Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 171172173174175 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 10:24am
AlexRecurve View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Here you go.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 10:33am
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Interesting about the baits, give them a month or two and the snapper literally eat anything. Last spring some of the best fish went to freezer burnt pork fillet we took to throw away and some of the crew caught many a fish on empty hooks.

Still nice to get fish like that in August.
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 9:59pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sunday 19/8/18 8am to 1pm

Loaded the portable GPS with spots that were good for gurnard (orange flags) or trevally (green flags).  Got a few different types of bait including fresh small mussels, steamed open the day before, some left over prawns, bonito plain and salted, pilchards, squid and mullet.  Rigged a couple of rods with flasher rigs, 2/0 and 3/0, another with a 3/0 mustad circle hook with 1/4 oz weight, and the last with a 1/4 oz 1/0 jighead with 3" Zman blue/silver anchovie imitation.

First spot in the Purakau channel was supposed to good for gurnard.  Down goes the home made berley and in come the KY.  Caught 17 small to medium KY for the day, 2 gurnard and 1 trev.  Good fight with a couple of spotted dogs both returned.  Spot 1 about 10 KY and 1 x 44cm gurnard very fat, 1.05 Kgs.

Spot 2 closer to Puponga Point was supposed to be a mussel bed and trevally hotspot.  Mussels were ignored, both on flasher rigs and straylines.  The prawns had a steady series of hits, the salted bonito was pretty good but the rest of the bait might as well of stayed home.  Spot 2 gave 1 x 33cm trevally, a small gurnard and another KY attack.  

Spent another 1/2 hour at Spot 1 to see if the incoming tide helped, but no target species.

Early on had a couple of brief hookups on the soft bait but they fell off - probably KY.  Should have used wormhooks for a better hookup.  (Redfinger & I unanimous on this).  Converted the soft bait over to another strayline and did better.

Best part was the superb weather - flat as, and even a shower around midday didn't stop the enjoyment.

Might have to take Smudges advice and  fish over high tide for a better carrot crop.

Unfinished business here!

Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 11:02pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great report, FQ. Good on you for giving it a crack, not easy to move to a new place and have immediate success - especially a harbour the size of the Manukau.
Dad and I drove all the way around to the Wattle Bay area on the Awhitu a few years ago with the dinghy, and had a go for gurnard. Dad got a couple, but I just hooked toothless sharks and kahawai. It was strange to have so much current, and be fishing ledger rigs in only a few metres of water. Definitely a lot to learn about tides, locations etc on what appears to be a pretty featureless harbour unless you're looking down on it from a jet aircraft, when the channels and banks are very obvious.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 11:30pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Great report, FQ. Good on you for giving it a crack, not easy to move to a new place and have immediate success - especially a harbour the size of the Manukau.
Dad and I drove all the way around to the Wattle Bay area on the Awhitu a few years ago with the dinghy, and had a go for gurnard. Dad got a couple, but I just hooked toothless sharks and kahawai. It was strange to have so much current, and be fishing ledger rigs in only a few metres of water. Definitely a lot to learn about tides, locations etc on what appears to be a pretty featureless harbour unless you're looking down on it from a jet aircraft, when the channels and banks are very obvious.

Low tide is a great time to explore the channels and banks, helps you understand how the harbour is put together.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 8:40am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As part of an ongoing project Watercare are working on a hydrodynamic model of the harbour, which really gives an idea of the channels through the harbour.  They say that 62% of the harbour is sand/mud banks.  Also interesting was that the spring tide sees 221.5 million cubic meters of water coming in and out of the harbour -no wonder there are some strong currents.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 8:51pm
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good haul of scallops in the manukau yesterday. No problem gettting onto them and we're in very good condition. Most coming up were of legal size which was good to see.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 9:55pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Thanks for that Dunworkin. I may have used some of that in my latest report Big smile

https://www.fishing.net.nz/fishing-reports/saltwater-fishing-reports/manukau-west-coast-fishing-report-070918/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 10:57pm
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No worries. Good stuff great report :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 9:01pm
Gold
Gold

Had a job postponement and made a last minute decision to head out in the boat today.  Unfortunately it was a very unproductive afternoon on the water.  Started in 45metres and had to move - too many kahawai.  Literally couldn't get a bait or lure down to the bottom.

Decided to shift out deeper and made it to 60m.  After a couple of hours my tally was just 3 pannie snapper.  There were a few down there but they were just nibbling at the baits and never came hard on the feed.  Huge tide so maybe that was the problem.

Cant complain though.  Beats working!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 9:17pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Went across the Manukau bar today, harbour was flat, bar was easy, but the whole way out to 58m was a bit of a bash. Once there things eventually flattened out , with the first and only shark of the day going to me. A few snapper onboard and we started dragging anchor. I let a bit more string out and all was good but it took about 15 mins for the fish to find the baits.

Arron and I both had jigs down, with the better fish once again falling victim to the inedible stuff. 

Baits caught the most and the average fish was around 2kg of snapper goodness, lovely size to catch.

It's a rare thing to not catch a kahawai but we achieved that today. Nothing wrong with a ky of course but they are the best tanglers of light braid known to man.

20 snapper in under 2 hours we were very happy. The scallops in the harbour are in perhaps the best condition I have ever seen, a bit hard to find though.

A great day out!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 9:19pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

no real big ones but this was the average size and got a fair few around 8lb, happy with that!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 9:53pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good work Smudge, nice eating size.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 2:26pm
Gold
Gold

Great to hear things are heating up out there Smudge.  I would have gone out but engine issues kept me ashore.  The closest I got was watching one of the mullet boats shooting a circle net on one of the banks.  Seemed very productive; they must have pulled 35-40 fish out in a single haul.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote seahunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 3:24pm
seahunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I shot out from Cornwallis yesterday too, for a quick play in the harbour. Fished in 7m of water for a couple of snaps at maybe 30cm that went straight back - interestingly both were really white/silver. Kept a couple good ky for the smoker.
First time out in 3-4 months, and call it spring cleaning but caught it all on some truly manky, long since forgotten squid thats been maturing in the bottom of the freezer for a few years.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 7:56am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

on some truly manky, long since forgotten squid thats been maturing in the bottom of the freezer for a few years.....

Have often wondered about that.. the old man, back in the 50s /60s always left the squid to "mature " in the sun then freeze. I do rem that it was not the most pleasant stuff to handle once out on the bait board.
I have not done that, and personally havnt developed the preference to squid baits.. mullet  trev KY being the go to.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 8:33am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A certain local gurnard expert has been heard to extol the virtues of manky old freezer burnt kahawai as great bait.  Maybe bait, like fine wines and good cheese, just gets better with age.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote seahunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 4:07pm
seahunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

fine wines and good cheese, just gets better with age add manukau fishermen to that too. Well - maybe we just think we do...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 10:08pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

A certain local gurnard expert has been heard to extol the virtues of manky old freezer burnt kahawai as great bait.  Maybe bait, like fine wines and good cheese, just gets better with age.

Yepp I really rate it as a gurnard bait
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 8:40pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good fishing out deep yesterday. Not hot but a steady stream of nice fat Snapper coming in saw our limit in three hours. Most between 45-50cm a few smaller a few bigger models. Biggest went 62cm. A Mokau pannie. Another broke the trace just below the surface only to pop up behind the boat out of reach to saw hello then head back down to 60m. At least we saw it would have easily been 70cm. A work up came close as we were leaving dolphins looked busy. Had a quick look but nothing of substance on the sounder so left them for the big drive home. Great spring fishing. Heaps of boats out. Am surprised this is the first report of the weekend.
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Page  <1 171172173174175 288>