Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 178179180181182 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 8:24pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

CraZfish,

Post not dead,

Look at the result of you posting.

That's all it takes.

On the fishing front,
Yikes great results,
Sashimi trevs... yum

Scollie looking great.... yum.

Keep stealing those gurnard guys , Smudge will be quaking in his budgie smugglers.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote seahunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 9:06pm
seahunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I too went out Sunday from Cornwallis for a quickie, its been a looong time maybe 5 months!... Sure was busy with dredgers and divers!
I flicked a few softbaits in the shallows for a few good Kahawai and a good Trev. Not bad for an hrs work. Bloody tasty too.
Was stunning, you just cant beat the harbour on a good day!

My first mate keeps a good lookout - bit more training with her knot work and I'll be claiming her quota of scallies as boatman.....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 5:24am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You Guys so lucky having the Harbour to fish as well not relying on the coast only! Some nice picsThumbs Up Flawone thats a beaut Gurn! A Grunter Hunter Comp Dream Fish. Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 5:50am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Keep up the reports guys - has been very windy last few months - had a lovely day on water Sunday but surge from 4.4M high made life hard for mate holding the boat at little Huia - fished Huia bank for half an hour for 2 good sized Kahawai - no sharks or Stingrays which is good!  Waves breaking both sides of harbour entrance looked pretty rough on bar.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 11:07am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep also got out over the weekend.
 And scallops where rather few and far apart...and contrary to other reports, very fat for this eary in the season.
 Also of note was .. where are all the undersized ones.

As to the fishing , not a bloody bite on the sth side.

Watching the bar for Wed thurs.. was looking good  just before the front coming over.. looks like strong easterly that will chop up further off shore and some heavy rain / squalls that may not be nice to be in.

Going thru records, havnt had a winter with so little windows in around 6/7 yrs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 1:34pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I normally wield a fly rod but last week I went out from Cornwallis wharf with good old bait and berley. I motored to a shallow spot on the edge of a channel (about 3.5m deep) where I anchored, put my berley down and fished for a couple of hours either side of high tide.  

Started off as a nice calm morning but the wind picked up early and and chopped things up, cutting short my further exploration.  Had a slow morning with 1 gurnard and 2 kahawai.  Made a short video, have a look below.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 7:35pm
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks enjoyed darn nice weather!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 8:07pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice video . On familiar water and backdrop, felt like i was there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Judokapont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 4:38pm
Judokapont View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Got out last Sunday and my mate bagged this nice Snap in the Waiuku channel , happy days, bring on some settled weather
By the power of Greyskull
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 6:54pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That is a very nice snapper for this time of year. In fact its a very nice snapper for any time of year.Good effort.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Judokapont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 8:13pm
Judokapont View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers Cirrus , indeed a nice fish and some what unexpected , flasher rig snug on the bottom with bit of squid did the job. Had been out on the banks the day before. Not much out there that day apart from a Trev and a KY.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:23pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

You Guys so lucky having the Harbour to fish as well not relying on the coast only! Some nice picsThumbs Up Flawone thats a beaut Gurn! A Grunter Hunter Comp Dream Fish. Beer

Im with you on that Geoff, Ive always been jealous of the damn gurnzilla carrots they pull out of the harbour.  Then out wide for some blue nose? Definitely Albies and the odd beakie. Its really easy to see why westies love it. 

But hey Geoff you dont have it half bad down there either haha. I am meaning to come down still and say heya. Saving up long term for a yacht, but tossing up between a jetski and another 5m jockey seat pontoon, something ultra deep V like the Gemini's, they handle pretty much anything. Actually its the 5.5 Im looking at, Should be suitable for Mokau :-). I miss Taranaki. I met the Mrs there and just love the lifestyle, great local produce, berries, real meat, some hunting, some gorgeous fresh water swim holes, the big smoke NP is a bloody nice little city with all ya need. And as the Mrs is a biologist we have the mountain to hike and it makes a spectacular view. 

