Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 56789 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 9:47pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thats 3 more trevelly than me coxie,except for one just legal one returned.I dont think they are there anymore. Trevelly fishing could be fast and furious,with almost immediate hook ups one after the other.
Still fish areas that have plenty of Trevelly food ,& horse mussels .
Wonder if the Trawlers clean them up on the open coast before the enter the harbour.
Before they vanished i was told there was quite a bit of gill netting for trevs inside the harbour.
This stopped when the Hector dolphin protection zone came in. This was the same year the Trevs vanished. I thought it would improve things but didnt. same for rig. these have dropped dramatically in numbers too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 10:51pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I haven't targeted trevs for ages but I'm not getting much as a by catch either. Now til December is a good time to try though and i would try fishing from low tide up in very shallow water as it floods over the banks. Small pillie cubes fished over scallop beds is what I used to do also.  some of the banks around Ropers used to do well.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Club Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 9:24am
Club Matt View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks for that info guy's on the trevally & I was reading only yesterday that flooded river mouths are good to hook up on them, when a storm comes through, so with all the rain that we have been having lately i,m thinking about giving it ago!!. With the white bait season coming on their might be a few fish hanging around those spots for a light snack or two.Haven,t had white bait for a while myself come to think of it & lets hope the season is going to be better than last year.
"Smudge"
ive been still playing around with that *Bling on the end of my line & having good results over the summer & autumn fishing months, but another thing I have noticed about it, is if I Bling it up a bit higher it keeps that red weed from getting around the baits, which some times can be a right bugger in the Manukau Harbour.I showed John Moran and he thought it was a great idea as their is nothing worse than having to reel your line in all the time to clear the weed from your bait. 
Also "Smudge", I,m crossing my fingers on next months issue of NZ Fishing World mag!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 6:07pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got out on the water today but only got just over an hours worth of fishing before it got too rough so I called it a day, managed 5 gurnard in that time though, kept 3 and put the smaller 2 back, plenty of sharks around too. I'll be out again tomorrow morning if the weathers any good but it's not looking likely...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 6:22pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

so gurnard have reappeared. Not bad for 1 hour. Were they roed up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 6:31pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

2 of the 3 did have roe but only small amounts... and the biggest one had none at all. Also not even one kahawai today which is a first...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 6:40pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thats strange Coxie. Maybe a very late spawn.Cant see why though. My last fish was about 3 weeks back and the around half of the biggest had not a trace of row. Doubt they had spawned as they were very fat,excellent condition.
All previous years by end July all Gurnard had ripe roe.Then they went off. Never saw one without roe or milt.
But not this year. So what does that Mean. Probably means i dont know very much about gurnard.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 9:08pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Very strange indeed. Is winter their usual spawning time? We must almost be at the end of winter time by now... This is my first year of consistently fishing the harbour so I don't really have any patterns from previous years to compare to. The fish seem to have been in pretty good condition on average but just lacking roe?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 9:17pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

certainly find it interesting observing the migration patterns of fish and how they come and go. Adds another dimension to fishing .
I have noticed by end of July they were fully roed up and then thinned out. Assumed they then spawned in the spring out in the open water off the coast. But who knows. Not sure if this pattern happens in other areas.
Maybe they come inshore to feed up on plentiful food before spawn.
Perhaps the opposite of Snapper who mostly seem to come inshore after spawn to fatten up before heading off shore for winter
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote P.T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 8:37am
P.T View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

went out on the Manukau yesterday, got into some good gurnard down by the airport.  average weight for us .900   nice and fat .Big tide didn't help, but salted tuna was the winner 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 7:32pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Despite the forecast telling me there was going to be gusts upto 50 knots, thunder, lightning & rain, I thought i'd try my luck anyway and just aswell because it was mint out there, hardly any wind and one short light shower was all we had to put up with. Took my brother out for a fish, went straight to my usual spot in the waiuku channel and consistently caught fish from around 11.30 till about 2.30 with a small quiet patch when the tide was slack, 15 gurnard kept and about 4 under 35cm released, we were still catching fish when we decided to call it a day.
Also a question for you knowledgeable guys out there, who can tell me what kind of shark this is...? Never caught one before and managed 2 of them today! The first one in the pic was over a metre long and had a black cord hanging out it's mouth so I grabbed it with the pliers and pulled and whatta ya' know, a little stingray, wasn't expecting that! Let this fella go and 30 mins later it's mumma turned up, atleast twice the size and twice the girth of the smaller one, unfortunately once I got it to the boat it twisted it's tail around the mainline and broke free so I didn't get a picture, was the same kind of shark as earlier though, grey and covered in black spots. They seemed like quite docile fish, both just felt like a big weight on the end of the line and didn't put up much of a fight at all, especially the bigger one.

Cirrus - on average these gurnard had noticeably larger amounts of roe in them, a big change from what I have seen lately, so that would match up with a late spawn...?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dominus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 8:09pm
Dominus View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

We catch those sharks regularly inside and outside the bar. Caught one on Saturday up the Papakura channel.Sevengill shark I think.Realy docile. 
Good bin of Gurnard there. We only got 6 gurnard on Saturday that we kept and 3 went back to small.
Hope the link worksEmbarrassed

http://www.fishingmag.co.nz/sevengill-sharks.htm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Club Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 8:11pm
Club Matt View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

{The Bulls are running with the Heifers again}
Yep!! Apart from a late start, I managed to get out on Saturday at about an hour before the top of the tide and within the first drop, produced some explosive Gurnard hits. They weren't mucking around & 8 in the bin before the top of the tide wasn't bad going for me. Biggest weighed up at 1.030 kg and half around the.900 mark. I must say the were all in fat condition and all were roed up well. Picked up some nice Sea Trout too, on the turn of the tide, but it snotted up a bit with the weather, so I pulled the pick early and came in.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 8:28pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Dominus, looks like it was a sevengill, it was pretty hard case pulling the ray out of it's throat, do they come into the harbour to hunt rays?
Good stuff Club Matt, they must have been on holiday last week. They certainly are in good condition though Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 8:35pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We were also getting heaps of small snapper like bites and the sure enough we foul hooked a couple of them, all too small to bite a hook. Havent had them since summer...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dominus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 8:51pm
Dominus View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I think those sharks will eat anything. I caught one on a live bait down by the
South channel entrance a couple of years back.
The last few trips including Saturday up the Papakura channel we have caught legal Snapper  280mm that we have thrown back.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 9:29pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yes that's a seven gill shark they are pretty docile but go a little bit nuts when they get to the boat. They are a reasonably common catch in the harbour, sometimes going a year or more without one yet once we had heaps just in one day.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 9:54pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice pic of the 7 gill. never seen one in the harbour before. Bu the same token i have hauled up snapper heads,so maybe i have --sort of.
Good Gurnard catch. I had thought they had gone and hadnt gone out- what have i missed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 10:28pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It's funny how you'll only come across a certain species on a certain day, like today with the seven gills, and another day we caught multiple spiny dogs but have never caught them any other time. You never know whats gonna happen when you go out fishing which is what keeps me coming back for more, theres some impressive stuff living in the water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 10:54pm
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yip seven gill.... the concentrate by K island this time of year.... weve got some big ones off the west coast, but the biggest ive seen was at the top of coromandel..

Cheers

Wefaknis
Page  <1 56789 288>