Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 34567 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pure--lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2013 at 4:36pm
pure--lure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

proabably a bionic spotty best fish I have seen of that bridge was a 90cm kingfish
http://www.facebook.com/groups/hibiscus.coast.fishing/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2013 at 8:19pm
1more View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I walked the bridge around lunchtime and there were quite a few fishing there, before the turn of the tide. Saw a few kahawai on the deck. Locals said they are catching them slow and steady, using cut baits. Others are targeting sprats etc with sabiki rather than wait for KY.

The boat ramp at the old bridge is being upgraded and should be ready by December. Maybe that will bring in more terakihi.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2013 at 11:42pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That's amazing alright Stumpys, sorry for doubting you. Every so often someone shows me a tarakihi that they've caught in the harbour and it turns out to be a trevally Big smile.

They do get caught occasionally over the coast so nothing stopping them from swimming into the harbour i guess.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote stumpys1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 6:02am
stumpys1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

No probs I would have doubted it if someone had said it to me too. Have caught enough of both types of fish to distinguish them apart have never caught terakihi in anything less than 30m myself and never in a big estuary as the manukau is this far up the harbour.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 7:43pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We were out on saturday and were plagued by good sized kahawai out by the Papakura channel, got sick of catching them, put 4 in the bin and after an hour or so came back to the Waiuku channel for some gurnard and found it tough only getting around 8 gurnard, 5 of which were between 30 - 35cm so were put back to grow bigger (25cm size limit is ridiculous if you ask me), Jaleigh also nabbed a nice 39cm snapper on softbait which was a surprise as we haven't seen a snapper in atleast 2 months. Also caught yet another barracouta, making a total of 6 being caught on our boat so far this winter, I've started keeping them for burley/bait as i'm planning a trip to coromandel for some straylining/livebaiting sessions and the fillets from 1 couta fills up a 2L ice cream container Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishin' Chick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 8:46pm
Fishin' Chick View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah, caught the snapper on a lime tiger lizard softbait.
Was a pretty decent fish considering we haven't caught any in the harbour for months Smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 9:27pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NICK3617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 11:04pm
NICK3617 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yep my friend an I got a small terakihi in a throw net at Cornwallis wharf 2years ago an couldn't believe it,along with a deck chair and some mackerel for livez
Strike while the irons hot
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 10:18pm
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was out today on a carrot hunt with the kids picked up a few over at Glasshouse point, the bite was really soft and a gentle lift and wind was the trick..... that made it hard for the kids.... it glassed out once the wind and tide were in the same direction....

Nice little afternoon fish

Cheers
Wefaknis
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 3:51pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Headed out yesterday( Friday) at bottom of tide. Fished Huia ,wattle Bay,orua bay. Fishing patchy with bursts of activity. Ended up with 5 gurnard ,plenty Kahawai ,and a rig in the 5-6 lb range.
 In hindsight Think fishing would have been better inside of puponga point
Biggest gurnard -2 @ 47 cm.--1.2 kg according to the kitchen scales.All others over 40 cm.
Still no sign of roe in Most. Most unusual for July i think.
Tried some salted Bonito in Bonito oil. Nothing would touch it. Fresh mullet and frozen bonito were the go.
Interesting what they eat. Only one crab. Mostly fish-something that looked either like a small star gazer ,had a very wide head ,jaw like anchovy but to deep around the head for that. Maybe a lantern fish.? Also small flounder ,shrimp, a type of welk and a sea worm that was about 6inches long,black with a round head --looked like a centipede at first glance.
BTW-anyone use Cornwallis ramp. Can this be used at low tide.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 9:57pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Dunno on Cornwallis Cirrus but that's some good fish We went for a snapper fish on Saturday (today) probably a bit hopeful but we've had some terrific snaps from the harbour this time of the year.

Today all we caught were sharks, kahawai and of course .... gurnard.

We got some great kahawai too..

After a few sharks we got this ... signalling it was time to move...

A few more pics to show we are ready for Craysee's fund raiser tomorrow

Don't ask me how I get such pretty ladies and such ugly blokes on my boat Big smile

Was perfect out there today and is looking to be perfect plus on Sunday, good to catch up with Dunworkin, Coxie and Catchin' Chick out there too. See you all again in the morning!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote vermin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 10:50pm
vermin View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey circus. Cornwallis has no ramp only beach launching. Right on low on a big tide there is a softish top layer but if u have 4wd and the boats not to big is it sweet. Ideally u avoid dead low.

Good day by the looks of it smudge.

I'm out there tomorrow and looking forward to it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 10:32am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some very nice looking fish there Smudge. Well done. Isnt the Manukau great.!
What area did that gurnard get sharked.? Looks like a serious sort of shark to do that. Just thinking all yesterdays fishing would have been on the outgoing tide. Must try that more, rather than the incoming
Vermin. Thanks. Would like to try a cornwallis launch sometime. Would give access to the area inside the Puponga -Kauri point line & at most tides. I often beach  launch at Little huia,via the cutting just before the stream.Other ramps such as French bay are only really half tide ramps,unless you want a very salty  wet ,muddy car.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 10:39am
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

those are some meaty carrots Smudge and crewThumbs Up
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote P.T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 10:41am
P.T View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

For all you carrot catchers, Mangere Boating club is doing a comp $500.00 for  biggest. Should be well worth looking at
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 9:11pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Had another pearler day out there today.

That was a coutta that took away that gurnard yesterday and it was in the Papakura Channel.

we fished the usual places today and interestingly the 2 biggest gurnard took the same rig as the two biggest yesterday, a 2oz sinker straight onto a 4/0 recurve hook, cast out on the baitrunner.

Skoti was first up with a nice little carrot that will be a whole lot bigger next year.

Cypri's fish may take two or three years to get bigger Big smile

Of course the pics I post of myself would be the best ones! Got me 2nd place in todays fundraiser compBig smile

Things were going well till I had a dizzy turn that reminded me why the 70's were so bad ...

I would like to say Skoti was loaded up on a mega gurnard but just another of the zillions of ky in the harbour right now

Hallucinating now from sun stroke it was obviously time to go to weigh in.

great laughs on the boat today, thanks Skoti & Cypri for making what has been one of the best days on the harbour this year, even if the fishing was slow. All up only 7 gurnard today but 3 real nice fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spaceships Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 9:20pm
spaceships View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

excellent write up and pics, looks like plenty of fun was had
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 9:21pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Another great day for you guys.  May this spell of light winds linger on.Agree that a big gurnard can fight like a Kai. The 1.2 kg fish on friday really took line and went well out the side of the boat and seemed to come to mid water. Was certain it was a Kai ,until i began to feel the bounce ,bounce motion that gurnard make as it neared the boat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 1:37pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

I was going to say that looks like it could be a big carrot , but then I forgot Darren is only 3ft tall LOL
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 2:28pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What weight sinker is that hanging from the half gurnard?  I could have done with some of those yesterday, we had to abandon the spot we caught our only gurnard because our sinkers weren't big enough to get to the bottom once the tide really started going.  I sense a trip to the fishing shop coming on.
Page  <1 34567 288>