Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 7891011 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Club Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 8:29am
Club Matt View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thumbs Up Hey Gibber ? What line set up were you using to catch that beauty !! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 12:29pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Club Matt Club Matt wrote:

Clap On Ya Gibber nice fish indeed!!. Went out on the muddy on Tuesday producing only 5 Sea trout & not a Gurnard to be seen again, good tide too, 3.6. even my old mate John the Guru didn't get a sniff in & flinn came home empty handed too!! However all Sea trout caught on pink Lucanus lures. So will try another day for the Gurnard on them.

Yep likewise went out from Te Toro on Tues for only four ky but without a single hoped for gurnard.

Also had the pleasure of meeting the legendary gurnard guru John Moran & his wife who had just returned with a few kw along with one solitary carrot despite trying most his favourite spots .... so did not
feel so bad then as if he cannot get on to them on any particular day then reckon there little chance for we lesser mortals.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 2:14pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That is a beauty of snapper Gibber!

A mate of mine picked a pair of those models up out by the tripod a couple of months ago, he reckons burly was the key until the bronzies turned up!

Managed to get out early Tuesday 3rd September to fish the top of the incoming tide in awesome conditions.
I started off in a gutter on the Te Tau bank out from cornwallis in about 6m but as the sun got higher found some slightly deeper water on the edge of the Purakau channel. Managed a couple of Gurnies right on the top of the tide and a heap of kahawai throughout. Gurnard were keen on fresh kahawai strips, whilest kahawai were hitting pilchards throughout.

Was hoping for a few more Gurnards, but was choice to get out in such mint conditions and catch a feed. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 10:30pm
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Bazza,

you also met me and craysee...

we got three carrots in about half a hour and then we got our limit of scollies and headed for home...

Cheers

Wefaknis
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 11:06pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Wefaknis Wefaknis wrote:

Hey Bazza,

you also met me and craysee...

we got three carrots in about half a hour and then we got our limit of scollies and headed for home...

Cheers

Wefaknis

Were you the guy I was talking to & was about to leave to go dredge for scollies?

If so was nice to meet you & congrats on your combined success.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote P.T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2013 at 6:52am
P.T View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We had a bad day looking in our normal spots for scollies, but came up short. normally 3- 4 drags and we have enough, not this time its like they have moved. any ideas on where to go?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote gibber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 5:47pm
gibber View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Club Matt Club Matt wrote:

Thumbs Up Hey Gibber ? What line set up were you using to catch that beauty !! 

Rod was a 24kg LBG setup (heh). 80lb trace with a 9/0 single circle hook and a big pyramid sinker. It was a bit hairy though because the line is from last summer and has a couple of nicks in it. Nothing like unreliable line to make you stress out when you have a big fish on! :)

I would like to discuss the scollies as well... we went out a couple of weeks ago and found them in ok condition but thin on the ground.

Seems that discussing them would be like talking into a vacuum.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Club Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 7:51am
Club Matt View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Didn't think their would be much in the scollies at this time of the year, as I normally leave going for a feed of them, around November as I've found before then ,they aren't worth taking. I know last year was a bugger!!, when they put the ban on the shell fish in the harbour so I missed out on a nice feed of them on the hot plate with a bit of garlic butter, lemon, & chilly sauce. Mmmmmm = Very nice indeed !! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 5:16pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It wasn't looking too flash this morning, but by afternoon it was looking better so we slipped out for a quick fish.  Started on the outer edge of the Waiuku channel opposite crab island, but there was nothing happening so we moved over next to the island to try the inside of the channel.  Got a few kahwai and then I hooked into something pretty solid.  When I got it to the boat I was delighted to find it was a 40cm trevally, that's the biggest trev I've caught so I came hope happy.  Fish & chips for tea kids.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 9:29pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good stuff Kevin, I wonder if we'll start seeing more Trevs around? I went out this morning in hope that the wind would die down and sure enough it did. Came home with 3 gurnard, one was a bit over a kilo and the other 2 were just under, 3 nice kahawai out of the 20 I threw back and a lone 35cm snapper. The kahawai were a pain today, at one point I had 3 rods in the water, 2 with baited flasher rigs and 1 with a lucanus jig, and a school of kahawai came past and I hooked up on all three rods at once, one of the flasher rigs was a double header too so I had 4 kahawai flappin round on the deck, all 50+cm fish too.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 10:11pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice mix there Coxie.  The kahawai we caught today were all fairly small, but I think we've caught more kahawai this year then before.  I had a similar experiences to you a little while ago with more than one rod in the water when a shoal of them go past, gets pretty hectic for a little while.  Particularly nice looking gurnard, where did you get those?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 10:49pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I haven't been out in ages, but I've known so many kahawai in thew harbour, as for trevs - they usually at their best in the harbour from now til summer. That's a good catch Coxie, I better get my boat sorted and in the water.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 10:54pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

was a wee bit snotty out there today. and we were plagued by kahawai as well. never when you want them hey.

but we managed 12 carrots and a 56cm snapper so went home happy. cold, but happy. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 11:04pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Wow, great catch john, where did you get those? Near the Airport?
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 11:13pm
Titanium
Titanium

can't remember if we got any at the first spot. so likely got them all in big bay.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 11:42pm
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good feed there CJ.
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 1:19pm
Titanium
Titanium

nah now i remember, first one was over near cornwallis. also caught a decent size octopus!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 6:36pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome catch CJ, lets hope theres more of these bigger model snapper around as things get warmer.

Kevin - All of those fish bar 1 gurnard were caught straight out from Matakawau boat ramp.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfishers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 7:25pm
kingfishers View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good catch bro.. Hows things?? Hw has fishing been in last few months??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 7:28pm
Titanium
Titanium

thanks coxie.

kingfishers, not much fishing lately. since your back in nz we are apparently planning a trip out from whitianga.
Page  <1 7891011 288>