Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 45678 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 5:10pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That's a 12 oz sinker Kevin, my pick is that fish would have cleaned up the comp the next day if it wasn't for a toothy critter. We were snapper fishing in 20m hence the big weight.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craysee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 10:56pm
craysee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I wonder if the earhquakes in Welly had anything to do with the slow bite on Sunday.

Though Hiku did good off the coast, many on the east coast said they did poorly as well?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 10:22pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Headed out today with half tide launch french bay.Fished till top of tide and a little of outgoing of mill bay area in the channel
Started edge of middle channel out from cornwallis towards airport. in about 5metre
Result. 3 gurnard and 1 big kahawai. Gurnard not as big as last week.Mate caught zero. Used Kahawai  & jack mack for bait.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 10:33pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We had a pretty hard day yesterday Cirrus, we were out all day and came home with 5 gurnard. The bite was really slow all day, although I was feeling lazy so didn't roam around like I normally would trying to find the fish. We would of caught around 10 gurnard in total, 5 being under 35cm so were released, and would of released around 5 good sized kahawai and quite afew smaller ones too. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 9:26pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Glassy conditions on the harbour today, got on the water about 11am, fished the waiuku channel for a couple hours for about 4 gurnard, then tried a couple of spots in the papakura channel for a single kahawai so back to the waiuku channel for the start of the incoming tide and picked up another 10 or so gurnard, very slow bites all day, no big fish, most between 35 - 40 cm, no plauges of kahawai either. Also caught around 6 or 7 small sharks too, had a laugh at how many of them had multiple hook holes in their jaws. Awesome day to be on the water, felt like summer again. Not many trailers at the boat ramp though, anyone else get out to enjoy the good weather??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 10:22pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep Coxie , was out there earlier in the day ( you sleep-in or sumpting LOL )

Here's my report for the day Big smile

With the days forecast looking perfect as well as a small tide for the muddy , it was a no-brainer to get out there today .
It just so happened that my brother and two neices were staying out at Matakawau with the olds , so a crew for the day was easily organized .
We woke up at 6 am to no wind whatsoever and hit the water after breakfast .
Where to go to put the neices on some quality table fish ?
Hmmm Smudges top secret gurnard spot will do Big smile
Only a few minutes away from the ramp and only a few minutes till 10 year old Emma nabs the first carrot for the day .

Emma hasn't done alot of fishing but she sure had a good day and kicked everyone elses ass in the fishing stakes on this fine day .
A proud uncle I am and a proud dad brother Rob is too Smile

Unfortunitly for Rob ( even though it was "all about the girls" today ) it took him a good 2 hours before he put a carrot in the bin .
Shame on him and he fully deserves to be ridiculed in this next picture fishing with a pink rod LOL

Not that I am one to talk , I only put one in the bin for the day .
But at least I didn't have a picture taken with a pink rod LOL

Eldest neice Tyla wasn't too keen to get her hands dirty or hold wriggling fish , so Emma manned up and helped with this picture .

Emma was fully into it and with a bit of tuition was soon baiting her own hooks and casting her line out the back .
She even had a ball performing autopsies on the pilchards LOL

It was definitly Emmas day and she sure made sure there was more fish than chips on the plate tonight Thumbs Up Clap

COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Club Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2013 at 5:47pm
Club Matt View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Far To Much Beer For You ScootyDead
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Club Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2013 at 6:14pm
Club Matt View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Wooow!! It looks like you had a amazing day out their (you r the beast & you are the best uncle I bet for a while to come Smile . Been stuck at home for a while cleaning it up to sell so im hanging out for a carrot fish hopingly ill get over to Matt threw the week  for a fish as it sounds like its running hot!!
Had a call from John Jurrant a couple of days ago .Wants to put that photo I took at Fantail bay on his front cover mag this months. he,s given me a free 2 year subscription to New Zealand Fishing World which I think was quite nice off him, so looking forward the next issue Tongue
P.S those photos of the kids look sharp & the quick story of events = Magic
You should send that in!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishin' Chick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 2:22pm
Fishin' Chick View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice one guys Thumbs Up anyone been game enough to get out lately?
Me and coxie went for a drive to kariotahi the other day when it was stormy weather,  didn't exactly inspire me to go home and grab my rod LOL

The photo doesn't too it much justice, but the waves were pretty damn big!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Club Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 3:00pm
Club Matt View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

