Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 184185186187188 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 11:20pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Huia store,great place for a coffee . Seeing that thresher across the road would be a real bonus. Just never know what turns up out there.
That is a pretty impressive list of Sharks smudge. 

Having a great white checking you out would have been a little unsettling.
Surprised you didnt get on the air waves saying "Beam me up Skoti."Smile

Only time i have come near a possible shark was up the harbour one night just after dark.Hooked something that felt like a truck and very fast. Headed out ,then turned. Came straight toward the boat. Whatever it was hit the boat with a resounding bang and shudder. Line parted,as it went under boat,luckily. 

Up anchored very quickly and off to ramp.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 11:27am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I know a number of people who say they have seen "thresher" sharks in close along beaches (especially Papamoa and Pukehina) and some have taken photos. The ones in photos were all big bronzies in very shallow water with a lot of dorsal and 3 feet or so of tail out of the water. To many people because the tail is long they automatically think it is a thresher. I suspect the vast majority of thresher shark sightings in shallow water are actually just big bronzies.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 2:08pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

👍🏻
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 5:27pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

I know a number of people who say they have seen "thresher" sharks in close along beaches (especially Papamoa and Pukehina) and some have taken photos. The ones in photos were all big bronzies in very shallow water with a lot of dorsal and 3 feet or so of tail out of the water. To many people because the tail is long they automatically think it is a thresher. I suspect the vast majority of thresher shark sightings in shallow water are actually just big bronzies.

your dead right there , the bronzey gets i.d as a thresher for its long slender tail quite alot .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 6:14pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I saw something I thought was really unusual , speculated it may have been ill or something . I’ve caught a few threshers game fishing ( as well as blue and mako sharks ) and in the harbour I’ve caught a few large bronze whalers and white sharks as well as numerous small sharks BUT I’m not sure why I bother posting when two people who weren’t there are saying it was probably a bronze whaler .
I’ll not bother any more-it’s all way too negative for me .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 7:34pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Legacy Legacy wrote:

I saw something I thought was really unusual , speculated it may have been ill or something . I’ve caught a few threshers game fishing ( as well as blue and mako sharks ) and in the harbour I’ve caught a few large bronze whalers and white sharks as well as numerous small sharks BUT I’m not sure why I bother posting when two people who weren’t there are saying it was probably a bronze whaler .
I’ll not bother any more-it’s all way too negative for me .
I found your post interesting Rory and knowing you I am sure it was a thresher - please don't take it personally I am sure a lot do get it wrong!
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 7:55pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thank you John,but I can do without the likes of Marlingator doubting my credibility .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 11:40pm
Titanium
Titanium

Rory, sorry if I offended you, it was not intentional; I was just pointing out that in most cases of people seeing threshers in really shallow water they have actually been bronzies. I did not specifically say you were wrong and now knowing your experience having seen both I believe that it was indeed a thresher. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 6:50am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thank you Vance i appreciate that .
Have fowl hooked a few threshers game fishing, bit of fun watching them use that tail .
Biggest bronze whaler I’ve ever got in the Manukau I fought for 90mins and it was like fighting a bus had it to the boat a few times but ended up high sticking and snapping a game rod on it !
Only seen one really big white pointer (chasing a hooked kahawai in) and those teeth and the size of the thing was a scary sight , never tried to catch a shark again,was a fair few years ago.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 8:34am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Only ever seen one Thrasher, hooked on beach longline 20 odd years ago. four foot body and huge long tail. Coming through surf  the tail pounding back and forth, thought is was some sort of big eel until on beach. Beautiful big eyes I remember and a stunning looking shark. I cut trace in shallows and it made its way back out eventually.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote thebakerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 3:09pm
thebakerman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Barracuda are also good eating. Just ask any South African- they call them snook.Obviously need to be careful of the teeth, but even just a light tap on the head will render them safe to handle.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 3:44pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yeah I don't doubt the thresher story at all. Blue sharks and mako sharks have been sighted and in my mind they are more blue water fish than a thresher, I've seen them off Rangitoto. Bronzies do get get called threshers from time to time as do seven gill sharks which aren't as impressive as a thresher but have a longer tail than a bronzie.  Threshers are really spectacular fish for sure
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 7:50pm
Titanium
Titanium

