Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 192193194195196 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 3:03pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

How's the snapper fishing been over the Manukau Bar, its been a long time between drops.
I've heard plenty of reports of gamefish recently but, any goss on the NZ Fav would be great thanks, i.e. are they in good numbers in the shallows yet, or are they still out wide?

Also never targeted Skipjack or Alby's before, if im heading to 40m, am i likely to come across them and how do i identify good water etc.

Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 8:41pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How's the snapper fishing been over the Manukau Bar, its been a long time between drops.....
any goss on the NZ Fav would be great thanks,

Have a gander thru my last 3 reports over the last 2 or 3 weeks.

We dont have any serious gear to troll albies or skippies.
 Just send out a couple ordinary lures on a std boat rods with a couple  shamano 6000oc reels with 30lb J8 braid and 30 lb trace
 And has worked in the past.. lotta fun .. basically KY on steroids.
 If you end up in among them, a soft bait rod  casting a SB out into the middle and wind like hell.. even more fun
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 9:26pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Albies are showing up around 60m but they will probably around closer than that now. Put you lures in at 40m and head out. If you see a current line follow that. If there are birds working or sitting on the water work that area. Feathers are a good sign too. Troll your tuna lures at 6 to 8 knots at the second wave back or a lot further out if you wish. We use 15kg line and 60lb trace or thereabouts. DKM may have some MacSkippy lures and they work a treat. Stab your albies behing the pec fin and bled them out then put on ice for a really tasty treat. Holding them by the tail and they calm down so you can bonk them on the head with a bat.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 9:30pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by fish-feeder fish-feeder wrote:

Any updates smudge?

The harbour is chocka with red weed so best to fish the low current times of the tide. We found fishing tough for the 3 days getting around 10 snapper each day for the three of us and a handful of kahawai, gurnard and trevally. Nothing big but good fun as the fishing comp usually are. Once this big moon starts to wane I would expect the fish to bite hard and the smaller tides may make the weed less problematic.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 10:15pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Red weed. Is this a recent phenomenon on the Manukau.? Dont recall seeing it when i first started fishing the Manukau.
Also is it found in open water over the bar.
Must be a reason for it to occur in the amounts it does.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 11:06pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I think it was first found in the 60's. It's a form of algae I believe. I think it's all the nutrients going into the harbourthat causes it to grow. It is around in winter but I think the warm weather encourages it to grow. It comes and goes but it appears to be getting worse over time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 11:16pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 11:28pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Smudge.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 2:18am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Originally posted by fish-feeder fish-feeder wrote:

Any updates smudge?

The harbour is chocka with red weed so best to fish the low current times of the tide. We found fishing tough for the 3 days getting around 10 snapper each day for the three of us and a handful of kahawai, gurnard and trevally. Nothing big but good fun as the fishing comp usually are. Once this big moon starts to wane I would expect the fish to bite hard and the smaller tides may make the weed less problematic.
same here noticed red weed in quantity last weekend for first time this season found fishing hard also    
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tariksthetix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 12:02pm
Tariksthetix View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

After two failed fishing trips last week on the Hauraki gulf, we decided to head off to the Manukau on Sunday.

Started off very slow with an outgoing tide, small snappers and tons of weed so we moved out to the 20m mark in the middle of the harbour and once it came close to the change of tide (around 12 pm) the bite started with no weed.

First fish was a nice 35cm Gurnard, followed by two very large Kahawai, a trevally and many good sized snapper.

Something busted my dads line off, was very heavy and strong and pulled his line hard. Since there's no foul we just thought it was a shark.

Me hoping it was a kingy, I put on a whole jack mack and 10 minutes later I hooked up to a 35kg + school shark. Great fight and good fun on a really bad tiny rod. My rig had 100lb line tho with good knots so they held nicely.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 3:40pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Tariksthetix Tariksthetix wrote:

After two failed fishing trips last week on the Hauraki gulf, we decided to head off to the Manukau on Sunday.

