Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 177178179180181 289>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 11:36am
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great to see you found em Alex! Nice work.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 7:30pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

tough going today in a blustery southerly. A couple of small to medium sized gurnard, at least 10 tiny ones and a heap of ky. Nothing big, very rough, very cold. Try again tomorrow!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 12:20pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Huia Ripples. A term i heard mentioned sometime ago. Not sure if it was from some of the older fishermen out there or read about it somewhere.
Anyone else heard this term. What are the huia ripples.

Anyone know.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 8:31pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Quick trip with the Grandkids this afternoon and we were privileged to see a couple of Orca
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 9:52pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

Huia Ripples. A term i heard mentioned sometime ago. Not sure if it was from some of the older fishermen out there or read about it somewhere.
Anyone else heard this term. What are the huia ripples.

Anyone know.

Asked Catchelot & he said they are a variety of potato crisps John.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 1:10pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sunday 21/7/19  11 to 2:30pm

Launched Mangere Bridge and had a cunning plan to catch gurnard in the Purukau channel and monster snapper in the Snapakura channel.  However got to the bottom of the Purukau channel and decided the gas was a bit low, so no side trip to Snapa channel.  Caught 1 gurnard on an Uncles mack flasher rig with tiny bits of squid bait.  Also more than a dozen KY of various sizes and a spotted dog on various rigs.  Tried the Uncles "kabura tails" used by Kitno during the gurnard guru comp.  He caught plenty of gurnard, but the lures didn't work on gurnard for me.  Also tried a "snapper snack" which is a flasher rig with squid-like lures instead of the typical flies.  Tried pilchard, salted bonito, squid, fresh Ky, mullet.  The fishing dropped off after high tide and so left early in case I ran out of gas and needed help.  Got back to the ramp with maybe a litre of gas.  I'll be back!  With more gas Lol!
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Marko 44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 2:36pm
Marko 44 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

SmileHello, just thought I would say hi as I intend to post on here occasionally. I fish out the coast, when I get time and the weather is good.
 Not the biggest boat being 4.4 meters long, it is big enough to go out on a nice day.
 Big fun in little boats out the West coast.
 Like game fishing but no stick faces yet, a few tuna.

Hi guys !!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 2:52pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

RIP Manukau Harbour and West Coast..

Looks like this thread is dead in the water or is there anyone still fishing out there.

We like the the dozens of others headed out for the hard too find skinny shellfish on opening day. Weather conditions were excellent, although it was more like a slalem course dodging the boats, and scallop condition was as expected.

Had time for fish in the shallows on the way home, with plenty of kahawai action and the 6 year old's horse of a Trevally was a nice fight in 1.8m of water.

It went 52cm and 3.15 Kg a touch under 7lb and probably one of the best condition fish i have ever seen.
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 3:18pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That is a great trevelly. Good to see fish like that .
But you never mentioned Gurnard. No gurnard.?

Kahawai. Did they still have any condition on them.?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 4:42pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I think it's just been a little hard to get out ...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 4:43pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

That is a great trevelly. Good to see fish like that .
But you never mentioned Gurnard. No gurnard.?
Kahawai. Did they still have any condition on them.?

No Gurnard. We only fished for an hour or so, the 6 small kahawai we caught were in good nick, one of the bigger ones went in the pan and tasted very good. The texture of the Trev flesh was very much like yellowfin tuna, still a bit pink in the middle of the thick fillet, very nice indeed.
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 4:59pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for the info. Yes trevelly is a top fish. Great to catch,great to eat. Good to see kahawai in good nick. 
Dont know about the gurnard but to me numbers seem to be well down past two years.
Its far too long since ive been out. As smudge says weather hasnt been that good. So heres hoping a weather window may turn up. 
Today would have been great, but massive tides which limit launch and retrieve options on the northern side at places like cornwallis or huia

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 6:00pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Yea agree smudge weather has been pants. But really i was just trying to flush out a few salty old sea dogs and think it may have worked.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 6:20pm
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice day yesterday for a Father’s Day scallop session with the kids.

Started out a bit tough in the usual spots but some prospecting helped get good numbers In the end however yes the condition of scallops were average with only a nice one here and there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 6:24pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As CrayZFish said we had a tough day yesterday battling the current and a tonne of red weed.

Picked this old girl up in the shallows at one of Smudges Top Secret Spots! Went 1.45Kg on the scales and 49cm in length.

Topped off with a bucket of Scallops and Job done. Retrieve was very muddy at Cornwallis an hour after low in the Terrano.

Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 6:35pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A gurnard in the manukau. Thats remarkable. Well done.

Must of been a mission getting boat back on at low tide at cornwallis on a 4.4 meter king tide.

Anyone else notice a fall off in gurnard numbers over last season,or is it just me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 6:50pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by FlawOne FlawOne wrote:

As CrayZFish said we had a tough day yesterday battling the current and a tonne of red weed.

Picked this old girl up in the shallows at one of Smudges Top Secret Spots! Went 1.45Kg on the scales and 49cm in length.

Topped off with a bucket of Scallops and Job done. Retrieve was very muddy at Cornwallis an hour after low in the Terrano.

That's a nice fish Flaw One!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 6:53pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by CrayZfish CrayZfish wrote:

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Yea agree smudge weather has been pants. But really i was just trying to flush out a few salty old sea dogs and think it may have worked.

Yeah it got FlawOne & Dunworkin going! Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 7:04pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I almost got out yesterday, but my battery was flatter than a very flat thing.  Looks like a trip to the auto electric shop for a new one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 8:07pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

I almost got out yesterday, but my battery was flatter than a very flat thing.  Looks like a trip to the auto electric shop for a new one.

Go see P James maintenance, right next door to DKM Kevin
Page  <1 177178179180181 289>