Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 194195196197198 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Judokapont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 6:38pm
Judokapont View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Did not get a measure I’m afraid Cirrus , we also took home five snapper all around the 32-40 cm mark , in the wairopa channel at the change of light , Mullet as the bait , fished hard on the bottom with a flasher rig, bit of burley pumping. Happy days , it was like glass for while 😎
By the power of Greyskull
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 7:03pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nothing beats a change of light fish on glassy seas. snapper etc should be getting well up the harbour by now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 8:52pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Paddled out of Laingholm in my kayak half tide up, dropped the pick in 3m water before the drop off by no2 marker post, a few bait theives & that bloody hairy brown weed.... heaps of sign on the sounder
Shifted into the channel in 7m, weed & bait theives, hardly any sign at all
Paddled off to the mangroves in 1m, no bites....
Back into 3m not far from main channel (2pm) throw backs, no weed at all, then 3 keepers came up 34 34 36, nothing on the outgoing.
Stray lined half pillies with 1/4oz sinkers & 2oz in main channel
Usually fish east side, want to learn up about the muddy....6km from home
Geeez the snaps on that side are fat for their size, seems many weeks ahead of east side snaps when they get their winter conditioning on
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 5:10pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went out Sat morning - fished outer harbour and foster bay side of huia bank - bit patchy but 6 legal Snapper and 8 Kahawai - 1 Kahawai was a horse weighed over 2kg and biggest I have seen and first Kahawai in 3 weeks. Two undersized Kingfish.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 7:08pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

Went out Sat morning - fished outer harbour and foster bay side of huia bank - bit patchy but 6 legal Snapper and 8 Kahawai - 1 Kahawai was a horse weighed over 2kg and biggest I have seen and first Kahawai in 3 weeks. Two undersized Kingfish.

Nice. We have our FishnChicks comp on Saturday and that sort of area is part of my Plan B
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 8:53pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

Nice. We have our FishnChicks comp on Saturday and that sort of area is part of my Plan B
smudge are you wearing a wig and a dress this weekend or is there something you're not telling us...
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 10:47pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

[/QUOTE] smudge are you wearing a wig and a dress this weekend or is there something you're not telling us... [/QUOTE]

No, I'm just the deckie/tactician/skipper. Me & Skoti. Why do you ask?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 10:27am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So Skoti is the crew, fishing...
 A couple?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 10:30am
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

No, i'm just the deckie/tactician/skipper. Me & Skoti. Why do you ask?
[/QUOTE]

Sounds like an important role, keep those ladies on track, i just thought you might be attempting to burgle the gurnard prize Smudge.

Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 8:57pm
Titanium
Titanium

Smudge pm me if you want more info
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 6:17am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

So Skoti is the crew, fishing...
 A couple?

OK there maybe some actual ladies on board too Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 10:22am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Its shaping up to be a damn near perfect window for the harbour and over the bars right thru to early tues morning.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 7:05am
Titanium
Titanium

Its shaping up to be a damn near perfect window for the harbour and over the bars right thru to early tues morning.
good timing as West Coaster comp from Little Huia this weekend - will be like an east coast boat ramp in Auckland for a weekend LOL!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 11:24am
Titanium
Titanium

Went out this morning from Cornwallis - lots of boats going out from Little Huia for the WestCoaster Comp - fished Papakura Channel 2 gurnard then this fella turned up - 92cm 9.5kg...choice!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 11:28am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thank you for the gurnard John
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 8:38am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

We were on the water from &.30 until 3.00pm yesterday. We ended up with 20 snapper fro the 3 ladies in the FishnChicks comp. WE only caught saper, 2 eagle rays and a little Jack mackerel although we tried for trevs and gurnard. The weed wasn't a problem until out going tide and it wasn't quite as bad as other trips recently

Biggest harbour snapper for the comp was just over 3kg and our biggest was 2.3kg, enough for 3rd place but while we're happy with that I was surprised the winning fish weren't bigger.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 6:28pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good onya smudge we graced the harbours presence for the last two hours of a horribly brown outgoing tide today in the waiuku channel. Did not look fishy at all and it wasn't. A solitary manukau pannie was all we got at least the boat was easy to clean. Lots out today i suspect
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 9:38am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Headed out over the Waikato bar yesterday, flattest bar every seen in couple yrs.
Steady stream of boats going over, from big trailer boats to even a couple little 3.5 m dingies..

