Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 176177178179180 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 9:48pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks skoti. Will keep a lookout for those bullet tuna.

Thinking they may make good trev and gurnard bait as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 10:44pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Skoti Skoti wrote:

Originally posted by CrayZfish CrayZfish wrote:

Nice one Skoti. What depth if I may ask in Snapakura channel.
Seems this forum has died a sudden death, either that or no ones fishing the harbour lately? I know ive been a bit slack. Maybe everyone is awaiting the gurnard comp. Anyhow, looks like the snapper are still in good nick. Well done.
About 23 meters on my spot .
There is alot of broken foul from the number 1 green marker ( the one that separates the Waiuku  - Papakura channel right up to the number 6 marker  .
It's worth scouting this area for rises as there are many  .
I have about a dozen marks in this area , many I've never fished before .
Riding about with eyes on the sounder you'll come across patches of foul that come up to 18 meters from 22 , these are the spots to mark .
I like to fish the medium tides ( Onehunga readings ) 3.5 to 3.9 .
Less rip to get a bait down with 8 oz sinkers in the 20 meter depth .
Too much tidal flow equals too bigger sinkers needed .
Too little tidal flow , the fish become lethargic .
The out going tide from a full tide produces bigger fish and an incoming tide after low does the same .
These are just my observations of course Wink

Some top secret stuff there Skoti. you've taken some mega snaps from that area for sure!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 8:26am
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If I know Skoti he still kept a few secrets up his sleeve to pull out when required! Good work mate!

Interestingly I have had the worst 2 trips all season in the Muddy these past two weekends. Plagued by red weed and very few decent snapper. I think the seasons are finally changing. Very humbling to say the least after some very epic sessions this year on the muddy.

Bring on the big mumma jumma Gurnards!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 8:25am
AlexRecurve View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Made the most of the amazing weather and calm seas on Sunday and hit the 55m mark over the bar.  We've been fishing really shallow for the past few months and opted for a change of scenery . . . . .  but probably with hindsight should have stayed in close.  The fishing was slow and steady.  We had a dozen snaps, biggest around 4kg and the usual kahawai, gurnard etc.  Lots and lots of sharks, but fortunately no barracouta yet.

Unusually we had heaps of juvenile snapper which aren't usually a problem at that depth and the main reason I prefer fishing outside the harbour.
I also had a couple of livebaits nibbled across the nape of the neck - classic squid behaviour and my suspicions were confirmed when I had a squid chase a bait up to the surface.   - but with no squid-jigs aboard we couldn't capitalise and catch any.   - Better go buy a few for next time.

Almost felt like summer out there - zero wind, low-swell and temperatures in the high teens.  Amazing!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 10:31am
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice Effort Alex, Sounds like some great fishing out there to be had if you put the effort in. My only trip in recent times was in close at Easter and had no decent snaps but our limit of pannies in a couple hours in 12m. That day I was thinking I should have gone wide. Fishing's a funny sport that is foreshore.

Were you live baiting in 55m? That is interesting. What was you bait? Targeting Kingi's I'm guessing?
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 1:10pm
Gold
Gold

Yes targeting the kings or big snapper.  I often carch the biggest snapper on live jack mackeral.

I know the kings are around out there but still haven't figured out a reliable way to track them down.  Unlike summertime in the harbour where you know the areas they haunt, it's just a big wide open ocean out there with no structure to hold them.  I usually put a live jack mack down whilst we are snapper fishing and you occasionally pick up a kingy.  I've tried jigging around the work-ups with little success but have a couple of other things I want to try. - it's just finding the opportunity and impetus to try something new - especially when most of those I fish with just wanna drop baits and haul in a bin-ful of snapper! I dont blame them either.  The prospecting sometimes pays off but more often than not you can waste half a day with no reward.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 4:21pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Its prospecting that over the yrs produced the best constant results in the log run.
I knew from previous records where to drop a line to get a feed.. leave a little early and try a couple spots on the way out, and on the way home.
 Usually meant a slow start to the day.
Off the west coast its not as easy cause of tides, bars, and coming home 9/ 10pm in the dark over a bar is not a good idea..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 7:26am
Gold
Gold

