few pics of land bassed lure caught fish

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Michael Jenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: few pics of land bassed lure caught fish
    Posted: 21 May 2013 at 7:09pm
Michael Jenkins View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

been doing more and more of this sort of fishing land bassed (along with a heap of softbaiting) and thought i'd post a few pics. Just something a bit different really. Yes some of the fish shown are undersized and were carefully released after a quick photo. feel free to ask questions Smile

1st snapper on a sebile flat shad/1st snapper on a hardbody

snapper on a little rapala x-rap

cheeky little hiwihiwi launched out of the kelp and swiped it from right infront of a snapper

not really a hardbody, but a type of small inchinku

trevally on a sebile flat shad

wee mousey king caught on a sebile flat shad, no berley trail just free casting

whole lot of lure and not much fish to bite it hahaha!

pannie on a rapala x-rap

Best snap on a hardbody to date, 50cm on the same rapala x-rap as above, that lure's got a few teeth marks in it now

small snapper on a popper: the fish of a thousand casts haha! only one out of many retrives gets approached, only one out of many approaches gets a swipe, only one out of many swipes gets a hookup and only one out of 3 hookups has resulted in a landed fish.... .....so forgive me if i haven't even really tried for another since getting the 1st haha! might have to revisit this with the better average size of fish about at the moment.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boffhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 7:47pm
Boffhead View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

That looks like wicked fun bro! What's the technique for those lures off the bricks?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 8:11pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That's impressive Michael, snapper on rapalas and poppers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 8:16pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice mate brings back nice memories of days gone by doing it up at Hihi
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote landman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 9:25am
landman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Choice stuff myself and brown dog are on a mission to do more lure shore fishing this winter hope we can post results like that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 9:43am
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one MJ, which lure has been your most successful? Hard bodies worked better than softbaits?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fenien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 10:12am
Fenien View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice work MJ.Lures are where its atThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brown Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 4:53pm
Brown Dog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice work Michael, hopefully others will be able to add their pictures and stories of Land Based Lure success, its certainly a challenging way to fish.Thumbs Up

Cant believe the Hiwihiwi took a lure, brought a smile to my face, but hey its another species I guess.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 4:57pm
fish i View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice MJ, been lovin' the light lil' allures as of late also, great fun.
6th place in the inaugural Te Kauwhata Regionals paddle crab division
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 6:59pm
DIY! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice stuff alright, I have been softbaiting thru and thru and have had a go on jitterbugs.. they are good fun but not too much too it... thanks for posting
http://www.actionstations.co.nz

Berkley 2009 and 2010 S/B champ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Michael Jenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 8:43pm
Platinum
Platinum

Boffhead: this is what i know so far: for bibed minnows(rapala cd's etc) suspending or sinking slowly=good, movement/wiggle at low speed=good, flash=good, uv reflective=good, floating back up after pausing=bad.

cast them out  wide and sweep'n'wind with the rod tip close to the water to get it down, then slow retrive with pauses, or sweeping the rod up high with pauses to lift the lure up higher in the water if you start hitting the bottom.

if your not getting right down and wind up fishing mid water in the particular spot you're in with the lures you have, retrive along side any structure that is poking up from the depths, snapper are more comfortable moving higher in the water column if they've got a wall of kelp beside them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boffhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 9:06pm
Boffhead View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Choice bro that's great info, hopefully be given the technique a crack Queens B-day wkend, any recommendations on brand's of lures? What weight of lure u use for each type?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote loodafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 5:17pm
loodafish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Mate thats primo!!! Looks like heaps of fun and cheap and cheerful too eh
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 7:36pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thats some awsome work. had some doubts on the hard bodys but i think you have proved that they work well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 8:23pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Michael Jenkins Michael Jenkins wrote:

Boffhead: this is what i know so far: for bibed minnows(rapala cd's etc) suspending or sinking slowly=good, movement/wiggle at low speed=good, flash=good, uv reflective=good, floating back up after pausing=bad.

cast them out  wide and sweep'n'wind with the rod tip close to the water to get it down, then slow retrive with pauses, or sweeping the rod up high with pauses to lift the lure up higher in the water if you start hitting the bottom.

if your not getting right down and wind up fishing mid water in the particular spot you're in with the lures you have, retrive along side any structure that is poking up from the depths, snapper are more comfortable moving higher in the water column if they've got a wall of kelp beside them

Have you tried them from a boat?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brown Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 8:53pm
Brown Dog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by loodafish loodafish wrote:

Looks like heaps of fun and cheap and cheerful too eh

Definitely fun but cheap? Don't think so
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Michael Jenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2013 at 6:29pm
Platinum
Platinum

bah! where'd the rest of my reply go? there was more i'm sure:

