Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 910111213 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Club Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 7:40am
Club Matt View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

How are all those carrots being held .... does the guy have an extra set of fingers on his left hand or are the gurnard all strung together thru the gills?

His name is "Dynamo"  magic!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 8:16am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Club Matt Club Matt wrote:

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

How are all those carrots being held .... does the guy have an extra set of fingers on his left hand or are the gurnard all strung together thru the gills?

His name is "Dynamo"  magic!!

Did he make them disappear  ?
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 5:59pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We went out to the waiuku channel yesterday and managed probably around 10 gurnard, all would of been between 600g to 900g so nothing large, kept 5 of the bigger ones for dinner. Let go a couple of 29cm snapper and we were plagued by small kahawai all day. Seemed like every man and his dog were out, there was a heap of boats on the water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 6:22pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I must be doing something wrong, couldn't get a thing in the Waiuku channel yesterday apart form a tiny kahawai and sharks.  Was very hopeful as we anchored up the fish finder was going mad with action, but it didn't translate into fish on the line.  But we were only out for about an hour and a half and on the outgoing tide.  Met Smudge coming in as we went out and he had done much better, perhaps I should have got up earlier.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 8:50pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I guess so Kevin! Big smile. We had similar results to Coxie, 14 gurnard for the 2 of us - biggest also 900 and threw back maybe 10 that were small, a couple of little sharks, one bite off and a jack mack. We managed only 2 keepeable snapper but only 28cm so back they went too.  Nice day but wish I had more time so I could put out the scallop dredge Big smile. We only caught one kahawai for the day and it was small too so he swam away, looks like those massive kahawai schools have moved on out.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 8:35pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Kept 5 gurnard today, 2 at 45 & 46cm and around 1kg, realeased 5 under 35cm. Afew more legal sized snapper showing up at the water temp increases, kept one at 33cm but released 5 or 6 over 27cm. Heaps of small kahawai around but no big or medium sized ones to be seen. 
Slow but consistant bites all day, we were fishing in between tides so not ideal but always good being out on the water.
Also caught a large ray which had rounded wings like the common big black stingrays but it was a very pale grey colour, is this the same species just varying in colour or a different type of ray altogether? Never get tired of seeing all the different things we catch in this harbour thats for sure

I think the snapper are going to be hard on the bite again soon just like last summer.
There were a few other boats out today so i'm waiting to hear how everyone else got on?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 9:49pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well I didn't do well at all , had about 4 drags for scallops for four scallops Ouch
Fishing off the island with my two neices resulted in two sharks that went back and nothing else .
Caught nothing else off Matakawau point also , saw Kevin.S pass by on his way home , how did you get on ?
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 10:16pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Saw a boat dragging near us multiple times, close to the greenhouses, was this you Skoti? Didn't think it looked like your boat that i've seen on here a few times skippered by a hosrse...? 

What is your rig Kevin.S? You seem to be out on the harbour a fair bit so no doubt we'll meet at some point in time, always good to met fellow forum members
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 6:54am
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

going to head out for a crack later on this morning been a long time between fishes,so heres hoping
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 9:34am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We went to our summer snapper spot, still a bit early but it suited the tide and we thought it was worth a try.  Didn't do great, but my wife got a couple of gurnard so at least we had fish for tea -been a while since we've managed that.  I had small snapper and a shark, I seem to be catching sharks a lot at the moment.

I've got a 14'6" Sean Nymph, the one with the half cabin.  It's called Galactica, but that's hard to read on the side.  It's white with sort of aquamarine bits on top.

Seems to be loads of people out dragging for scallops at the moment.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 9:54am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have always thought snapper dont enter the harbour in numbers until jan-feb after they have spawned out on the open coast and then come inshore to feed up pre winter. Maybe am wrong on this assumption.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Club Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 8:38am
Club Matt View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

"BUGGER"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 9:26am
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Send that off to Bri-Ski in Howick, Gerald.  They'll sort it for you .....they did a great job on my Yammy prop a while ago...
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 9:39am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Club Matt Club Matt wrote:

"
BUGGER"

Don't tell me you hit one of Smudges giant carrots ...... geez he is gunna be real upset!!!
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Club Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 1:27pm
Club Matt View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I left the Manukau last week to head up to Stony Bay Coromandel to catch up with some "hard nail" tiny Fisho boys that camp out up their every Labour weekend to catch the big Snapper around some of the reefy out crops!!
The Snapper fishing was slow, but produced a descent feed for all 12 of us each night! around the 4 to 7 pound mark.
Their was a lot of moving around, but we all had a ball hooking up on a lot of rat tail King Fish that were in abundance around Sandy Bay Mussel farm & the reef that falls to the sea around Sugar Loaf rocks.
Many caught around the .500 to .700 mark so a lot of catch and release , but awesome bullet fish to get your soft bait rod screaming!
Bit of a goat track to boat launching off the beach, as in minovering the boat & trailer between two old Pohutakawa trees with a cigarette papers gap to clear the mud guards & a step stony laughing entry off the beach.
All in all a great Labour weekend away & had a lot of fun and a good feed of fresh fish !!
Ill be back !! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craysee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2013 at 7:05am
craysee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Neat spot up there Gerald, small boat paradise
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2013 at 7:51pm
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice... gotta love Stony Bay.... Awesome

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2013 at 8:36pm
smelli View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Club Matt -- Do you use this rig just for gurnard only,, havnt seen one like it before..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Club Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 8:55am
Club Matt View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yep Darryl,
Works well on Gurnard. Pink & yellow for Gurnard / Gold & Red for snapper. Pick this lure up when I was in Scotland last year on a fishing charter working out of Oban, a little fishing village up their. Over 7 different species of Gurnard can be caught off the coast of Scotland & England & also hooked Flounder on this rig too!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 9:07am
smelli View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Sweet,,might have to make some and try them out with diff versions.. Good catch flounder with them too....
So you strayline them or just drop them down or throw out etc ?? thnx
Page  <1 910111213 288>