Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 189190191192193 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote olfishbelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 11:07am
olfishbelly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks everyone for the information. That cleared up a lot of confusions for me. My brother-in-law can't do Monday now so we're looking at Tuesday. Looks like similar conditions.Out at low tide and back in at high tide as Mac said. We have a 5m runabout with 110 on the back, so plenty of power. Will definitely do a bar crossing report. Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kaplin14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 12:00pm
Kaplin14 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys just after a little help. Bought my first bought and have gone out about four times for only 2 snaps all up lols. It's getting too the point where the wife is getting annoyed at me waisting so much on gas for no reward😅😅. So just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction pls.

Mainly just been trying around the papakura channel using ledger rig and stray lining. Thanks in advance
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 1:15pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Try fishing the edges of the channels, use enough weight to ensure your sinker stays on the bottom. Keep your baits small - make sure your baits don't spin around in the current. Squid is a good choice.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kaplin14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 1:41pm
Kaplin14 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the help smudge all I've been catching alot of is stingrays lols. Just need 2 try find something that will keep the wife happy so she keeps giving me gas money😅😅
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 4:22am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kaplin14 Kaplin14 wrote:

Thanks for the help smudge all I've been catching alot of is stingrays lols. Just need 2 try find something that will keep the wife happy so she keeps giving me gas money😅😅
Something is not right I havent caught a stingray in years in Manukau now (probably means I will catch 2 today!) - I tend to fish flasher rigs with squid & pilies and fish 1-2 hrs each side of slack water - typical anchor up 2 hrs before high or low tide you need a bit of weight to get to bottom in flow as Smudge says - Usually Kahawai in flow snaps gurnard etc closer to slack water.  If nothing or gold fish (undersized Snapper) after half an hr move.   Move along channel edge slowly looking for sign then stop there side of channel usually best... 
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 7:43am
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got a txt from my Son last night.He landed a 80cm snapper off the end of the Matakawawau ramp right on dusk.Land based.In the chilli bin in the garage.
An old money 20lber.Personal best for my boy.So happy for him.
Measured it myself this morning after my shift.
What a blessing that harbour is to our people.
Hug
Must have been a great battle on a 15' Killwell Beach boss rod eh.
Peace.Via superior firepower..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kaplin14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 7:46am
Kaplin14 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Mac il make sure I try that next time I head out. I've been using fresh mullet as bait but il try out squid next time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 8:23am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by 3rnzir 3rnzir wrote:

Got a txt from my Son last night.He landed a 80cm snapper off the end of the Matakawawau ramp right on dusk.Land based.In the chilli bin in the garage.
An old money 20lber.Personal best for my boy.So happy for him.
Measured it myself this morning after my shift.
What a blessing that harbour is to our people.
Hug
Must have been a great battle on a 15' Killwell Beach boss rod eh.

Man that is a wicked fish Rob! You taught him how to fish so that's pretty much your fish Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 8:26am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Thanks Mac il make sure I try that next time I head out. I've been using fresh mullet as bait but il try out squid next time.

Mullet is as good a bait as you will get, but it's always good to have squid also. 

How deep are you fishing? We tend not to catch many rays these days
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kaplin14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 9:42am
Kaplin14 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Mullet is as good a bait as you will get, but it's always good to have squid also. 

I've mainly been trying round 15 to 20 ish meters. Do I need come more into shore to where it's a bit more shallow?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 11:20am
Titanium
Titanium

Fished near Harbour entrance 7 Snapper largest 54cm and 2 Kahawai in 11M.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TimTheEagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 12:31pm
TimTheEagle View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thats a good haul MacSkipper.  You must be close to high or low tide to make the current tolerable.  How big were your sinkers?  
We were out over the bar on Saturday and fished 55m, 50, 45, 35 and finally 30 before coming back in.  We got 4 Kahawai, 1 Trev and an undersized kingfish (64cm).  No sharks or snapper.

Went back into the harbor and anchored off Taratara Point but found the current was to high to get to the bottom but alas anchor was stuck solid.  I use an anchor buddy and thought I might lose that and the anchor, rope and chain.  However managed to stretch the rope enough to get the buddy back into the boat.  Then we did some more manoeuvring and the anchor came free.  When we got it up we found that one of the danforth's flukes had most of it's welds broken so it bent and released.  Called it a day after that but it great to get out and now having smoked fish.  Sorry for the delayed report - must try to get onto sooner.