BA: have you done a bit of this sort of thing in your land-bassed past? keen to hear what you used and what worked? I remember reading that some of the 1st softbaiting for snapper in this country was done land bassed on mister twisters by Mr Kemsley in the 80's off the rocks up north, I'm interested to hear from anyone who's poineered this kinda stuff, time's ripe for land-bassed lure fishing to become a bit more mainstream i reckon! Smile

Landman & brown dog: good stuff! keen to see how ya get on, have you had a go with softies around kk bay, going by your report the other day of them being right in close they sound like prime targets to have a go at that. I'm keen to join fenien for a crack at gurnard on little inchinkus once that damned red weed buggers off, I've found trevs quiet fond of little flat shads at times, had a sesion last winter on the gulf where every 2-3 casts brought in one of around 30cm, keen to try that around cake is. and under the light house.

Deacs: I've got 2 lures that are right little troopers: it'd be between a little sebile flat shad in blu althea or the little rapala x-rap that those snapper were caught on, i'll post a closeup pic of them later as they're getting pretty worn/bitten/gnarled looking after 10 months of active duty and look pretty cool with the teeth marks/scratches (actually i quietly fear a good fish would crunch the x-rap up and destroy it lol). Though really it's still early days, i'm still figuring out how a lure should swim/behave to get our fish to bite, pleanty more options out there in the world to try, lots more theories to test. it's a case of balancing testing new ideas and refining what's currently working, and satisfying the urge to just do what works and bend a rod lol! so much still to learn. But yeah at this stage softies are still more effective by a reasonable margin, understandable given how much more development has happened there over the years.

Fish-i: what have you played with and what's the results like, keen to hear anything from anyone giving this a go! Thumbs Up

loodafish: fun: definately! cheap...    depends really! there's a bit of an outlay to start with to have small collection, but so long as you don't lose the lures it certainly can be cheap. I've only just now started to downsize my trace/tackle to get more hits, previously i was fishing line/trace weights that meant i'd straiten trebble hooks rather than loose lures, it's only now after 12 months (not 100% these lures over that time though) i've got a good sense for the sink rates etc and can avoid hitting snags in the 1st place so am downsizing the trace etc, also i tend to cast a softie around when i 1st arrive at a new spot to sorta "feel out" the teritory and get to know where the snags are. I think if I fished them on 15lb trace 1st outing it woulda been expensive and i wouldn't have stuck with it at all haha!

Fishing addiction: Although it does work, i wouldn't go saying that this is a method equal to baits/softies/inchinkus etc at this stage, it's still more effort per hookup that's for sure, so not my 1st choice to put food on the plate, but alot of fun and a real challenge. though it's a type of fishing that's in it's infancy really, if a few people stick at it and keep thinking and refining what they're doing and explooring the world of lures that are out there it'll only get better.

Kandrew, nah not really, i'm not that big on boat fishing (nothing wrong with boats of course, they're just not my thing), but there's alot of development going on in australia at the moment with slow-trawling bibbed minows/crankbaits for snapper, particularly with downriggers, shouldn't be hard to google up a few forum posts/articals/vids, figure out what's working over there and give that a go over here i'm sure, I believe Milan from Big Angry Fish headed across and gave it a go, so that should appear on season 2 of the series. Get stuck in now and be ahead of the curve lol Tongue

actually i should say that the most valuable source of information for getting this stuff working has been from the australian bream market, bream are relatives of snapper and alot of the basic principles of getting bream to bite lures apply to our snapper. Also a golden rule from our own Craig Worthington with reference to snapper on flies "slow sinking=good, floating up=bad" that's a key for sure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brown Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 9:22pm
Brown Dog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just studying your lures Micheal, what method are you using to secure your lure to your leader? I've been using genie clips, but not sure this is the best method, thinking of going to a Rapala knot, have noticed you are using a few different methods, what's been most successful for you? Also are you using a swivel from leader to mainline or just tying your Fluro leader straight to the Braid??

Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 10:13pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I've lost a few fish with genie clips, probably my bad technique more than the clip though. Common sense tells me it is hard for a fish to shake a lure free when the rod is loaded..... ohhh well.

Michael PM me if you're keen on a night time session for KY ... I know Landman & Brown Dogs secret spot Big smile Friday, Saturday and Sunday night looking good. Maybe a softbait vs hardbait challenge? Maybe we could even see who could catch the best fish on the shonkiest lure Clown
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 10:24pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Michael Jenkins Michael Jenkins wrote:

pleanty more options out there in the world to try, lots more theories to test. it's a case of balancing testing new ideas and refining what's currently working, and satisfying the urge to just do what works and bend a rod lol! 
Excellent Michael! It is this aspect that fishing offers that makes it a lifelong learning curve and insatiable challenge, irrespective of the fish size and your previous level of experience.

Thumbs Up
Page  123 4>