Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 190191192193194 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 8:37pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Tonto2 Tonto2 wrote:

. This is what's been happening to our livies
Little I would be guessing
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 8:44pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

.    These are the culprits
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 9:18pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

.    These are the culprits
I feel your pain those little hammers are always harassing livies. Where were you fishing Tonto?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 9:20pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

. This is what's been happening to our livies
small sharks take tail first so I was told. Kings head first?
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 9:27pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I've had heaps of livies with bites out of the middle. Hammers often do that. With smaller livies that would just leave the head and maybe a little bit of the back end to sink away
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 9:49pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tried crab island, or as I like to call it now Baby shark island do do de doot doot.
Also staked out our old stomping ground close to Waiau pa wharf, no sharks but no kingis either. Have tried bigger Kahawhai livies also but no luck yet. The Grandkids are only good for 2 hour trips maximum so we will keep trying. They are staying at Waiau pa for a few days so hoping to try again on Thursday afternoon.
Her biggest king so far is 650mm when she was 7. Oldest is 10 now so I,m feeling the pressure to deliverLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 10:00pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

We've had success in those areas. Try outgoing tide at Waiua Pa right next to the current line.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 8:54am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Headed out over the waikato bar as planned yesterday.
 Intending to maybe get a couple skippies or something if the opportunity came up..

Heading out went over the biggest wave out the back I have a skipped over...crew  and I where very happy how that went..it was not breaking, or going to , just close to it.Thumbs Up
Just got to love good power on a bar, get places instant and climbs without hesitation.

Then just after radioing back to CG safe over, get surrounded by about a doz mui dolphins.. 2nd time this has happened in last couple weeks. huge thrill for the crew especially to see such cute endangered species so close up.

As usual prime objective was good company, day on the water a feed.
Saw a bit of sign at the 20m mark.. did a quick drop and a couple low 30s in the bin.. start of the feed objective.. then went quiet.
So headed out to around the 30m mark a favorite...went to the seaward side of the mark and hit very  blue water crossing a current.
Drop lines and a burley...
After 5 or 10 mins and another couple low 30s pannies..Feed for all 3 families accomplished, the crew (not me.. again) where bring in pannies one after another, mixed with a few ave gurnard and some rather large KY.
 Crew where fairly new to fishing , borrowed our spare 'guest' gear... so where having a ball...
Doesnt get much better than that for a skipper..
Then my rod ran.. a nice 50s snapper..then a mid 30s pannies.. dropped a nice KY at the boat.. that was my day..

Decided to pull the pin 30 mins early..
 I knew the swell would be coming up around when intended to re cross the bar 1 1/2 to 2hrs after full tide.
Which meant getting back in about an hr after the full.

Pulled the burley, left lines out while washed and stowed everything else away.. couple more nice high 30s pannies.
Then about 30 m out the back.. landward side.. a marlin jumps right on the edge of the blue water... and again.
I dont have or own any gear for that sort of thing...but do have gear for tuna...
I quickly set up the trolling gear, and thinking while doing so
"swell just starting to increase, bar climbing about 30 mins back..."
 Gear ready to go and made the call "no" trolling back or part way, will add too much time to the swell at the bar.
 Stowed the gear and headed home steady 23 mph.

Back out side and the larger sets the last swell was just breaking across the posts on shore we line up with.
 This is a 1st for me as skipper.
And sort of expected..

counted the sets Called in CG counted the swells and sat on the back of a smallish swell.
 Bluntly Growled one of the crew for looking forward when was told , no matter what you watch for an swells or wave catching up to us..
 and then one did start to catch up.
 Quick look and was not going to be an issue , sat bit closer to swell in front and it dropped to nothing as we where inside...
Knew the bigger swell was still behind and would meet the remains of that heading up the inside of the bar. So stayed more to the bar side, so hand enough room to straighten in its direction towards the shore on the left.. It came through without issues.
Thanked CG headed home to hoods fast cruise 38 mph most of the way.
 Pulled the boat out, strapped down, and a beer each for the 5min drive home to process the pre gutted fish.

