Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 174175176177178 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rumblefish1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 9:43pm
Rumblefish1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice catch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 2:40pm
AlexRecurve View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah - Nice fish.  And great fun on the stick baits too I bet!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 3:49pm
Pico View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers guys. Been working overseas for a year so it’s nice to get back into the fishing. Being away certainly makes you appreciate NZ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 10:35pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Time to bump the Big muddy back up the list!

Had an early start this morning with the sun just peaking over the horizon in the snappakura channel. Took out a couple of newbies who's only experience of the Manaukau was catching stingies off big bay.

Starting in the shallows and as the tide eased we worked our way out to the deep. Finally settling on a patch of deep foul that always seems to produce the goods. Today was no exception, literally like fishing in a barrel. Every drop was a hook up of which 90% were between 300 - 550. Numerous double hookups and a couple of times when all four anglers were pulling string. Once the bait ran out we tried a few alternatives that proved successful. Who would have thought that banana skins on jig heads or an apple core could catch you a Manaukau pannie...

Fantastic day and great to put some newbies on to a red hot bite, and yes we convinced them.that every day is like this!

Go the mighty Manukau!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Rumblefish1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 6:51pm
Bronze
Bronze

Chugged out in the dinghy with 2hp this morning about 300 meters off boat ramp at little huia fished for about an hour of out going tide me an the oleg man got our quota each. Back at ramp after an hour or so
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Rumblefish1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 6:52pm
Bronze
Bronze

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote ripfishnbust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 2:41pm
ripfishnbust View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Went out late Friday afternoon (1/3/19), from French Bay as soon as there was enough water to drop the boat into (there wasn't, but I did it anyway). Skimmed over the sandbars to the other side of the harbour, a usual kingi spot... caught one little one, an ok snap or two... tried further towards the heads, a spot off some cliffs in the Papakura channel... another couple of ok snaps. Sunset was approaching, so tried a ye olde spot on the Purakau, in about 8 metres of water as the tide was rising... and it was all on. Only snaps, in the mediuum range (biggest 55/60 cm) but we filled the bin in no time. And then got home in time for rugby and beers. Love the manukau.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ripfishnbust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 2:44pm
ripfishnbust View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Tell you what though, the amount of cars that park on the boat ramp... drives me and the local yachting club nuts. It happens all the time. They reported them to the cops. I saw the cops drive up while I was coming into the ramp... thought - these guys are gonna cop an earful... no, cop car turns around and drove off, not a word said. AND it's a Coastguard ramp. Infuriating. Wait till one of those guys needs rescuing and the ramp's too crowded with idiots to access it... grrrrrr....!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 11:39pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

The west coast has been very settled for well over a week now and I hope weather continues. There are huge schools of albacore & skipjack tuna right in front of the bar out to 80m. Marlin are there too but not with every school and they are in close. You need to get your lures in the water before you hit 50m or you will be missing fish. Skipjack make great bait for snapper and gurnard but albacore are great for the table. They need to be bled, which is easily done by cutting through the lateral line or just below it, immediately behind the pectoral fins. Put the fish straight into ice and you will have some great tasting treats. After seasoning just sear the outside so most of the flesh is still pink. It is also very nice smoked. Overcooked tuna is dry and bland, don’t do it! It’s also tasty served raw with soy & wasabi.

To catch tuna you need some solid gear such as a heavy snapper set, 10 to 15kg line and a 100lb trace with a small tuna lure attached. You will catch them on marlin lures but dedicated tuna lures around 75 to 100mm long work best. You can but them pre rigged for around $20. Set them 10m to 30m out the side of your boat and tow them at 6 or 7 knots. Make sure the reel drag isn’t set too high as they hit lures hard and make sure the reel clicker is engaged otherwise if you aren’t watching you will get spooled and a bust rod is the likely outcome.

Snapper fishing is better than I would have expected for this time of year over the coast and you can find fish in as close as 10m or on the way out to 60m. If you are fishing in close be very mindful of the swell and let out lots of anchor rope. You will also find kingfish in close and under workups.

The harbour is also fishing very well and while most snapper are around 30 to 35cm, they make for great eating. Trevally are also abundant and they are suckers for small baits of squid and/or skipjack fished on a strayline in shallow water. The banks around the Tripod are a good place to start. It’s  best you use a landing net too as they tend to fall off hooks when lifted straight out of the water. They are hard fighting fish and are very nice when smoked. Gurnard remain elusive but expect that to change once the water starts to cool down. May is traditionally the month when gurnard fishing starts to take off in the harbour.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 11:49pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good informative report smudge. Good to be able to keep in touch.
Great to see trevelly featuring on the catch list.
Planned to get out last week on the small tides,but circumstances didnt allow it.
But on the next small tides ,weather permitting will be there. 
A return to the manukau is long overdue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 8:03am
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Great report - thanks Smudge
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 7:21pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

Good informative report smudge. Good to be able to keep in touch.
Great to see trevelly featuring on the catch list.
Planned to get out last week on the small tides,but circumstances didnt allow it.
But on the next small tides ,weather permitting will be there. 
A return to the manukau is long overdue

We were expecting to see you out there John, you missed some epic shallow water fishing, I hope I gave you the right advice!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 7:24pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Grunta Grunta wrote:

Great report - thanks Smudge

Thanks Grunta. We had a free jumper about 100m off our bow at 83m. We soon realised we were too deep. Most of the marlin caught last weekend were in 60m or thereabouts. 

This weekend is the time to hit the coast!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 6:37pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Torpedo fishing is finally picking up now. Worst year in the last 10 I've been doing it. Seas are starting to cool,and fish are coming in closer now.
We caught 2 16lb fish and a fee round 10 on Monday and Tuesday,a mate caught 11 12lb fish on last week,and another caught 2 20lb fish this morning,so things are starting to heat up finally.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote paihia panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 6:47pm
paihia panther View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

yeah pumping at mo eating all those fat juicy toheroas and sea biscuits
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 6:37pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looks like a lot of smaller school fish in the harbour? Given now is about the warmest water temps for the year, about what time do they leave for deeper water?

Many kings in the Harbour?

And carrots are generally year round?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 6:36am
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Is the harbour around cornwallis to laingholm sheltered in a SE and NW wind, will fish closer to the land in my kayak
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roofless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 10:57am
Roofless View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Se wind is yuck for that area nw is not to bad, in a nw wind you can fish quite comfortable around from huia right up to whatipu in the right tides, the holes just around from huia and the next one up are holding good snapper at the moment. In a se wind you could punch across to the south head lighthouse for the out going good snapper there to at the moment
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 4:10pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks mate, am pretty limited to where I can paddle out to in a kayak

On the east coast, Ive been fishing the muddy shallows 1-2m deep & doing bloody good, low tide there's no water

I want to try the west, as its 15mins drive from home.... was thinking that the shallows would provide some good fishing in the muddy off Laingholm or around Parau close to the mangroves where a fresh water creek flows into.... but its the wind that has me wondering about whats best to do it in

Have fished in a SW breeze off Mill bay, Laingholm & Cornwallis, that would turn NE later in the day. It usually does around change of tide for the out going, the bloody short chop rough water is annoying
Just want to know whats the best wind directions for incoming & out going around that general area

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote paihia panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 5:47pm
paihia panther View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

put a hole dead kahawai on edge chanel bronzies bit of fun
Page  <1 174175176177178 288>