Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 678910 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 11:05pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

How big was it wekafins? I've never seen one over a metre and a half.

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2013 at 5:56pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The bigger one I pulled up yesterday would have to of been around 2 metres long, it was a solid fish, wish I got photo of it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote landman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2013 at 8:19am
landman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I got one that would have been close to 2 metres long one day surfcasting at the Gap had to google it to find out what it was.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Club Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 3:09pm
Club Matt View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Went to an awesome shimano evening at Burnscoes marine on Wednesday night and was shown how to use the new Lucanus & Bottom Ship Jigs properly by a couple of young fishos that went to japan to get to get the technique right & "yes" I was doing it wrong as I have had not much success with them, so I learnt a lot apparently the japs catch Gurnard well on them to, so you know where im going in the weekend. They had some real great discounts on the night to, so lucky Scott Warrender wasn't their or the shop would have been bought out  LOL 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 5:26pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep the lucanus work on gurnard, even when they are just sitting in the rod holder 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 11:45pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yup they sure do, be interesting to hear what they told you Gerald, I've fished with a gun inchiku fisherman and watched him very closely but he would out fish me every time, no matter how hard i tried. Last time I saw him he was asking me how to catch gurnard. 'What were you using John E?' "Baits" he said. 'Did you try inchikus'? "Nah".

Over the coast I've picked up a few nice gurnard on inchikus dropped down with the rod in the holder, the secret is to put a squid tentacle on one of the hooks, works well!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 7:46am
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah it would be interesting to hear their techniques, I never really know what i'm doing when i'm using inchikus.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 9:28am
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Club Matt Club Matt wrote:

They had some real great discounts on the night to, so lucky Scott Warrender wasn't their or the shop would have been bought out  LOL 
Cheeky hua , I don't have a shopping problem ! ! LOL
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 4:15pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Went out today for a fish unsure how it would work out with the wind but better than sitting at home, wind was a real pain chopping up the water so was too uncomfortable to sit in my usual spot, settled for Pollock with wind still blowing us around. Bites were very slow, managed 5 gurnard, 1 goodie up around a kilo and the rest were around 35 cm or smaller so only kept 2 fish for the table tonight. Got a few decent kahawai but they were all pretty skinny fish so went back to fatten up. Hopefully the wind eases or changes direction to give us a half decent day tomorrow...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Club Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 9:34pm
Club Matt View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just Kidding But I Got A Bite!!    Clap 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gibber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 2:17pm
gibber View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Guys, after being based on Hudsons beach for the winter I thought it was time to announce my presence to you all.

Picked up this beauty on the MIGHTY MANUKAU 24/8/13. Went 17.35lb. Who says that you need to go east to catch the big ones?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feijoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 2:32pm
feijoa View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

mate that is a beautiful fish. well done!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 3:17pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wow, that's some fish.  Was that from land at Hudsons beach?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 6:44pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Very nice fish Gibber, have heard quite a few stories of good sized fish up to the 20lb mark coming from the harbour this year, I sense this next season is shaping up to be a cracker
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 10:23pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Best fish I've heard of for a long time well done Gibber
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 3:53am
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice fish Gibber Clap Thumbs Up
Now where abouts did you say you caught it ? Wink LOL
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gibber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 7:44am
gibber View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Without giving too much away, it was caught by boat at a secret spot near Kauri point on a long strip of frozen kahawai just after the top of the tide. Fish length was 74cm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 7:30pm
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Any orher snapper on the day or jst the big guy?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gibber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 8:06am
gibber View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Just the one that day, bin had gurnard and kahawai otherwise as usual.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Club Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 3:05pm
Club Matt View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Clap On Ya Gibber nice fish indeed!!. Went out on the muddy on Tuesday producing only 5 Sea trout & not a Gurnard to be seen again, good tide too, 3.6. even my old mate John the Guru didn't get a sniff in & flinn came home empty handed too!! However all Sea trout caught on pink Lucanus lures. So will try another day for the Gurnard on them.
Page  <1 678910 288>