Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 186187188189190 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 7:04am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Had a quick fish this evening. Got the scallops pretty easily but their condition isn't the best. Managed around 15 snapper for the 2 of us - all between 30 and 35. Got the fish in 3m on the last of the outgoing to start of incoming.
good fishing photos please I like pictures!

I only took a couple, none of the fish ...

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 5:03pm
AlexRecurve View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Had that one on a small kahawai.  They're not the best livies but they do work when the kings are hungry.   Need to be real small though: 20cm seems ideal.  Snack size!  Plus they are the easiest to catch in the harbour.  Anchor up in the shallows.  Lob out the berley and wait.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 5:04pm
AlexRecurve View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sorry - that last comment was a reply to Cirrus question posted a few days ago.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 7:15pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Alex. Will get there and when the right livie turns up,in to it.
Find piper which kingis seem to love are also enjoyed by small snapper.
Long time since i caught a kingi in the manukau. Alot of that is caused by focusing on snapper  gurnard or trevelly. Time for a change.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2019 at 4:40am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

Thanks Alex. Will get there and when the right livie turns up,in to it.
Find piper which kingis seem to love are also enjoyed by small snapper.
Long time since i caught a kingi in the manukau. Alot of that is caused by focusing on snapper  gurnard or trevelly. Time for a change.
In last 2 weeks have twice caught undersized Kingis (50cm)on baits so definitely around - both went back so they can get bigger put up a great fight!
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2019 at 11:02pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Against my better judgement I agreed to give it a shot today. A good solid 20 knot sou' wester was blowing. I figured it was going to ease off. It didn't. That's all good, will fish in the shelter around Matakawau. There was no shelter.

Undersized snapper were plentiful and it took dedication to finally catch a Jack mackerel for a live bait,. That resulted in the only keepable food fish for the day. Not the king we were hoping for but a slabby little kahawai of around a kilo.
We moved for no better result.

We then left the shelter of the nearby hills to try our luck out in the middle of some surprisingly clear water. an easy trip with a following sea.

At our destination we decided it was just too rough to anchor so we thought it would be an even better idea to drag for some scallops. it wasn't a good idea and I made the call to head back.  That was probably the only good decision of the day!

We absolutely smashed our way across the flats and our next smart decision was to try for a kingfish at spot x in a very sheltered spot which was very close to home. We couldn't get the anchor to hold. It wasn't as sheltered as we thought it would be and snagging the live bait line and having to bust it off was the final straw. 500m back to the boat ramp and there were a bunch of guys swimming/diving/fooling around so we had to bide our time while we waited for them to get out of our way. 
Idiots. But there were lots of them so I just smiled and said hello.

The kahawai ended up in the bait freezer and that was our day. Cold, wet & disappointed. One of my worst fishing days. Should have trusted my gut instinct eh.

The forecast was a little optimistic, the weather didn't settle down as we thought it would & we couldn't get to any of our regular spots.

You've heard the story of a bad day's fishing? This time I truly would have preferred to be at work Big smile

Good with the bad though Smudge, not often we get hammered like that. 

Stay safe out there.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 7:09am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Smudge! A great read for a bad day Fishing all the Same! Happy up coming New Years to Ya! The wind kicked in a bit early down this way spoiling the Xmas Four Day Comp. Got a few hours in on day one, then she started blowing! Two days left but its not looking flash. Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 7:13am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hey Geoff, happy new years to you too. Yeah the wind has been nasty here just no let up - well not on the days I can go fishing. bugger about the comp, still it's all part of it. Makes you hungrier for next year!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 7:25am
Titanium
Titanium

Against my better judgement I agreed to give it a shot today. A good solid 20 knot sou' wester was blowing. I figured it was going to ease off. It didn't. That's all good, will fish in the shelter around Matakawau. There was no shelter.

Undersized snapper were plentiful and it took dedication to finally catch a Jack mackerel for a live bait,. That resulted in the only keepable food fish for the day. Not the king we were hoping for but a slabby little kahawai of around a kilo.

We then left the shelter of the nearby hills to try our luck out in the middle of some surprisingly clear water. an easy trip with a following sea.

At our destination we decided it was just too rough to anchor so we thought it would be an even better idea to drag for some scallops. it wasn't a good idea and I made the call to head back.  That was probably the only good decision of the day!

We absolutely smashed our way across the flats and our next smart decision was to try for a kingfish at spot x in a very sheltered spot which was very close to home. We couldn't get the anchor to hold. It wasn't as sheltered as we thought it would be and snagging the live bait line and having to bust it off was the final straw. 500m back to the boat ramp and there were a bunch of guys swimming/diving/fooling around so we had to bide our time while we waited for them to get out of our way. 

The kahawai ended up in the bait freezer and that was our day. Cold, wet & disappointed. One of my worst fishing days. Should have trusted my gut instinct eh.

The forecast was a little optimistic, the weather didn't settle down as we thought it would & we couldn't get to any of our regular spots.

You've heard the story of a bad day's fishing? This time I truly would have preferred to be at work Big smile

Stay safe out there.

It was nasty at Huia Saturday surprised you went out though appreciated the honest report  - Sunday looks a lot better this morning....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 7:50am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

Stay safe out there.

