Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 185186187188189 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 10:13am
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yay for Kingis 
Thanks for the heads up Smudge, I really want to get my 10 year old Grandaughter on to her first decent Kingi so I will get out and try to hook her up on a livie.
I haven't personally targeted kingis in the Manukau for years so looking forward to trying.
Cheers
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 12:48pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Had a slow mid morning fish in the Waiuku channel on Saturday, and came home with 4 keepers but was tough going. Lots of manukau pickers and no decent bites apart from the stingray which was a good fight in the current before trace parted way.
Seen photos of some nice fish from 45m on same morning, 75cm was the second largest, and easy fishing over the early morning bite.
Thanks for the report smudge, looking forward to those romantic evenings watching sunset/moon rise and bent rods.

Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 3:59pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

On the coast, what is the best bite time, high or low?
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 9:42am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We intended heading over the wiakato bar on Sunday..
 Swell was down thu and bar looked a little choppy for going out.. and in a 5.5m heading out to the 50/60m mark wasnt going to be the most comfortable
Then looked like wind wanted to pick up and change direction just before we where due to come in for couple hrs and die back again.
 So pulled the plug and decided to head up the Waiuku channel and do a bit of prospecting up towards inside the heads/ huia way over the top of the tide later in the day.
 Dont have much (and thats an over statement) knowledge on the Manukau yet.

1st stop was off across from Matakauau...did a bit of a quick  drift and dropped a low 30s snap in the bin...
 And moved on up.
 Saw a couple boats dragging for scallops, and looked to be doing it hard. A local told me to hit the side of channels... so went out to the other side of the other boats a mile or so away. 1st drag got 5. So decided to drag longer in the same direction... next 7...
 But the net was falling apart.. 3 cable ties back in business
same direction again  10 and bigger.
Same direction Another 10.
 Another cable tie fix
This time decided to go right angles.. pulled in 12 which put us over the limit.. upsized a couple in the tank
 Dropped over a couple lines and drifted back over the dredge line for a 'long shot'. And at the same time cleaned up the scallop mess on the carpets...just got to have a pressure pump hose on a boat..sorts out so easy.

That put another low 30s snap on the bin... and it is surprising how a well undersized snap will hook on a 7/0 when the big bait has been nibbled down.

All cleaned up so heading nth to a steep , maybe rock drop off, out in the channels, on the charts.. and drift it.
Got to one end and started the drift, not a lot happening, then some terns diving about 1/2 km further nth.
 So dropped outy a couple KY lures and a SB trolled up there, around the high side and positioned so could drift back thru them.
 Wife has a standing order for some KY (smoked for pies/ cakes etc), and my salted bait supply getting down due to neighbours and son raiding my burly/ bait freezer.
 Started casting out the sb rod, m8 with a lure.. he starts hitting , I get one little one. So I go to the bigger rod and a lure and both doing ok.
It was a bit of a hassle both on , netting, and these things where full on , and dropping a few at the boat.
 M8 said he can sort the net and dropping. He was watching an old documentary on catching tuna on lines...guy flipping them straight into the boat.
 So it was get to the boat, and as they jump, yell "incoming" and the ky would fip over our shoulder into the boat.. and the other person duckingWink
 Hey it worked and no one ignored the warning "duck"

Heading back up to ther birds diving saw in the distance another bunch and some orka working around them.
 So trolled another 0.5/ 3/4 km up there.
3 adults a teenager and a youngster.
 We went the opposite side to the ball they where reforming... then it became obvious they where using our boat top contain the ball on the surface on the opposite side to us.. this was so cool.

So we do a couple drifts, more ky in the buckets replacing what already had been gutted out.
 Then decided we need to gut these out before dropping in the bin, and while doing so , drift the bottom with stray lines see if any snapper.
 This put another 5 or 6  low to mid 30s snaps in the bin.

Now the outgoing tide has picked up...after 3 ish.. or was it 4??
Another typical, very busy, interesting , eventful day, with  each family having more than 1 good feed of snapper.
Replenished the bait freezer(sort of.. good for another 4 or 5 trips at least)
 Enough KY for a big bowl of marinated fish (lemon juice chives coconut etc)
 And still fill 4 of the 5 shelves in the smoker and replenish the frozen vac pac supplies in all families freezer, and give some away.

