Mayor Island blue nose

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 9:52pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Cashedup.. 300-400m is the normal spot out the back of Mayor Is, 90% of sounders wont pick up fish out there in that depth But will pick up the bottom.
Starting to get a little late in season for them( best time is April-May) but have caught them all year round but mainly small fish.
Yes, they do "stack up" from the bottom, mormally 50m or so but of course you will need a good sounder and ability to decipher it. Drifting over pins and or putting down droppers is a good way to find fish, especially around slack water and preferably early in the morning.
Good setup is a TLD 25 or 30 loaded with 80lb braid and 2 hook dropper rig with 2 circle hooks, 12-16/0 would be good and 32oz sinkers are sweet.Heavy jigs(500g) or diamond eye jigs in 4-500g work well also
Good luck as they are one of the best eating fish in the ocean
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cashedup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 10:21pm
Cashedup View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks Kaveman, I did hear that the ones caught recently were quite small. Thanks for the advice on the reels too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Aza123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 6:52pm
Aza123 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anyone find more marking or were to go
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 8:21pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Aron, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but no one is going to give away blue nose spots over the internet. What I can do though is offer you some advice. Look at your charts, find some very deep drop offs and go from there. I am not a deep water fisherman but I'd be looking for at least 400m in an area like that. you will need either a very good fish finder or a whole lot of luck. 
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 8:50pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you don't have a sounder that can find fish at 3-400m it will be a lottery. Even if you had a GPS mark - that will be a starting point. After that you are fishing blind.
You really need a sounder that can find them. They don't sit on a spot 50m wide, waiting for you to drop a line on them.
As was mentioned earlier - they do tend to stack vertical in the water column - unlike most other fish. So if you can find fish marks that extend 20-30m off the deep bottom, chances are you are on them. Worth a drop, for sure.
If you find good sign layered on the bottom, worth a drop anyway - may be puka, bass, gem, OR BN. I have caught plenty of BN right on the bottom with other fish when no other sign seems around.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 8:55pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Great advice Alan!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Page  <12