One thing I would add to the discussion on bar crossing is the size of the tides heavily influences how rough it can be too.  I think this contributed to it being a little lumpy but not breaking everywhere we went on Saturday.  
Also I launch at Cornwallis so a big low tide equals prepare to deal with mud and a lot more effort at the ramp - take trailer off, push out to boat, load and drag trailer with strop from vehicle up the beach.  Thinking of checking out Huia.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 12:33pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

I've mainly been trying round 15 to 20 ish meters. Do I need come more into shore to where it's a bit more shallow?

Not necessarily. Try fish the transition of where the channels just start to rise up. There is no particular depth. I usually fish shallower than that but we have places where 20m + works well too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 1:36pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by TimTheEagle TimTheEagle wrote:

Thats a good haul MacSkipper.  You must be close to high or low tide to make the current tolerable.  How big were your sinkers?  
We were out over the bar on Saturday and fished 55m, 50, 45, 35 and finally 30 before coming back in.  We got 4 Kahawai, 1 Trev and an undersized kingfish (64cm).  No sharks or snapper.

Went back into the harbor and anchored off Taratara Point but found the current was to high to get to the bottom but alas anchor was stuck solid.  I use an anchor buddy and thought I might lose that and the anchor, rope and chain.  However managed to stretch the rope enough to get the buddy back into the boat.  Then we did some more manoeuvring and the anchor came free.  When we got it up we found that one of the danforth's flukes had most of it's welds broken so it bent and released.  Called it a day after that but it great to get out and now having smoked fish.  Sorry for the delayed report - must try to get onto sooner.

One thing I would add to the discussion on bar crossing is the size of the tides heavily influences how rough it can be too.  I think this contributed to it being a little lumpy but not breaking everywhere we went on Saturday.  
Also I launch at Cornwallis so a big low tide equals prepare to deal with mud and a lot more effort at the ramp - take trailer off, push out to boat, load and drag trailer with strop from vehicle up the beach.  Thinking of checking out Huia.
not super heavy sinkers - current varies in harbour according to spot.
Bummer about the anchor - if its a rocky bottom I prefer to use a grapple but sometimes by the time you find out its stuck.
Yes big tides mean more flow and rougher on bar - particularly big outgoing tides bar can get real nasty real quick.
Little Huia is ok all tides though larger boats launch from beach as ramp gets to shallow at low tide and a 4WD is required for beach launching.   I have a 4.4M and use ramp there any tide in a 2WD toyota station wagon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 9:26pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The honorary Mayor of the Manukau harbour gave me a few tips on catching kingi in the harbour. We used catch quite a few many years ago so we gave it a third attempt today to get my 10 year granddaughter hooked up by no cigar. Adding salt to the wounds was the lady in the gas station telling us everyone's catching them.
😲. Nevertheless we shall perciveer and be victorious.😀

slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 1:13pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

TimtheEagle - We were out wide on Saturday and we too found the bar coming in at Half tide on an outgoing tide to be very lumpy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TimTheEagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 6:27pm
TimTheEagle View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

MacSkipper my boat is a 5.5m Surtees so doesn't need much water and I tow it with an old 4wd.I need to check out Little Huia at low tide as I remember there are some quite big boulders when i looked a while ago unless they are gone now.  I see some old posts saying things were going to change like parking in the paddock.  Did that ever happen?

Yes Joker - quite lumpy.  The only thing quaranteed is that the trip will never be the same twice - always different.  Don't giveup Tonto - victory will be sweet.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 6:44pm
Titanium
Titanium

MacSkipper my boat is a 5.5m Surtees so doesn't need much water and I tow it with an old 4wd.I need to check out Little Huia at low tide as I remember there are some quite big boulders when i looked a while ago unless they are gone now.  I see some old posts saying things were going to change like parking in the paddock.  Did that ever happen?

Yes Joker - quite lumpy.  The only thing quaranteed is that the trip will never be the same twice - always different.  Don't giveup Tonto - victory will be sweet.

yes paddock open over summer on a good day for bar in weekend almost fills up.
Most bigger boats launch from beach no problem I dont know about boulders -  your 5.5 you could go from beach or ramp.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 6:46pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

. This is what's been happening to our livies
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 7:56pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Outgoing tide is usually bad especially in the middle of the run - incoming tide usually flattens things down .
Around low tide most big boats use the ramp: chance to get stuck in the soft sand and mud on the beach at or near low tide.
A lot of the rocks were dragged out a couple years ago but still be careful near low tide.
Only on the very big/small tides is it difficult for really big boats to launch at dead low on the ramp.
Launching off the rocks on the left of the ramp as you’re facing down the ramp on low tide is possible and maybe easier too.
Page  <1 189190191192193 288>