Yep it was a big excellent day.. cant say "long" cause we went out around 9ish cleaned up fish processed by about 6:30pm.. because we where doing what we love with good company without a clock.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 10:15am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

We intended heading over the wiakato bar on Sunday..
 Swell was down thu and bar looked a little choppy for going out.. and in a 5.5m heading out to the 50/60m mark wasnt going to be the most comfortable
Then looked like wind wanted to pick up and change direction just before we where due to come in for couple hrs and die back again.
 So pulled the plug and decided to head up the Waiuku channel and do a bit of prospecting up towards inside the heads/ huia way over the top of the tide later in the day.
 Dont have much (and thats an over statement) knowledge on the Manukau yet.

1st stop was off across from Matakauau...did a bit of a quick  drift and dropped a low 30s snap in the bin...
 And moved on up.
 Saw a couple boats dragging for scallops, and looked to be doing it hard. A local told me to hit the side of channels... so went out to the other side of the other boats a mile or so away. 1st drag got 5. So decided to drag longer in the same direction... next 7...
 But the net was falling apart.. 3 cable ties back in business
same direction again  10 and bigger.
Same direction Another 10.
 Another cable tie fix
This time decided to go right angles.. pulled in 12 which put us over the limit.. upsized a couple in the tank
 Dropped over a couple lines and drifted back over the dredge line for a 'long shot'. And at the same time cleaned up the scallop mess on the carpets...just got to have a pressure pump hose on a boat..sorts out so easy.

That put another low 30s snap on the bin... and it is surprising how a well undersized snap will hook on a 7/0 when the big bait has been nibbled down.

All cleaned up so heading nth to a steep , maybe rock drop off, out in the channels, on the charts.. and drift it.
Got to one end and started the drift, not a lot happening, then some terns diving about 1/2 km further nth.
 So dropped outy a couple KY lures and a SB trolled up there, around the high side and positioned so could drift back thru them.
 Wife has a standing order for some KY (smoked for pies/ cakes etc), and my salted bait supply getting down due to neighbours and son raiding my burly/ bait freezer.
 Started casting out the sb rod, m8 with a lure.. he starts hitting , I get one little one. So I go to the bigger rod and a lure and both doing ok.
It was a bit of a hassle both on , netting, and these things where full on , and dropping a few at the boat.
 M8 said he can sort the net and dropping. He was watching an old documentary on catching tuna on lines...guy flipping them straight into the boat.
 So it was get to the boat, and as they jump, yell "incoming" and the ky would fip over our shoulder into the boat.. and the other person duckingWink
 Hey it worked and no one ignored the warning "duck"

Heading back up to ther birds diving saw in the distance another bunch and some orka working around them.
 So trolled another 0.5/ 3/4 km up there.
3 adults a teenager and a youngster.
 We went the opposite side to the ball they where reforming... then it became obvious they where using our boat top contain the ball on the surface on the opposite side to us.. this was so cool.

So we do a couple drifts, more ky in the buckets replacing what already had been gutted out.
 Then decided we need to gut these out before dropping in the bin, and while doing so , drift the bottom with stray lines see if any snapper.
 This put another 5 or 6  low to mid 30s snaps in the bin.

Now the outgoing tide has picked up...after 3 ish.. or was it 4??
Another typical, very busy, interesting , eventful day, with  each family having more than 1 good feed of snapper.
Replenished the bait freezer(sort of.. good for another 4 or 5 trips at least)
 Enough KY for a big bowl of marinated fish (lemon juice chives coconut etc)
 And still fill 4 of the 5 shelves in the smoker and replenish the frozen vac pac supplies in all families freezer, and give some away.

Yep it was a big excellent day.. cant say "long" cause we went out around 9ish cleaned up fish processed by about 6:30pm.. because we where doing what we love with good company without a clock.

Great post Steps, enjoyed I missed when you first posted it.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 10:18am
Titanium
Titanium

Fished Papakura channel Sun morning  - lovely day - 9 Snaps largest 44cm, 2 Kahawai and 1 Gurnard.  VERY HAPPY MERRY XMAS!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 10:33am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

off shore I find change of light personally best whereas in harbour tide has big effect?
 I prefer morning because I dont like crossing bar in the dark!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 10:47am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Some good reports there.

