthright sort of character and is a very interesting guy so I felt the pressure to put him onto some good fish.

Matthew is a young guy and wow, what a great young man. Those who know me will know I see the good in young people. This guy isn't in my typical circle of friends but what a privilege to fish with these two.

I'll post some pics when I find my camera. That's quite a mission considering I was up at 5.15am this morning after going to bed at 11.00pm last night.

Why so late Smudge? Well I couldn't find my phone anywhere. Eventually I found it in my freezer. Please don't ask but in my defence I do have 4 freezers and two fridges with freezers in them. Again, please don't ask why I have so many.

Anyway we managed 15 snapper and two trevally from our first spot in 3 hours of fishing. We stuck it out for another 3 hours for nothing. 

I got a 4.9kg fish which wasn't big enough for the two snapper prizes, Matthew got his biggest harbour snapper at 46cm maybe ... I'm 4 beers in and can't remember. Grant got his PB from the Big Muddy at 2.6kg.

The trevs were small but here's the thing: Grant wanted to learn stuff and I've fished with him once before. So We didn't fish any deeper than 5m today. We all used strayline rigs with small baits & big hooks - 8/0 - and the heaviest sinker was around 2 ounce, maybe one. They couldn't believe that was possible.

Mission accomplished for me. A very rewarding day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 8:01pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 9:24pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Solid harbour snap there smudge, it's a good feeling putting someone onto shallow water fish that they thought wasn't possible.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 9:33pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

Solid harbour snap there smudge, it's a good feeling putting someone onto shallow water fish that they thought wasn't possible.

Yeah it's cool alright. Was shallow like where me you & Brooke fished, they were blown away with the fish we caught.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 9:43pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice condition on that snap smudge. yep you dont need to go deep for good fish.
what phase of tide did fish come on. Any kahawai sighted.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 9:48pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hi Cirrus. That was Grant's fish. Lots of fat on the fish we usually don't see them that good this early. The better fish were all caught on the last of the outgoing to within an hour or two of of incoming. That fish was 2.6 kilos.

We only caught two tiny ky which turned into really good snapper  when bits of them were put on a hook.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 10:14pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Smudge.  They dont get much better than when they put on the fat along the gut,and in shallow water they really go.
Gotta get out there again soon.The constant S.W wind and lately big tides have sent me gulfwards. But there is that something special about the manukau. Hard to put into words. That special ,remote west coast feel.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote seahunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 8:48am
seahunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Went out from Cornwallis on a magic Saturday morning. (I'm 50/50 on getting a larger boat at the moment, on low tide mornings like that, the little Frewza 14 is perfect - I could probably launch it on a heavy dew)
Not many boats around was surprising, maybe everyone was out buying toilet paper.

Headed over to our usual spot, water looked pretty 'dirty' - but there were huge schools of tiny (5cm) fish around. Fishing came on a bit slow - a few snaps in the just ~30cm range... Then a really solid Gurnard, then 2 decent Snaps at 35 and 40cm, a stonker stingray, an eel (a first for me), and a couple jack macs, annnnd then absolutely dead. So 3hrs after launching and we're back home and there's a feed to prepare.
Those small snapper (~35cm) are perfect for eating whole. So thought Id share a couple of different dead fish pics than the norm....

Scale it, grab some scissors and cut off the tail & fins, and make 3 or 4 deep angled cuts (down to the spine) and then dust with flour.

Shallow fry it in a few cm of hot oil for about 4or 5mins each side.

Knock up a sauce with lime juice, soya, coriander, fresh ginger, onion, teaspoon of brown sugar, chilli and a squirt of fish sauce - and cover the fish with it.

Hands down our favourite way to eat this sized fish. Feeds 2 of us, its quick, and importantly to us, there is no waste.
So fortunate to have something like the Manukau right on our doorstep!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 8:59am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

"I got a 4.9kg fish which wasn't big enough for the two snapper prizes,"

thats a really good Snapper smudge -  you should enter the huia fishing club competitions - that would have won you $300 yesterday .
We managed four legal  snapper with one going just over a kilo and some big kahawai, weighed one kahawai to see what size they were and it came in at 2.4kg .
 Got two gurnard also.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 3:10pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Legacy Legacy wrote:

"I got a 4.9kg fish which wasn't big enough for the two snapper prizes,"

thats a really good Snapper smudge -  you should enter the huia fishing club competitions - that would have won you $300 yesterday .
We managed four legal  snapper with one going just over a kilo and some big kahawai, weighed one kahawai to see what size they were and it came in at 2.4kg .
 Got two gurnard also.

I don't normally fish comps outside of my club's ones, but yeah it was a good fish. Not that unusual for this time of year- from here on in to july is when we tend to get most of our bigger snapper. There have been some big kahawai caught recently up to 2.9kg but we can't find them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 3:11pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by seahunter seahunter wrote:

Went out from Cornwallis on a magic Saturday morning. (I'm 50/50 on getting a larger boat at the moment, on low tide mornings like that, the little Frewza 14 is perfect - I could probably launch it on a heavy dew)
Not many boats around was surprising, maybe everyone was out buying toilet paper.

Headed over to our usual spot, water looked pretty 'dirty' - but there were huge schools of tiny (5cm) fish around. Fishing came on a bit slow - a few snaps in the just ~30cm range... Then a really solid Gurnard, then 2 decent Snaps at 35 and 40cm, a stonker stingray, an eel (a first for me), and a couple jack macs, annnnd then absolutely dead. So 3hrs after launching and we're back home and there's a feed to prepare.
Those small snapper (~35cm) are perfect for eating whole. So thought Id share a couple of different dead fish pics than the norm....

Scale it, grab some scissors and cut off the tail & fins, and make 3 or 4 deep angled cuts (down to the spine) and then dust with flour.

Shallow fry it in a few cm of hot oil for about 4or 5mins each side.

Knock up a sauce with lime juice, soya, coriander, fresh ginger, onion, teaspoon of brown sugar, chilli and a squirt of fish sauce - and cover the fish with it.

Hands down our favourite way to eat this sized fish. Feeds 2 of us, its quick, and importantly to us, there is no waste.
So fortunate to have something like the Manukau right on our doorstep!

That looks tasty Thumbs Up
Page  <1 195196197198199 288>