Come to think of it Raglan is pretty nice too. Maybe its just the whole west coast ;-p
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marko 44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 3:17pm
Marko 44 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Looks like a good weather window this weekend for a shot at the coast. What channel are people on over there ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 6:33pm
Titanium
Titanium

VHF working channels 18/63 for trip report on Manukau and bar.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marko 44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 1:44am
Marko 44 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks, use 18 for a bar watch .
Is 25 the fishing channel ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 10:32am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looks like a good weather window this weekend for a shot at the coast.

Im looking at Sunday/ Monday over the Waikato bar.. most likely Sunday.
 3pm tide
 leave home about 12:30, that gives just enough water to get out of ,landing and down the river...
Back in .. well like to be back over no later than 1 1/2 hrs after full tide..4:30 latest.  10 min drive home.

Maybe looking for couple crew if regular guys not available.
 Share gas etc...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 6:43pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Marko, I think it is 63 I forget hehehe but I use Ch5.

Steps Sunday is good for the coast but Monday will be too big.

I'm out Sunday hopefully and heading out to 60m for a snapper mission. I'd love to hear how you get on so looking forward to your reports on here. If I was fishing in the harbour my choice would be up towards the banks of the Parakau channel in 5m to 20m especially a kilometer or more west of the tripod. Deeper for snapper, shallower for trevally and gurnard, but then again who knows! Big smile
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 7:45pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

If I was fishing in the harbour my choice would be up towards the banks of the Parakau channel in 5m to 20m especially a kilometer or more west of the tripod.

So, Smudge's snapper spot would be worth a try tomorrow?  er, just asking for a friend. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 8:20pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

If I was fishing in the harbour my choice would be up towards the banks of the Parakau channel in 5m to 20m especially a kilometer or more west of the tripod.

So, Smudge's snapper spot would be worth a try tomorrow?  er, just asking for a friend. 

It's probably Skoti's spot and yes but if it was me I'd go with what I posted. however your 'friend' would be advised to try Skoti's spot from high on down Wink
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 8:23pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For what its worth did a trip yesterday. Launched yesterday Cornwallis 1.5 hours before high. Motored along and settled in along the papakura.
Fished two spots 4 & 6 meter. And beyond the austere shadow of the ranges , looking southward to the restful green hills of Awhitu i fished. And waited and waited. Current was right,wind was almost zero. And waited.
Current began to ease. Not a touch on tasty small chunks of Skippy.
Was hoping for trevelly and gurnard. Zilch. Eventually as tide began  to near slack the rod bounced ,curved. Something on. Before long a nice rig,or spotty dogfish was in the boat. Very attractive bronze fish with small white speckles. Almost a meter long. Was a male. If it was a female in pup it would have gone back alive. Shortly after a Kahawai. Medium size but very fat. Then another rig around a meter also.. Then another Kahawai.
Before long tide began to run out. Moved to 4 meter. Not a bite. Current soon became strong. Up anchor and across the banks to purukau. Less current,fished around 3-4 meter. 1 very small Kahawai.

The gurnard and trevelly alluded me. 
Bled and cleaned Kahawai on spot,onto ice. Trunked the rig very quickly as well. Interesting to see what they had been eating.
Rig fill of small crabs and what looked like sea centipedes.
Kahawai full of whitebait. Thin translucent fish with tiny black specks for eyes. Certainly looked like whitebait. But what would they be doing in the Papakura. Back to ramp just before half tide out.

One thought. I read somewhere recently that the Sewerage ponds are now releasing large quantities of fresh water into the Purukau channel. Could this possibly dilute the salinity of the water  ,effect the food for fish and even the fish.  Dont know how much water is released or how often.Given the vast volume of water in the harbour would be unlikely to effect the salinity and keep fish out. But who knows.
Hope your luck is better Smudge.

Page  <1 178179180181182 288>