fluorocarbon

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fluorocarbon
    Posted: 19 May 2013 at 5:01pm
sappercatcha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm using black magic at the mo (30lb) I'm finding it quite stiff and hard to tie knots in line joiners are the hardest

is there a brand that has got better flexibility?? or should i go to 20lb I'm running 14lb braid so 20lb leader may be a bit light??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Starnsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 5:05pm
Starnsy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

For what application would be a good start Thumbs Up

Softs prefer light - 15lb Yo-Zuri
Inchiku bump up a little - 30lb Yo-Zuri

What joining knot are you using? 
Assume its something with a double in the leader?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 6:06pm
Platinum
Platinum

both soft baits and straylineing dead baits
even dropper rigs
my soft bait gear gets used for all sorts as i love it so much
as far as knots go ether an albright knot or back to back uni depending on what i feel like doing at the time
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 6:15pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nothing wrong with blackmagic been using 20lb for years. 30lb is a bit thick, what knott you using I'll show you how to tie the knott I use at the next oasis fishing club meeting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote captain.Gav. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 6:40pm
captain.Gav. View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by sappercatcha sappercatcha wrote:

I'm using black magic at the mo (30lb) I'm finding it quite stiff and hard to tie knots in line joiners are the hardest

is there a brand that has got better flexibility?? or should i go to 20lb I'm running 14lb braid so 20lb leader may be a bit light??

I dont do softbaiting, but totally agree that the blackmagic fluoro is hard to tie and seems to 'fray' more than others once pulled tight, even when wetting the knot before tightening.
Do lots of straylining with fluoro leaders and have found yo-zuri and vanish two of the better brands for tying in the lower poundage lines.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 7:29pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by captain.Gav. captain.Gav. wrote:

I dont do softbaiting, but totally agree that the blackmagic fluoro is hard to tie and seems to 'fray' more than others once pulled tight, even when wetting the knot before tightening.
Do lots of straylining with fluoro leaders and have found yo-zuri and vanish two of the better brands for tying in the lower poundage lines.
yep it frays bad ive had to tie knots 2-3 times to get one that id be happy if i hooked up on a monster snap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 7:46pm
DIY! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

vanish, seagar are good ones flexible and strong.  I have been using a vanishing pink and rate it highly

http://www.actionstations.co.nz

Berkley 2009 and 2010 S/B champ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote captain.Gav. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 7:50pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by captain.Gav. captain.Gav. wrote:

yep it frays bad ive had to tie knots 2-3 times to get one that id be happy if i hooked up on a monster snap
Same, in fact i used to tie some deep water 'stand-out dropper knot rigs' with it but found they busted under pressure. So went away from using such a well known brand. The supple trace is heaps easier to use but way prefer to fish with fluoro leaders and traces, especially when playing a good snap whos chomping on it.  Fluoro is harder to tie knots but try some other brands mentioned and i think youll be far happier.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AndyK-22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 8:21pm
AndyK-22 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yo-zuri and Ocean Angler Fluoro..... 

Both are nice and soft. Very easy to tie with. 

I wouldn't go over 25lb personally. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 8:43pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Black magic 30 lb for me. 
Been pretty reliable on big snaps and few good kings to almost 20kg.  Use 8lb pioneer braid mostly, have a few reels with slightly heavier braid to 10kg, but knot strength not a problem -short double -spider hitch and no name knot (similar to albright) into double with a bit of spit.
20lb flouro is ok for smaller fish but you want to go heavier on big fish in shallow foul as they will bounce off a few rocks and occassionally get stuck in kelp.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Starnsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 8:49pm
Starnsy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I would trust my 15lb Yo-Zuri rubbing against rocks more than I would trust 30lb Black Magic....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote captain.Gav. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 8:55pm
Silver
Silver

Yep, way prefer Yo-Zuri, vanish or suffix  Fluoros  over  Blackmagic fluoro.
Let the voting begin..........
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 8:55pm
Platinum
Platinum

where can i get this Yo-zuri stuff no one has it listed of there website ie topcatch marine deals etc etc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 9:02pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

really....SmileLOL ... these puffers fight like demons, they'd smoke ya on 15-20lb yozuri
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 9:02pm
Catchit View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

"We gave Sir Peter a knighthood," Mr Key said, "And if we could give him a second one, we would."

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Starnsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 9:08pm
Starnsy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Get mine from Greg at GoFish... In Northcote
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rob Optimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 9:15pm
Rob Optimist View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

How do you find the stren fc
Or the new ocean angler?
               "attitude is everything"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PDSquid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 7:47pm
PDSquid View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

used 15lb stren and thought it was ok, quite stiff but got used to it
gunjack all the teke
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OffTheHook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 8:59pm
OffTheHook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yozuri 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 9:41pm
1Daz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've also been using black magic for years, (It's such good value for money)  but recently tried the ocean angler and I rate it. Ocean angler is more supple, more flexible, and its thinner than black magic fluro and still good value compared to other brands.
Pretty sure i've seen Yo-zuri on the shelf at FCO.
Go the Warriors!
Page  12>