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

off shore I find change of light personally best whereas in harbour tide has big effect?
 I prefer morning because I dont like crossing bar in the dark!
\

FishB8 I only cross on low or high tide. I haven't really found the state of the tide to affect fishing all that much.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 8:53am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

great catch macskipper. good to see fish turning up in numbers like that .
gather you must have been out early as it didnt take long for the southerly to start blowing strongly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 7:13am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

great catch macskipper. good to see fish turning up in numbers like that .
gather you must have been out early as it didnt take long for the southerly to start blowing strongly.
Yes when I got back in wind was starting to blow and by midday....out at Huia wind usually picks up after 9am or doesn't drop overnight - one of the benefits of walking dogs 3-4 times a day is you get to observe wind closely.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 7:51am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

My son was out that same day Mac. It was way too rough to go any further than a kilometer or so from te toro. It's dead calm right now but I don't want to leave my xmas shopping till the last minute so I'm going to do that this morning Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 12:10pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

My son was out that same day Mac. It was way too rough to go any further than a kilometer or so from te toro. It's dead calm right now but I don't want to leave my xmas shopping till the last minute so I'm going to do that this morning Big smile

Good on ya smudge. Some body has to buy all their gifts at full retail, before their offered 50-60% off on boxing day LOL.

Merry Christmas to the Manukau Harbour and West coasters.
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 1:03pm
AlexRecurve View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Now that's what I called a concise trip report Steps!  Great read.

Got out on Sunday and had to go solo as all my usual cohorts were busy.  Dead calm at dawn but the SW wind soon picked up. . . .  and didn't it blow some!

Having caught a few livies I scored a frisky king second drift, which put up a great fight.  So much so that whilst i fumbled around trying to get a glove on to tail it aboard, it threw the hook and found its freedom.  Bugger!  Not happy.

With the wind increasing against the tide it was getting really lumpy and I was right on the point of calling it quits  . . . .  and just after the boat next to me had high tailed it off to find shelter . . .  I had another good run on the live bait.  This time a slightly bigger fish around 12kg and no accidents boat-side, so it came home to enjoy Christmas dinner with our family.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 1:23pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by AlexRecurve AlexRecurve wrote:

Now that's what I called a concise trip report Steps!  Great read.

Got out on Sunday and had to go solo as all my usual cohorts were busy.  Dead calm at dawn but the SW wind soon picked up. . . .  and didn't it blow some!

Having caught a few livies I scored a frisky king second drift, which put up a great fight.  So much so that whilst i fumbled around trying to get a glove on to tail it aboard, it threw the hook and found its freedom.  Bugger!  Not happy.

With the wind increasing against the tide it was getting really lumpy and I was right on the point of calling it quits  . . . .  and just after the boat next to me had high tailed it off to find shelter . . .  I had another good run on the live bait.  This time a slightly bigger fish around 12kg and no accidents boat-side, so it came home to enjoy Christmas dinner with our family.
great stuff is hard on your own landing a fish - you were lucky to get a second chance!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 2:00pm
AlexRecurve View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

And here's a photo - wide angle lens makes it look a bit bigger than it was! ( tricks of the trade. )
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 2:16pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice. Beautiful kingy. Do you mind if i ask what sort of livies you use. I struggle to catch lives out there. Have managed piper on a line with float out behind the boat. Problem with piper is, i find ,if any small snapper around they shred them quickly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 4:00pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by AlexRecurve AlexRecurve wrote:

And here's a photo - wide angle lens makes it look a bit bigger than it was! ( tricks of the trade. )

That is a nice conditioned fish. i hope it enjoys his xmas lunch Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2019 at 3:40pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

but the SW wind soon picked up. . . .  and didn't it blow some!

Great pic there AlexR.. yep dead right about that SW coming up ..looks like getting abit rough there...

It is the seas your pic is about .. right?Wink

looking at friday over the waikato bar...
Swell down and been down for a good 24+hrs
 Wind says SSW 10kn going out rising to 12/13 when coming back over...
 Thu Im pretty damn sure it will be next to dead calm because of how wide the isos are.
 Thinking doing similar to report above up the harbour, if looks choppy off the coast or if a wave breaks across the bar ...
 Everyone is either busy, or away overseas in Sth Island/ states / aussie etc..or working.

So looking for crew to share costs
 PM if interested.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 10:57pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Had a quick fish this evening. Got the scallops pretty easily but their condition isn't the best. Managed around 15 snapper for the 2 of us - all between 30 and 35. Got the fish in 3m on the last of the outgoing to start of incoming.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 4:34am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Had a quick fish this evening. Got the scallops pretty easily but their condition isn't the best. Managed around 15 snapper for the 2 of us - all between 30 and 35. Got the fish in 3m on the last of the outgoing to start of incoming.
good fishing photos please I like pictures!
Page  <1 185186187188189 288>