I have never seen a White Pointer, although a mate (Fitty on here) saw one 2 weeks ago just outside the Bowentown bar about 8ft long and he estimated at about 250kg, like a barrel he said. It had a tag in it and the pectoral fin was damaged, if anybody sees it or knows who tagged it can you contact JohnH on here or myself.

The only really big sharks I have seen was 3 bigggg Tigers on the remains of a Whale out off Toots years ago. They were all 12-15+ feet and who knows how much they weighed. Wynn Going on Tuturangi fought one for 1.5 hrs before the line broke close to the boat and he said it was longer than the width of Tuturangi which had a 14 foot beam and he wouldn't give an estimate of the weight, he just had no idea, it was the biggest shark he had ever seen.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 8:03pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

I have never seen a White Pointer, although a mate (Fitty on here) saw one 2 weeks ago just outside the Bowentown bar about 8ft long and he estimated at about 250kg, like a barrel he said. It had a tag in it and the pectoral fin was damaged, if anybody sees it or knows who tagged it can you contact JohnH on here or myself.

The only really big sharks I have seen was 3 bigggg Tigers on the remains of a Whale out off Toots years ago. They were all 12-15+ feet and who knows how much they weighed. Wynn Going on Tuturangi fought one for 1.5 hrs before the line broke close to the boat and he said it was longer than the width of Tuturangi which had a 14 foot beam and he wouldn't give an estimate of the weight, he just had no idea, it was the biggest shark he had ever seen.

The white I saw wasn't very big, 200kg absolute max and that is probably the biggest shark I've seen in the water but have seen bigger dead ones back in the day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 9:46pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Here's an account of our GW encounter. A couple of things possibly the result of 'artistic licence' but pretty much factual. This story was related to Peter Jessup by Tiny coe who witnessed it all:  https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10381556
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 6:23am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Holly **** Smudge!! Haven't seen a decent size shark from the little Mac yet, but me mate Aarons  previous boat a 14 ft Stabi had one circle him just under surface of similar length to boat years backShocked
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 10:31am
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Here's an account of our GW encounter. A couple of things possibly the result of 'artistic licence' but pretty much factual. This story was related to Peter Jessup by Tiny coe who witnessed it all:  https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10381556

Ive got memories of visiting the Ruawai boat ramp as a kid after reports of a White shark captured from a open dinghy in the Kaipara.
This fish was menancing, and hanging from the marlin weigher was way too long with head and shoulders still lying on the ground. Impressive but sad, must have been 5+m long at a guess.

Edit just found an article, will post below:
What a whopper catch - a 380kg great white shark
Save
Monday 5 February 2001EmailFacebookTwitterGoogle+
By SCOTT INGLIS

Mark Cameron and Tony King went out on the Kaipara Harbour to catch snapper - but came back with a 380kg great white shark.

It is one of the heaviest great whites ever caught in New Zealand waters.

On Saturday morning, the two dairy farmers from Ruawai, northwest of Auckland, were out in a friend's aluminium 4.1m runabout.

Within 20 minutes they had hooked six fish but then something else took Mr Cameron's bait, hook, line and sinker.

It turned out to be a female great white shark, just over 3m long.

"It just ambled away ... and when it realised something was attached to the bait in its mouth, it went like a rocket."

For the next 90 minutes, Mr Cameron, using a game rod with 37kg breaking strain line - 700m of it - fought the shark while Mr King headed for shore.

Mr Cameron was worried that the shark might snap the line but he was not scared.

"Apprehensive would be the choice of word.

"It broke the surface once ... and the heart went into palpitations for a while."

They beached the shark at Tinopai, before towing it back to Ruawai boat ramp.

