Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1234 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishin' Chick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 10:07pm
Fishin' Chick View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

we launch from ti toro cirrus Smile

did you manage to get out today and slay any gurnards?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 12:29pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have been catching a few Gurnards as of late on the Manukau, I have been finding that numbers of Gurnard are higher on the southern side of the harbour (Around Papakura and Waiuku channels and surrounding banks) but quality of fish seems to be a bit better on the northern side(Wairopa and Purakau channels and surrounding banks).

Had a great afternoon\evening session a couple of weekends ago on the turn of the low tide on the edge of the Karore Bank up the Papakura channel, bite was hard and had the bin full of Gurnard within an hour or so. Just had too wait a little to recover the boat at Cornwallis ramp.

Fished the turn of the low and bottom half of the incoming on Saturday 15/June Morning with a mate. Had to stay close to land due to a nasty wind vs tide chop, ended fishing the Te Tau bank out from Cornwallis. Fishing was slow managed to pick up a three good condition Gurnards on Kahawai baits as they moved up the bank from the channel. Then my mate hooked onto something a little more solid which I picked for a monster Kahawai as we had been catching the normal bursts of the Kahawai schools running across the bank all morning. After a bit of too and fro on the 8 pound braid setup, up popped this little rat. Quick photo and back into the harbour. It was a welcome surprise and proof that there are still some in the harbour. Mate managed to point load my crappy rod as he lifted the fish into the boat, but hey with a smile like that it is all worth it!

Also thought I would post this picture of a mantis shrimp I snared whilest drifting out from Kaitarakihi a couple of months ago. Put him back to fatten up the local Gurnard population Wink 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 12:42pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good report Flaw one. What depth are you getting the gurnard in on the banks. Cornwallis--what tide can you launch there. Is security O.K.
Went out yesterday .Option was to launch French Bay and fish off big or little muddy  or go to little Huia.Went to Little Huia as i could launch at low tide. Hard fishing for Gurnard. Started on edge of channel on the flats. Then moved to various spots around 3-4 metre in the bay as the current began to increase. Fished whole tide . Total 4 gurnard for 2 people. Biggest gurnard was 44cm to v in tail & smallest 39 cm. Few bursts of Kahawai coming through. Kept 7 total for 2 people and released others to fight and spawn for another day. All big fish 3-5 lb mark & in good condition.Gurnard didnt appear to have been feeding much,1 small paddle crab each in my two. Kahawai contained variety of feed . Including paddle crabs ,some small fish that were pink and shaped like tiny red cod. But surely not up here. Also several things that resembled small mantis shrimp. Also got a bit wet in passing heavy showers.Water temp seemed warmer than what would have been expected. One small trev -maybe just legal ,was released. Where are the Trevs that used to be abundant at this time of year. Havent seen them here for around 10 years now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexFyssher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 12:46pm
AlexFyssher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

How do soft baits work on Gurnard?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 10:14pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cirrus - I usually start at around five metres with the incoming tide and end up in about 6-7m, I keep out of the channels as I don't like the current and having to use more than 2oz of lead. Saying that I have had some of the best fishing ever on the Manukau in under 5 meters on an overcast day. Using the sounder helps as I look for gutters and depression and anchor up current slightly of these and drift my baits into them. Cornwallis is sweet to park up  at, Im a local so the residents keep an eye on my rig for me Wink I heard of a trailer going missing a few years ago, so I tend to lock my trailer chain to my towbar to be sure. I havnt caught any Trevs in a while either, perhaps its the spots im now fishing. I tend to find them in areas where there are sharp drops in depth or near shellfish beds.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 10:26pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Flaw one. Must try Cornwallis. Gives more of the incoming tide than french Bay which is half tide only. Would like to try the edge of the purukau channel that runs up between the two sets of banks or maybe channel edge off big or little muddy.Certainly very few Gurnard. at huia yesterday.
Maybe they are feeding further up the harbour where there is more feed.Used to get lots of Winter Trevelly along the channel edge drop off out there,mainly over horse mussels. But about 10 years back they didnt turn up and have seen very few since.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 1:10am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice work Flaw.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 8:42am
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah Cornwallis is a good option. The sand is usually pretty firm, I can launch and retrieve my 4m tinnie up to about an hour and a half either side of the tide depending on the size of the tide. Have had a few moments when I miscalculated but its never really too far to un-clip the trailer and push it down by hand then retrieve with a rope.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Maydogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 2:08pm
Maydogg View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Afternoon guys & girls,