Yes that seems the best way to go about it:  Go to the tried and tested spots, but also make time for a little exploratory mission on each trip. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2019 at 5:41pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Went for a carrot prospect this morning which was a fail..we only caught pesky snaps, ky and Trev.
Caught up with smudge and he said we were off Graham's beach.??
12m mark snaps were best condition I have seen for awhile 3 over 500mm best 570 mm at 9lb!.
Hope they bugger off before next weekend😐
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2019 at 8:30pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pesky smoker sized snapper LOL
No report from me today , might post next monday .....
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2019 at 9:32pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by skunk skunk wrote:

Went for a carrot prospect this morning which was a fail..we only caught pesky snaps, ky and Trev.
Caught up with smudge and he said we were off Graham's beach.??
12m mark snaps were best condition I have seen for awhile 3 over 500mm best 570 mm at 9lb!.
Hope they bugger off before next weekend😐

Nice fish Skunk. We got a few nice gurnard over a kilo and some really nice trevs. Only snapper we could find were 30cm jobbies that swam away
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2019 at 9:33pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by AlexRecurve AlexRecurve wrote:

Yes that seems the best way to go about it:  Go to the tried and tested spots, but also make time for a little exploratory mission on each trip. 

Agree 100% Alex. Are you fishing The Grunter Hunter this year?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 6:22am
Gold
Gold

Still undecided Smudge.  It's a long trip out to Te Toro from Mt Roskill!  Especially after a day out in the water.  We've done it with the kids for the past 2 years and they've enjoyed it - especially so the first year when there were a stack of kids prizes handed out ( seemed fewer last year ).  So I expect we'll make a call mid week once I've seen a  more reliable forecast.  Currently Saturday looks awful but Sunday pretty good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 9:45pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This morning i felt the call of the manukau.
A perfect day,mid afternoon high tide and not too big nor too small.
Overcast sky,not a breath of wind , perfect as could ever be.
Launched at cornwallis and before long was motoring along the edges of the papakura channel.
First stop in around 7 meters.  The high hopes of gurnard , snapper and trevelly,lingered and faded. Nothing except a few Kahawai. 
While there is nothing wrong with kahawai they were not the sought after gurnard. Tried 3 more places in the coming up to high and first hour of outgoing. All up on to the banks ,and various depths.A few more kahawai but nothing else. 
Then decided to change channels. Motored across to the purukau,and settled into about 5 or 6 meters. A proven gurnard spot. Again nothing. A few more Kahawai,a nice rig ,released. 
Shadows began to fall,darkness beckoned. ,so back to the beach. 
Plenty of Kahawai for some nice meals. But that was it. Where are the gurnard.
Another boat came into the beach shortly after us. I gathered they had a similar story.
Bait used was pilchard ,skippy and Kahawai.
All proven gurnard and trevelly baits.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 10:09pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Similar story for our first trip in a while targeting gurnard up on the banks in the first hour after high. Then in a gut in 4m for another hour. Berley out. Old crusty baits. Just Kahawai to show for it. Agree though. Cant blame the conditions
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 10:39pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Crikey, there have been some good catches too. Just one of those days i guess
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 12:52pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sometimes I find with gurnard I just have to wait and have faith that they will turn up at the predicted point in the tide.

We had a slow day out yesterday too with plenty of KY and a couple of sharks. Bite was very tentative and sporadic. Went from zero to hero around mid of the outgoing tide where we got half a dozen carrots up to 1kg in a 30 minute period. Also got some monster yellowtail mac's 30cm+ which would have made make perfect live baits back in January!
Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 1:00pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

interesting. were you fishing shallow or deep. I came in from the purukau channel area around mid tide going out
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 10:21pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We were fishing Ropers Channel area and ended up in about 5m by the time we left. 95% of my Grunta hunting in 6m or less.

I haven't heard of any big catches from the north side of the harbour this season but I'm sure they will be around!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 10:27am
Gold
Gold

We joined the throngs heading over the bar early on Saturday and had a pretty good morning out there;  Tried shallow at the start but without a single bite in 40 minutes, we gunned it Westward and stopped at 45m where there were a few birds flitting around.
Fishing here was a lot more productive.  Had a steady flow of snaps coming aboard, a few kahawai and of course a few sharks.  Biggest snapper went 12lb but the average were solid 4-5lb fish as pictured above.  Stacks of jack mack and slimey mackerel around which made for great fresh bait.
Page  <1 176177178179180 288>