Big screw up thu. With early morning 6am start boat nearly loaded up by crew came at 6am here, 1/2 asleep .. check everything , and still had a 'feeling'.
 Off to fill up at the gas station, then hit the ramp with a string of big boats behind us.
Headed down the creeks, with the big boats catching up just before the bar.
Check in with CG anyway, over then head to a favorite spot around the 25/30m mark... and birds sitting on the water in bunches everywhere ..
Damn .. forgot the bait, the burly and the bin...Thumbs Down
 So hooked a few lures up...nothing.. but even with baits takes about 5 or 10mins.
 10 mins , nothing.
 LampTime to strip the ham, cheese and salami out of our sandwiches, strip a bit of braid and lash onto the hooks.
 Crew just about to drop and " hey a fish just splashed about20m away..
 I grabbed the SB rod.. always, no matter where or when, I have a sb rod ready to throw.. Tossed out, got hit but not taken, bit disappointed, then about 10m from the boat hit, and a nice KY.
 BAITThumbs Up

add the baitn to the already ham salami on the hooks, drop couple minutes 1st 45cm snap..
Then a gurnard.
 Then a couple sharks, top of the tide, so decided to move to other favorite spot.
 Generally the bite goes off by now, but we decided to stay out and get back over the bar 21/2 hrs after high tide, rather than the usual 1 1/2 to 2 hrs, as so calm... limit now was the amount of water up the waikato river creeks to get home.
 Another nice snap, KY and gurnard.. then hit with a couple sharks again...then something, big very big, hooked on my line and ran, and ran, drag goes up.. shammano 6000 OC, and still no change in the run.
Down to under 1/4 of the spool left.. still runs.
30lb braid with 60lb trace..
So gently apply a little pressure to the spool, no difference, a little more and the braid snaps just as can see the bottom of the spool. and snapped around the 1/2 spool piont.
Last trip out, this spot, 20m behind us a large black marlin was free jumping, and apparently has been seen in the same area by others...
 I would have expected , if a very large shark, for the run to be shorter before running again.. this just ran...and ran.
 I have no experience at all in marlin..
 So just dont know..
Thoughts???

Ended up with 5 snaps from 40 thru high 50s, 4 fat KY (1 bait) a big mack (bait) and 3 gurnard.

Seemed everyone else had the same idea coming back in at the same time as us...big , medium and small (5m() all in a line heading back up the waikato and up the creeks.
Excellent wide ramp, no hold ups.
 Except me.. backing out thu cars, a parked car with person in, in the middle, next to me, resulted in me , jack knifing the trailer getting around him and with fence in front.. Eventually got trailer around and loaded with a 6 or 8 point turn

Another excellent day out.

EDIT: OH and to set the opposite to the guy in the car parked in the middle around trailers, on his phone txting must mention...

the friendly gentleman who was waiting for friends boat to come in, catching boats as they came up to the pontoons ..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 9:53am
Titanium
Titanium

interesting day bummer about leaving bait at home been there done that.

re fish without seeing at boat could have been anything but probably a marlin Wink!

Kingi we caught sat behaved very odd wasnt sure was a kingi despite screamimg first run when at boat saw had hooked onto second hook in body so pulling differently?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 12:29pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Last trip out, this spot, 20m behind us a large black marlin was free jumping, and apparently has been seen in the same area by others...
 I would have expected , if a very large shark, for the run to be shorter before running again.. this just ran...and ran.
 I have no experience at all in marlin..
 So just dont know..
Thoughts???

That must have been an experience Steps. Does anyone remember when the last Black Marlin was caught round here. Also im interested in why Marlin free jump, are they smashing through a bait school, or just playing?? Kahawai will jump on the line, but you never see them free jumping for example.
Page  <1 194195196197198 288>