I work near Auckland Airport and was thinking of taking my boat to work for an arvo fish (I work on Saturdays but finish early arvo.)

A couple of questions:

1. I drive from Orakei to the airport for work and go over Mangere bridge. This would be my closest launching area (15 foot tinny). Where would be the best/ easiest place to launch from around here?
I presume the tide can be an issue as it looks like it goes out a long way. Any all tide ramps??

2. If launching around Onehunga/ Mangere do I have to go far for a feed? Presumably mostly Gurnard/ Kahawai at this time of year as the snaps would have moved on?  I usually fish the Waitemata, so Manukau is new ground for me.

Be great to get your feedback.

Cheers,

Jason Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote samax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 4:03pm
samax View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

go to the port marker strait off the end of the runway mate got 8 gurnard and around 5 kahawai there last weekend a bro
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Maydogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 10:49pm
Maydogg View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

CHeers mate,

WHere would be the best place to launch from?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 7:02am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

May - I've used Waikowhai ramp.  That's probably about 10 mins drive from Mangere Bridge.  The ramp is probably OK up to an hour each side of low tide depending on the size of the tide.  The stuff you drive over is mostly rock and it's a little rough, but not too hairy.  The ramp is only a few hundred metres from the channel that takes you down to Cornwallis.  From there the big wide Muddy world is your oyster.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote samax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 12:54pm
samax View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

i have used the ramp at french bay most of the time and it is usually ok 2 hours either side of the tide was our rule in a 5 and a halph metre tinny
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote samax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2013 at 8:52pm
samax View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

anyone been out this week or looking to head out this weekend and any idea where the fish are at at the moment?
i know the end of the airport is ok at the moment but any other ideas?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spaceships Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2013 at 10:18pm
spaceships View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

regarding launching........from south side weymouth has a good ramp with plenty of parking, and I have yet to see signs of damage/theft etc.  Easy launching all tides except when super low there is not much channel left.  Pretty close to airport area for fishing too.

Hoping to get out soon but damn work keeps interfering with fishing.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dominus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2013 at 8:41pm
Dominus View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Looking like tomorrow will be a good day to take the boat for a run and have a fish down the Manukau.Looking at launching around 12ish.Hope the fish are playing the gameBig smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2013 at 11:01pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

where are all the gurnard.????  Out today fished out from cornwallis ,purukau channel.Every thing seemed right.Tried several spots from half tide incoming. 1 Gurnard ,couple of Kahawai.Also tried channel edge little muddy ---nil on first of outgoing tide. Back at French bay ramp. 3 other boats came in ,all gurnard hunters. No one had a gurnard. So my 1 gurnard was more than the other boats combined.So where are they.?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2013 at 11:47pm
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They know there's a comp or two on shortly, Cirrus....so they have gone into hiding....LOL
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote samax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2013 at 8:45am
samax View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

we were out in the thundercat again yesterday again by the channel marker off the end of the runway and got 8 gurnard and 3 kahawai there then moved down to the deeper water by the port tripod marker and managed another 2 at the beginning of the outgoing and headed back to french bay

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2013 at 9:06am
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We fished in a gut off the Papakura channel for about 3 hours of the incoming and got 7 gurnard, probably around 40 kahawai and 2 big barracuda. Was an awesome day to be out there
Page  <1234 288>