4 HOURS FISHING ON WEDENSDAY IN THE WAIUKU  CHANNEL PRODUCED NOT EVEN A BIT!! Confused "CRAZY" NEVER HAD THAT BEFORE. WHERE ARE ALL THE FISH HANGIN OUT FISH,OS ??? 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 10:16pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not a single bite for 4 hours?? last weekend is the first weekend this year that I havent got out on the harbour as the weather called for a break for me to do some maintenance on the boat trailer and but i've never had a session where I didn't bring home atleast 1 fish so you must of been doing something wrong!? Did you move around at all mate? also what bait were you using? The Waiuku channels been the most productive part of the harbour for me all year and for all species too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2013 at 9:00am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

interesting not one fish. i wonder. previous two seasons fishing stopped for me end august. Could not find gurnard after that. Thought just me having a couple of poor trips. The vanishing co-incided with them being fully roed up. Decided they must have gone out deep-open sea  to spawn.Yet this year i have caught very few with roe,and thought late season. Who knows. The plot thickens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2013 at 9:50am
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Is that right Cirrus? Wonder if they'll do the same this year. It does seem like a late season for them but recently they all seem to have row, but not huge amounts of it...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2013 at 11:17am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I would expect the fishing to drop off around now Gerald, they will be spawning or close too it. I've always found late August and September to be a little tricky. There will be days when they are on the bite though, just don't expect that all the time. Now is a good time to get some stuff done at home because soon the coast is going to start firing out deep when the big snapper schools start to form.

There are times Coxie when you wont catch a fish no matter how hard you try!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2013 at 1:00pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

interesting not one fish. i wonder. previous two seasons fishing stopped for me end august. Could not find gurnard after that. Thought just me having a couple of poor trips. The vanishing co-incided with them being fully roed up. Decided they must have gone out deep-open sea  to spawn.Yet this year i have caught very few with roe,and thought late season. Who knows. The plot thickens.

Cannot speak for the Manukau but on the Kaipara rather peculiar things seem to be happening inasmuch as various species seem to be congregating in different parts of the harbour. Snapper seem to be grouping in the deeper parts of the western side with gurnard in the med to shallow parts both eastern & western with ky everywhere with some days all good size & other days smaller on average plus trevs something of a rarity.

Maybe it has something to do with spawning & varying water temps in different locations as have noticed the temps well down in parts at approx 14 degrees which is lower than it was in May/June/July.

Also at times there are heaps of fish showing on the sounder then later on next to nothing .... suggesting the fish are on the move. 

If not having success at your usual spots might be worth trying somewhere quite different.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2013 at 2:01pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fishing and finding fish can be complex. Seems the Kaipara holds more and bigger snapper in winter than Manukau. Is that because the Kaipara has a deeper and wider entrance.?
What i used to find in The Manukau was this. Could fish all winter there ,rarely fished elsewhere except sometimes the Firth -Kawa kawa bay area in winter.
Until about 10 years back Gurnard were not my dominant catch.   It was trevelly. Normally 5-10 a trip-every trip. Mainly school size in winter -May through to september -up to about 3-4 lb. The bigger ones used to turn up October -November and also up the harbour -April -May. So Gurnard were a by catch.
Then suddenly about 10 years back trevelly failed to show. Despite fishing Huia banks area and up the harbour i almost never see a trevelly now. But gurnard seemed to have become more dominent in the same areas that held trevelly. I still fish those same areas,still used Bonito or Pillies for bait. So if Trevelly were there i would catch them. But i dont anymore. By the same token i used to catch quite a few Spotted dogfish-(rig). These too have almost vanished. So something has changed but really dont know what
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Club Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 4:07pm
Club Matt View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

"Yes" I would say even with 4 hours fishing, and no bites, I still think  a bad days fishing is better than a good days work.
However it is interesting  the comments made of the down turn of Trev,s in the harbour. Is this true to everyone, or is it a case of finding better locations around the harbour that are more successful in catching them, as "myself" have had poor success in finding them & as percentages go, would be only 1 per cent of the species I catch in the harbour each year.
I don,t have a problem with that, as Gurnard are my forte but Trevally are always great to hook up on light gear which I have missed for a while. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 4:36pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well, with the change in weather forecast we got out for a quick fish this afternoon.  But did about as well as Club Matt did.  Tried three spots along the Waiuku channel, but it was dead out there today.  Talking to a guy at the ramp when we got back he said he had heard the same story from other people coming back in, so at least it wasn't just us.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 4:59pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Damm. Just what has happened previous years to me,and i thought i had lost my Gurnard touch
So where do they go. I would assume they would spawn outside on the open coast ,but just a guess.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 8:53pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'll be back out on the harbour this weekend weather permitting but it's not looking good with all these bad reports lately, always worth a try though. And on the subject of trevally, I've caught probably 2 or 3 since the beginning of the year in probably around 40 fishing trips... they just don't seem to be any around...
Page  <1 45678 288>