Livebait tank setup help plz

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Livebait tank setup help plz
    Posted: 31 May 2013 at 11:22pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

This has probably been done all before and if so can someone point me to the thread plz.
I am contemplating fitting a livebait tank to my little boat, very keen to not have one that just recirculates or aerates the water. I have drawn a few plans and mulled it over for a while but there is no point reinventing the wheel and there are no doubt a heap of good set ups out there, I would really appreciate some pics of your setup and what pump, size of tank etc, that works for you.
No idea is a bad idea Smile
Cheers Tonto
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote petethemeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 2:12pm
petethemeat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

This is on my Fyran 580. Convient space in front of OB well. Still tilts well up.
Haven't yet added scoop pickup for filling at speed but this is on the way. 
Intially had it draining back into OB well but this not a great idea as this is where the bilge pump picks up the clean water when not oving. Doh!
Have since fitted outlet which drains outside the well. 
Tank is from hitech plastics. Just cut a hole in the tank and used the cutout as the lid. Cheaper than proper "hatch" lid. Tight ******* I know. Embarrassed

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Durban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 2:23pm
Durban View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

i used to fish on my m8ts boat that had a live bait tank built into the deck when not in use we place the hatch cover on , it had a bung plug screwed into the hull inside the tank to fill it with water simply unscrew the plug water fills the tank coming from outside , depending how much free board your deck is above the water line . with a deck below the water line this wont work , to empty it screwed the plug back in we just used a bilge pump  , this was fitted towards the front of the boat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Norseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 2:29pm
Norseman View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

"Nothing is so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength." St. Francis de Sales
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 7:02pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers guys, been toying with the idea of running one hose for the pump and pick up with a "Y" fitting but not to sure if it will create back flow to the pump. Also I have a live well pump as opposed to a bilge pump which allows a wash down hose to be used but these are normally fitted inside the hull.
Good ideas there cheers
tonto 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CEEBEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 6:48pm
CEEBEE View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I simply used a container with a $39.00 battery operated air pump in it. Worked am absolute treat. Very calm fish.

Like this one

I STARTED THE DAY WITH NO FISH AND I STILL HAVE PLENTY LEFT
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2013 at 6:55pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

cheers CEEBEE had a couple of those but always flat batteries when you need them most LOL 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote :Hunter: Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2013 at 7:19pm
:Hunter: View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Tonto I will try takes some pictures of my setup tomorrow. Starts with a scoop mounted on a bracket just below the hull line, creates just enough flow when on the plane without blowing the fish away. I mounted a 500gph rule bilge pump on top of the bracket with a hole in the bottom of the pump bracket. This allows the water to go straight up through the bilge pump even when its not running. I then ran a pipe with a one way valve from the bilge pump up to my livebait tank which is a 40l round chlorine bucket mounted on the transom. I installed a cutoff tap where it goes into the tank. I keep it turned off when motoring around to prevent the tank filling. Once it goes into the tank I have a hose connection mounted on the inside. I have a length of hose with a fitting which I clip onto the tank to wash down the boat at sea. I have had 20 Jacks in the tank all day no worries. With the scoop you get a constant supply of fresh water which is the key to keeping livies alive. When I stop an anchor I have the bilge pump set up on a time which goes for 30 seconds every 3 minutes. Have run it all day and it doesn't flatten the battery. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2013 at 8:34pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Would love to see that set up hunter
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 7:16pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

look forward to the pics
cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 6:48pm
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

whats the consensus on intake filters

should I be installing one to a 500gph livewell pump,
or not really needed?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ohsoslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 6:57pm
Ohsoslow View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I've had no need for one on the intake, however I have fitted one to the outlet, as lazy fish seem to get stuck to it, and stop the flow!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 9:57pm
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Tonto2 Tonto2 wrote:

Cheers guys, been toying with the idea of running one hose for the pump and pick up with a "Y" fitting but not to sure if it will create back flow to the pump. Also I have a live well pump as opposed to a bilge pump which allows a wash down hose to be used but these are normally fitted inside the hull.
Good ideas there cheers
tonto 
I'm going to take that "Y" and make it a "T".
Buteline plumbing fittings are the go I reacon, luckily I've got the clamping tools for these too,otherwise any old marine adhesive would suffice I'm sure.
 Hopefully that'll feed the pump sufficiently underway, might need to install a value to the "T" outlet if pressures aint enough.
Installation tomorrow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Durban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 11:58pm
Durban View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

the T piece you have at the bottom end will restrict the flow to the left if you have water coming in from the bottom if you want an even flow fit a Y piece but make sure you fit it the correct way otherwise it restricts the flow to the one side the photo will show you how to fit it if you decide to fit one with a Y piece if you do not connect it the way it should be connected it restricts the flow out on one end too .in other words if you connect the incoming flow to one of the Y,s & epect the flow to go out at the other end of the Y & the remaining end this does not work the flow presure is not great at the outgoing  Y end but stronger on the other end
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2013 at 8:01am
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Durban Durban wrote:

the T piece you have at the bottom end will restrict the flow to the left if you have water coming in from the bottom if you want an even flow 
the left of the 'T" isn't connected to anything, it acts as an unrestricted inflow at rest (internal Ø = pump internal Ø), and whilst underway this shall lift above the water and act as a pressure relief only so as not to over load the pump. The water enters the lower water intake (venturi), and its direct path shall be straight thru the "T" to feed the pump, any excess water intake that the pump doesn't suck thru shall be pushed to the left of the "T" (pressure relief).
The only reason I don't want to run 2 separate intakes, is I reacon I'll forget to turn the pump off when under power, which will then be running dry, and I assume shall burn out relatively quickly.
And the addition of an external float switch (reverse of a bilge float switch) doesn't appeal.
However, if this doesn't work as expected, shall resort to double intakes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2013 at 11:08am
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

brainwave....if I now want to keep bait alive whilst boat is on the trailer
I can plug bottom venturi and recirculate the water using a hose connecting 
"outlet" to "T"

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 5:59pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Looks like you have gone down to 15mm as your intake  be interested to hear about your results
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 8:49am
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Looks like you have gone down to 15mm as your intake  be interested to hear about your results
yeah I've only got the reduction at the venturi for when under way, when at rest the pump will suck water thru the larger "T" opening, which has the same internal Ø as the pump, so there's no restriction of flow.
I might get to test it out on Friday, in which case I'll do a small report with pics.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 2:44pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 8:40am
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Structfab Structfab wrote:

Good ideas there cheers
tonto 
I'm going to take that "Y" and make it a "T".
Buteline plumbing fittings are the go I reacon, luckily I've got the clamping tools for these too,otherwise any old marine adhesive would suffice I'm sure.
 Hopefully that'll feed the pump sufficiently underway, might need to install a value to the "T" outlet if pressures aint enough.
Installation tomorrow.
finally tested this yesterday, works well at rest and underway. the pressure buildup inside the tank kept blowing the tank lid off, which I've drilled additional drain holes to release this pressure and stop it from happening....sign of a good pump i spose.
complete & final installation today, will try to get some photos uploaded

Page  12>