Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 175176177178179 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roofless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 6:09pm
Roofless View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by paihia panther paihia panther wrote:

put a hole dead kahawai on edge chanel bronzies bit of fun

just avoid anything with a east in it and southerly , sw incoming should be all good and northerly for the outgoing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 6:11pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lol ...You're a sick sick man Eric. Tisk tisk.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 6:14pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Toheroas...at karioitahi...mmm yeah I doubt that,tuatua or clams maybe.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 8:42am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Anoteof that posts date?
Finally got a bite?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 7:46am
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

4/5/2019

Launching into extremely foggy conditions we decided to try out a new spot that had all the right environments to hold fish. We slowly made our way to the Purakau Channel as the the GPS was struggling to get a lock at times.

Settling on the edge of the Karore bank in about 6m we fished recurves with small mullet cubes on 1/2oz straylines (my fav rig). Within an hour we had 12 good snapper in the bin with 4 over 40cm. As the tide turned and the current picked up in came the red weed and the fishing went dead.

Back to Cornwallis in the still thick fog to be greeted by fisheries officers doing an excellent job. Awesome! Meet a guy who reakoned we had nabbed some sweet gurnard but wouldnt share his spot, typical grunter hunters!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 9:14am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

sounds great and good to hear snapper still in close. Good ol purukau does it again. One of my fav places ,yet the contours and depths seem to have altered in last couple of years.Maybe ,maybe not.?
Did you spot any kahawai out there. They should be arriving any time now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 9:46pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Plenty of Kahawai breaking the surface on the banks. Great fun on soft bait gear with a quick retrieve!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 8:11am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was having addiction withdrawal yesterday, still haven't clearence for driving, so wife took me up to the ramp at Te torro for a while in the arvo.
Chatting to several boats caught as came into the ramp, snapper fishing was hard over the bar from 9m thru 60m and in the harbour.. 1 gurnard and a few large KY.
But all got at least a feed. And good day out.

Something I do notice different at te Toro as against many yrs east coast, far more families.. Ie fathers/ children and parents/children.
Also how boats come in, and te Toro can be a little tricky at full tide flow,. Boat control, more alloy boats, more bigger boats (6.5m to 8.5 plus)
And far better condition and equipped.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 6:23pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep your right there Steps, Te Toro can be a slick operation when busy and compared to its east coast counterparts such as gulf harbour is a far trickier landing. Must be something in the water round there!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 6:40pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Its called "Gurnard oil"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 5:12pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bit over due with this post , frustrating to figure how to post pics these days Confused
11/05/19
Dad and I took off from Matakawau at the gentlemens hours of 13:00
Headed for the island at Waynos spot to try for gurnard on the incoming , although conditions were pleasant ....
......no bites for half an hour so gapped it to ol trusty in the Papakura .
Last of the incoming at 15:30 yield a couple of keeper (320) snapper to ensure a feed and two carrots we were looking for earlier LOL
The start of the outgoing tide though , was what I was waiting for and it didn't disappoint .
Nice pannies started falling victim to the half bullet tuna on a Manukau strayline rig with circle hooks .
We soon started filling the bin ..... 
Until the bin overflowed and we called it quits .
All the fish caught on the outgoing were between 450 and 560 mm , biggest going 3.76 kg

COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 3:29pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice one Skoti. What depth if I may ask in Snapakura channel.
Seems this forum has died a sudden death, either that or no ones fishing the harbour lately? I know ive been a bit slack. Maybe everyone is awaiting the gurnard comp. Anyhow, looks like the snapper are still in good nick. Well done.
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 3:34pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

good to know snapper still around as its getting late in the autumn,and a few gurnard coming in. That has to be promicing.

Bullet tuna. What are bullet tuna.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 5:03pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Seems the manukau is still working well.. well for those who know it I think.
Neighbour (long term local) been out the last 2 weekends and still pulling in nice 40s/ 50cm snaps.. and the odd carrot.
Thu complaining re the weed once the current gets up.

The bars have been closed the last couple weeks. thu midday this frid thru midday early arvo sat looking ok with full tides early arvo.
 And forget the following weekend
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 6:08pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yeah I have been pretty slack. Reading about it more than doing it this year. I promise to behave in future. 
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 6:17pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by CrayZfish CrayZfish wrote:

Nice one Skoti. What depth if I may ask in Snapakura channel.
Seems this forum has died a sudden death, either that or no ones fishing the harbour lately? I know ive been a bit slack. Maybe everyone is awaiting the gurnard comp. Anyhow, looks like the snapper are still in good nick. Well done.
About 23 meters on my spot .
There is alot of broken foul from the number 1 green marker ( the one that separates the Waiuku  - Papakura channel right up to the number 6 marker  .
It's worth scouting this area for rises as there are many  .
I have about a dozen marks in this area , many I've never fished before .
Riding about with eyes on the sounder you'll come across patches of foul that come up to 18 meters from 22 , these are the spots to mark .
I like to fish the medium tides ( Onehunga readings ) 3.5 to 3.9 .
Less rip to get a bait down with 8 oz sinkers in the 20 meter depth .
Too much tidal flow equals too bigger sinkers needed .
Too little tidal flow , the fish become lethargic .
The out going tide from a full tide produces bigger fish and an incoming tide after low does the same .
These are just my observations of course Wink
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 6:18pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Yeah I have been pretty slack. Reading about it more than doing it this year. I promise to behave in future. 
You need to improve if you're ever going to get a tattoo Big smile
COVID is no joke !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 6:23pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Neighbour (long term local) been out the last 2 weekends and still pulling in nice 40s/ 50cm snaps.. and the odd carrot.
Yep Tony knows his way about the harbour , but he'll never be as good as me LOL
Please remind him of this next and every time you see him Wink LOL Big smile

COVID is no joke !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 6:33pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

Bullet tuna. What are bullet tuna.
These are very small tuna ( not sure what species ) about 15 cm long .
I buy these from my local fishing shop in Waiuku .
I will take a pic of how I rig them next time I'm out . 
COVID is no joke !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 7:18pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

QUOTE]About 23 meters on my spot QUOTE]

Awesome report Skoti and some great intel. I am definitely interested to know more about your strayline rig for fishing that deep in current. Hopefully you have patented it you'll make a killing.
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Page  <1 175176177178179 288>