It was nasty at Huia Saturday surprised you went out though appreciated the honest report  - Sunday looks a lot better this morning....

we've been out in some bad stuff. The wind direction was a little more southerly than I anticipated, on a westerly we're pretty sheltered here.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 8:30am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We did the basic same trip as my post above the day before..
 Wife and one of the  young grandchildren..
 Went out for a feed of scallops early as the SW was to pick up during the day. Which would chop up the water further away from the Peninsula later.
 Grandson was in control of the helm while scalloping.. he did find it a bit of a challenge staying straight with chop one direction, current another and wind another, and the wife and I walking around tilting the boat...
The by far best drag was his most crooked route...
food for thought?

Then headed up big bay No2 marker for change of tide.
Like you lot bait used, lot nibblers...
 Unlike your..nothing at all in the bin.

The trip home was ok , as lea of land all the way back.

Good day out thu..
 Which is what it is all about..
 Watching next Wed for a window at the bar.. shaping up to be granny day going over and out wide..
Who will be sober enough to head out?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote fishz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 7:08pm
fishz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

My bro this arvo same area in kura channel Steps.Around low incoming.My turn tomorrow.Not the only fish squid bait 7kg 80cm.
Rodger.Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 8:42pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very nice Thumbs Up
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 9:40pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

wowee that's a nice fish alright fishz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 9:44am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice.
 looking at the bar today.. not the best...most likely head up that way later on over the top of the tide.
Bright orange Sea Nymph with dark brown Bimini..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 10:36am
fishz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Say hello Ika Tane.Very similar boat.Rodger.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 12:08pm
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Snapper - I fished harbour entrance nice and calm - paddock little Huia almost full of trailers so many out even on New Years day.
Caught a 50cm Snap and 44cm Trev.  Cheers,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 4:37pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice harbour Fishing John!Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 8:08am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I actually managed to get out for a quick fish yesterday.  Pretty busy at the ramp with lots of trailers parked up, but that's not surprising as it was the only day for a while with a good forecast for heading out over the bar -and there was a very steady flow of boats calling in bar crossing reports.

Fishing the incoming we headed into the Papakura channel, not somewhere I'd usually fish once the tide is flowing but it was a small tide and we could get to the bottom with a 10oz sinker.  Almost as soon as the sinker hit the bottom there was pulling on the line and within minutes of anchoring up I pulled the first fish aboard.  Nothing stunning, a snapper of just over 30cm.  As it was the first fish of the year I thought I'd let it go for good luck, but that didn't work.  For the rest of the time we were there we got plagued with undersized snapper stripping the bait off as soon as it was down.  So we headed back up the Waiuku channel, stopping off at the top of ropers and the rose garden on the way back -but no luck there.  It was good to actually get out there though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 9:44am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The CCTV on the Waikato looked ok yesterday morning .. so filled up and headed down to hoods.
But was thinking that light SW would have a bit of a chop and the swell periods closed up so a trip out to 50/60m would be a bit slow and uncomfortable...

At the ramp chatted to a couple local guys/ boats just come in.
This is what I love about around here...locals help locals, even new locals..
 Anyway he jumps up in his boat , opens his bin and a good feed of fish from around 30s to high 40s cm...
 Well that what we are going for, anything else is bonus.
 Then turns on his Garmin and tells us where should go and says take a pic for reference..
I asked him how did he get his boat (bit bigger thaqn our 5.5m, up the creeks with tide so low.
 " put it on the plain and go for it"
 At this point have a look at Coxies latest video to get an idea of the creek...few zig zags there.
Im still in the motor trimmed up take time and wave other boats thru if come up behind.. then follow them Thumbs Up

Anyway get to the bar, and yeah as Coxie mentioned it has changed.. bit narrower inside so will have to watch hanging to seaward side watch the side swells once back in before the 1st bouys.

Expected the crossing to be a bit more choppy, no breakers at all.. and out.
Then headed sth and around the 25/30m mark... Drifted landwards, rather quite, lot of pickers and a couple 30 ish in the bin.
 Locals saying its harder fishing out there this time of yr, so thats ok.
Headed back out, dropped the anchor.. pretty quite other than lot pickers... and several more small pannies in the bin.
 Then a nice 42 came inside by one of the crew.. a member on holiday up here and wanted to go for a fish..he reconed it was near to if not his biggest snap...They dont get snapper down their way.
I brought in a little shark..and our guest asked if we eat them...it went in the bin, and he would show us how to fillet them laterThumbs Up
Then decided to head a bit further nth on the same line, drop anchor and after a few minutes, thru the pickers came another steady stream of small pannies  and my regular crew member brought in a nice high 40s snap.
Because very light breeze in the SW..  stronger not good for the bar decided to be back over within 1 1/2 hrs after full tide..
Crossing back good and clean no white water.. but just inside a little tinny anchored fishing..
Again this raised a possible concern.. the narrower channel, and if get a large swell come over the bar....murphies law.. will happen where he is and will not be able to swing the helm as as not to breach....by the time we got level, the swells where not coming over so all good.

Home wash down, fillet fish, few beers..
 more than 1 feed per family
 Good company
 Good day on the water..

OH pulled some mounting screws in the pedisal base of skippers seat out before the bar.. I always stand and lean back against the seat when traveling in chop/ swell.. seat was positioned exactly for me by me for that many yrs ago.
Slowed , crew ripped the rest of it out and stowed away in the cabin before the bar.
 Dry out holes, pump epoxy in, re dill new holes and maybe if possible larger screws.
 All good.

Page  <1 186187188189190 288>