Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 23456 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spaceships Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2013 at 10:32pm
spaceships View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

was out yesterday afternoon between 2.30 and 5.30 and saw no orca. Nasty, choppy, windy,

but still got plenty of kahawai and a couple of big gurnard.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2013 at 11:44pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

It was snotty on Saturday butSunday was a lot better.

I didn't see the Orcas but most years they come for a play in the harbour.

11210 - they are HUGE gurnard, we had a tough time finding them but ended up with 9 for the two days, all pretty fat between 700g and a kilo.

A couple of spiny dogfish turned up too

But the harbour is absolutely full of these

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 10:14am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Made  a very last minute decision on for a fish saturday afternoon. Launched little Huia 2 hours before low. First & only gurnard before low. Tried in the deep channel at low water for nothing-not even a bite. Went shallow for begining of incoming. Lost a gurnard at boat. Also hooked something,gurnard like bite, line slackened a bit. Took weight,fish on ,fish gone.Didnt feel overly heavy. Trace ,everything gone. This has happened a few times on the muddy. What fish would do that.
To me has been a hard season,numbers seem down. Also this time of year fish are getting roed up.
This year only one with roe. Others no sign. This is different than other years. Is it possibly a late spawn.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 10:20am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

while typing above post could hear distant duck sounds. Then i hear wife going bonkers ,loud duck sounds. In short a pair of wild ducks had wandered in the french doors and had gone through the lounge and were standing in front of the fridge. Think it is the same pair that were here last spring eating bread put out for the birds.But they hadnt learned to do this.How would they know about fridges & food.? Hard case.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote landman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 10:57am
landman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cirrus probably a baracoutta I hear there are a few in the harbour
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 11:05am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Plenty of sharks with teeth sharp enough to slice through trace in there as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote samax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 1:38pm
samax View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

the orcas were just to the right of french bay probably 3 to 4 km out looked like they were after the stingrays or something but there must have been around 7 or 8 of them we had a quick look at them on our way over to the fishing spot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craysee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 5:45pm
craysee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Heres a bit of Spam but its for a good cause, for those who havnt seen it in the briny bar.

cheers team

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishin' Chick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 6:37pm
Fishin' Chick View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

its spam, but it's a good kinda spam!

im working that day so i cant make it, but good luck to everyone else Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craysee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 6:51pm
craysee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Fishin Chick, did I see you in the paper the other week?
how is your fundraising going?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishin' Chick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 6:54pm
Silver
Silver

yup you sure did! haha, i'm getting there, i haven't raised a lot yet but i'm hoping the sausage sizzles and bake sales i'm putting together will raise me a bit of moola to put into savings Tongue it's quite exciting really!

maybe i'll have to put together a gurnard competition to raise some money Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craysee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 8:28pm
craysee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good idea mate, best of luck on the fundraising.

I love carrot cake, let us know when your first bake sale is on!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishin' Chick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 8:42pm
Silver
Silver

I'll keep that in mind craysee Thumbs Up thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craysee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2013 at 12:09pm
craysee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

THE GREAT GURNARD GRAB IS POSTPONED UNTIL NEXT SUNDAY 21st JULY

due to the poor weather forecast.
Hope to catch you next week,
1st prize adults is a Tandem paraglide, now that sounds like fun!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote stumpys1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2013 at 12:24pm
stumpys1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

If I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes would never had believed but watched a bloke bring in a lovely little 5-6lb terakihi off the old Mangere Bridge this morning.Was surprised to see a fish like this so far up in the ol'muddy!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2013 at 3:42pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

A tarakihi or a trevally? Terrors have a prominent black band behind their head. Trevally will start showing up in numbers from now til summer.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2013 at 3:48pm
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Teraki really that must be rare never heard of that before.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote stumpys1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2013 at 4:04pm
stumpys1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

1000000% Terakihi. 

I was riding my bike across the bridge and saw a guy fighting a fish so I stopped and watched as I have never seen a fish caught on the bridge despite riding over it most weekends.

Saw it on the surface and intially thought kahawai or trev, but when he began winching through thin air to land it on the deck of the bridge I saw it was a terakihi. Brown/black saddle behind the head running down to the gill plate with that distinctive juju lips on the terakihi.

Definately not a trev.
I was gobsmacked

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2013 at 4:09pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wow,that is totally amazing. Have never heard of a terry in the Muddy,never. Have seen trevs and blue Moki. Any previous records of these in the muddy.?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2013 at 4:25pm
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Off the bridge even thats a good effort.
Page  <1 23456 288>