"These big fish don't cope well in shallow water and it literally just drowned."

They stripped the shark of its meat, which will be eaten.

"They are a beautiful fish and it would be a shame to just chuck it into a hole."

The jaws would be kept and possibly professionally mounted.

At 382.5kg, the shark is the heaviest caught in New Zealand on a 37kg line and close to the world record of 413kg.

Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 12:27pm
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting read there Smudge, having a white do that beside the boat as you are leaning over, I would expect you would need to change your pants as well as have a stiff whisky.

CrazZfish - I used to work with a guy who's parents were commercial shark fisherman out of the Ruawai and they had a heap of photos of big whites they had caught in the Kaipara harbour. The Kaipara is one harbour I would never go for a swim in, way too many bities plus with such poor viz, not my idea of fun.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 7:21pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Thanks Marligator. I've had a fascination with fishing since I was a tiny kid. That went on a hiatus for 15 years when I discovered the adrenaline rush of motorcycling but I learnt 'my trade' on the mighty Kaipara and it was where I found out how to catch gurnard which were my fascination since I was ten years old. I wouldn't go in the water there either! Ouch

Here's something I wrote today:

It’s been a while since my last report and things have certainly changed. The harbour has been quite variable which is not unusual for this time of year. There are some good snapper, trevally and
gurnard around for sure but often you will need to work for them.

The big news though is that there are lots of kingfish around. Jigging the channel edges in 20 to 30m is working as are drifted live baits. A nose hooked live Jack mackerel fished on the bottom in 5 to 10m will also produce the goods while you’re snapper fishing.

Scallop beds have moved but when you find them you will be rewarded with some very fat and tasty things. 

Over the next few days while the moon is more or less full, the best time to target fish is in the evenings as the tide is coming in. Pick an area where the water flows up onto the banks and cast straylined baits into the shallows.

For those who don’t understand the significance of the full moon I’ll share some stuff. The full moon and the days around it produce the biggest tides of the month. The biggest tides also result in the
smallest low tides – the further in the water comes, the further out it goes! 

Another interesting fact is that the full moon rises at around the same time every evening month after month, which means
that the tides likewise follow a similar pattern. On a full moon the high tide occurs around midday for the Manukau harbour. Therefore the low tide will be six hours later and that is a very good time
to fish the shallows: the combination of falling light levels and a rapidly advancing tide give fish the confidence to hunt the food rich banks in relative safety.

Meanwhile out over the coast, snapper catches have been amazing. Big catches with plenty of big fish too but right now the action is easing off as they will now be spawning. There will certainly be
some quiet days but there aren’t only snapper in the sea. Even if they are your target, it’s still well worth the effort to head out for a days fishing. Keep a close eye on the sounder as you may well find
bait schools, quite possibly with birds working the area also. Kingfish are likely to be the predators herding the baitfish up. Bottom sign is likely to be snapper.

Tuna boats are congregating at Onehunga and those boys don’t go fishing in the hope they will catch something. The tuna will be here and there will be marlin with them. While you may find small tuna
schools in close the bigger schools will be out wide. Don’t venture out to 400m or more though unless you are very well equipped. If you need to read my fishing report to learn there are big tuna
schools way out there at this time of year then you most likely aren’t prepared or geared up for a trip like that.

The first west coast marlin of the summer will most likely be caught this side of Christmas if not this
very weekend. Exciting eh!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marko 44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 8:35am
Marko 44 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Got out yesterday across the bar to about 35m. There were about 4 boats that I could see
. Saw a bunch of dolphins while heading out, one which did the surfing on the bow wave thing for a little while.
 Fishing was ok, if not a little slow for "out west", compared to other times I have been out there. But still got a feed.
 Lost 2 or 3 good size snapper and my mate lost a shark (I would have let it go anyway) ? Well what ever it was, it was big  and taking line on his heavier gear.
 Ended up with 5 snapper, 4 gurnard and a kawhai

Page  <1 184185186187188 288>