Result about 24 pannies , the 50 , 2 nice ky and couple gurnard...

Next window.. I dont see one till maybe after 5th feb.

Maybe head up the harbour, have a go at a couple kingies inside the head, and a feed scallops on the way home??

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 10:09am
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Awesome to hear of your Maui sighting Steps, a dozen in one group is amazing, did you get any footage, that would be so cool to share.
I always ring any sighting in to Doc, please feel free to contact them on
  '[email protected]' if you do put the report through.

Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 11:47am
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

We've had success in those areas. Try outgoing tide at Waiua Pa right next to the current line.

Roger will give that a go tomorrow avo
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 11:49am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great report Steps👍
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 2:28pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That is the second report I've heard of a marlin sighting off the Port in close. Don't tell a soul until after the Classic please Steps Wink. Good report too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 4:19pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome to hear of your Maui sighting Steps, a dozen in one group is amazing, did you get any footage,.......
..... please feel free to contact them on
  '[email protected]' if you do put the report through.

Guilty and bloody guilty Geek
 Over the yrs seen so much different strange wonderful stuff, from dolphon pods a 1000 or so strong cover many miles..huge area where 1000s huge king fish mating and no one can catch one. orca coming up at the stern by suprise.. 4m away.
 Something happens damn near every trip..
 Started taking pics yrs ago, but just fill the phone and in the end dont get looked at again
 Also my phone goes away.. except if the wife rings or txt.
 And if she txted an Im busy I may rem to answer usually dont till back at the car.
I I do take a pic when a crew gets a PB for them on our boat.

Others are busy snapping away.. I just look after the helm and drive so they can get their best shots.

And uploading.. well its hard enough to go thru find pics of 'how to.." I have uploaded because of other random pics of bins fish and stuff, and cant delete due to site permissions

That is the second report I've heard of a marlin sighting off the Port in close.
 yep also my 2nd, maybe same source..about a week ago...and within that same area.

Want to know where?.. cost a crew ride on a boat after marlin.. just to see one actually caught..
 Anyone need a sober driver ?Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TimTheEagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 4:53pm
TimTheEagle View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Good to hear those boulders are gone Legacy - they looked pretty menacing.  Will give Huia a go next time.

Nice report Steps.  You would have known you were alive today when those waves are chasing you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 8:44pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nah...rem the crew 1st time over..

Hell I have been in far greater crap and far more thrilling,  acrossing the bottom of Tamaki channel from  bottom waiheke channel to Mareatai .. normally a 8min trip turned to a 54 min, waves breaking at shoulder level...

On the bar didnt have to deal a single bit of white water.
 Every time we crossed , even thu very flat, maybe more chop...I have practiced riding the back of swells for quite some time now.. its always been flat.
And found it a damn sight easier to ride the back of a bigger swell than a small one...
Bloody thing doesnt disappear into the chop in front of you as easy Wink

It was still flat... it was going to be an hr later, tide dropped more , swell picked up and white water right across.
Tide tables  and weather / swell maps said so and as always where right.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 10:53am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Shot out for a fish this morning on Huia bank - choppy and quite slow fishing.  Hooked up on second Kahawai while bringing in other rod went mad and this fella turned up!  92cm 8.5kg.

Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 11:11am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

wow ,great catch. On bait.? Its the unexpected that makes a good fishing trip become a great fishing trip.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TimTheEagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 11:12am
TimTheEagle View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Great work MacSkipper.  That would have been fun and they are tasty.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 1:33pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

wow ,great catch. On bait.? Its the unexpected that makes a good fishing trip become a great fishing trip.
yes on pillie - I think it heard kahawai struggling and thought it was gobbling fragments of fish so hovered up and wham reel was screaming on first run and luckily knots held!  great day out!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 1:36pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

yes on pillie - was pulling in a kahawai and i think kingi heard fish struggling and hovered up debris in water - other rod bowed over and reel was screaming on first run - luckily knots held - great day out!
Went from very average day to best of season in a few minutes.
Page  <1 190191192193194 288>