Started off very slow with an outgoing tide, small snappers and tons of weed so we moved out to the 20m mark in the middle of the harbour and once it came close to the change of tide (around 12 pm) the bite started with no weed.

First fish was a nice 35cm Gurnard, followed by two very large Kahawai, a trevally and many good sized snapper.

Something busted my dads line off, was very heavy and strong and pulled his line hard. Since there's no foul we just thought it was a shark.

Me hoping it was a kingy, I put on a whole jack mack and 10 minutes later I hooked up to a 35kg + school shark. Great fight and good fun on a really bad tiny rod. My rig had 100lb line tho with good knots so they held nicely.

Nice work Tarik!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 10:47am
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Had a great day on the briny yesterday. Headed to 40m, no wind, glassy flat so decided to try a drift to see what was down there.
Scored a few Carrots and a nice Kahawai, but only one 29cm snapper which went back. Put down the anchor and burley and did not take long for the bites to come on, and had a steady stream of Snapper, Kahawai and Gurnard coming on board over the next few hours. Wind stayed away and water got clearer. I have never seen such blue water that close in. While anchored the tide line drifted past us bring all sorts of debris, feathers, baitfish and then the work ups, with what i assume was tuna chasing the anchovies or similar making them spray accoss the surface, very cool to see and a new experience for me.

No gannet action, but sporatic bait signs on way home, so we pulled a couple tuna lures for 30mins for no joy, then after packing up, spotted some gannets diving so quickly put one lure our which was instantly hit, good fight, but only a big kahawai about 2.2 klios.

Bar was flat on way in, followed by the normal washing machine at the heads, and by the time we rounded grahams beach the sea breeze was cranking and harbour got quite nasty until clarks beach. Awesome day out, Gotta love this coast.

Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 4:15pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

fishing outer harbour fishing was a bit slow and a lot windier than forecast - had to move several times - first spot got a lot of flow and heaps of red weed - ended up with a feed for both of us - larger trevally was 44cm.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 5:15pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice work guys. Windy as today so didn't go out
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 5:31pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yes the wind has picked up glad I took Thursday off and did not wait for the weekend. Smoked Kahawai for tea. Yummy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 9:29am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

fishing outer harbour fishing was a bit slow and a lot windier than forecast - had to move several times - first spot got a lot of flow and heaps of red weed - ended up with a feed for both of us - larger trevally was 44cm.

Really nice trevally John -did you weigh it ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 11:47am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Nice shot of the sink ... what did it weigh
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 1:16pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Nice work guys. Windy as today so didn't go out

Isn't it funny how it was flat calm all week, but Saturday and Sunday are windy.  I see it's forecast to drop again tomorrow, bloody typical.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 11:29am
AlexRecurve View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I think the 15knot wind put most folk off yesterday, but knowing it was offshore and a minuscule swell we crossed the bar and tucked in close off Hamiltons Gap.  Went real shallow and loaded up on the snaps and a few gurnard too.  Kahawai were a constant and I literally couldn't get a sabiki to the seabed as there was a school of fat jack-macks parked up under the boat.  One of those rare days where the sea is alive with fish and they are all hungry!

I always set a live-bait on a heavy weight straight below the boat and was disappointed it didn't get taken by a king, so come low tide we decided to head further North to try trolling livea-baits elsewhere.  The wind by this stage was gusting 20knots and we were getting drenched trying to round the Western Shoals so decided that would be as good a place as any to fish.  Proved a good decision as I got this 13kg king.  Great fight on light gear and took me on a couple of circuits of the boat before it was landed.

Also saw 4 mauis dolphins which stayed around long enough to photograph - and that's a first for me!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 11:34am
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice one Alex. Thats a great looking fish well done. Awesome to hear of your Maui sighting, I always ring any sighting in to Doc, please feel free to contact them on
  '[email protected]' if you do put the report through, they rely on reports from fisherman, as you know the weather is not always favourable to carry out their surveys.

Page  <1 192193194195196 288>