10-12ft soft plastic rods?

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10-12ft soft plastic rods?
    Posted: 17 May 2013 at 8:56pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ive seen various im6 custom long rods around, are there any affordable options on the market? (sub $150)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 9:06pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Why would you want one that long
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 9:08pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One of the things with soft plastics, is shorter rods give you more feel and allow rod to load up and for you to strike quicker -that sort of sensitivity is key with softbaits. They are slim stiff parobolic blanks- thats quite an ask in a longer rod. 
You could try some of the carp rods maybe (not commonly sold in NZ) -otherwsie I am not aware of rods that length which would do the job.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 9:10pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A12 ft s/b rod would be bloody handy to get the frisbee off the roof
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 9:15pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Jig rods are parabolic,s/ b rods are fast tapper,sensitive in the tip to move baits with a progressive tapper to set the hook and apply pressure,the 6 ft 6 to 7 ft range has proven to be a good length to cast baits in most conditions and fight fish without applying to much pressure on the angler,i have however fished with a good bugger from this site who used a 10 ft rod to slay a good number of fish...or may be it was his striking good looks and being a fish magnet that caughtte fish
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scuzzymoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 9:32pm
scuzzymoto View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

the guys in the UK/Europe use  rods in the 8-10 foot range, you can buy them in NZ- 
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled” Mark Twain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 9:38pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

SP guys always wanting to follow the "trend" not invent their own rules :-)

thanks scuzzy, yep them the ones i been looking at, might have to go with one of them or an 8ft6. had a custom 11ft SP rod in oz, worked beautifully and was also handy for light lures in the surf. really enjoyed using sluggos on it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 9:47pm
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bloody hard to net your fish with a longer rod.
Love fishing, love my job. It's a bloody shame that they clash.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 9:48pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

SP guys always wanting to follow the "trend" not invent their own rules :-)

thanks scuzzy, yep them the ones i been looking at, might have to go with one of them or an 8ft6. had a custom 11ft SP rod in oz, worked beautifully and was also handy for light lures in the surf. really enjoyed using sluggos on it.

Not all of us " follow the trend" ive had alot of custom s/b rods ..tried diffrent lengths ,blanks etc...may be you should of been more specific in your question as it seems you want a rod to cast lures more than a dedicated s/ b rod
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 9:48pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

I'm very interested - can you please explain the advantages over shorter rods?

(NB not for kayak fishing - just for general softbaiting.)
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 9:49pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Potty Potty wrote:

get a longer net? lol.

SP fishos, so limited in imagination.

im asking if anyone knows of such a rod not what they think is the trend or what i need it for.

make your own path people.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 9:50pm
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I brought one from South Africa 4 yrs ago for S/B 9ft 3pice and its great fast taper and heaps of power.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 9:51pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

Originally posted by Potty Potty wrote:

get a longer net? lol.

SP fishos, so limited in imagination.

im asking if anyone knows of such a rod not what they think is the trend or what i need it for.

make your own path people.

How about " if it aint broke why fix it "
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 9:51pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Ummmm...I do things for reasons.

I have reasons for the gear I use (personal experience, constantly refining what I have learned from others and often making what I think are improvements), but I am always interested in reasons to improve.

If there's no reason or no improvement...errrr...derrrr....
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 9:53pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

ok ill re word the question lol.

10-12ft soft plastic rods? does anyone know of any?

hope thats re worded sufficiently.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 9:53pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by PJay PJay wrote:

I have reasons for the gear I use, but I am always interested in reasons to improve.

If there's no reason or no improvement...eerrrr...derrrr....

so you make your own path ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 9:55pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Damn bloody right - you do know that, Wayne.

Plenty of others have picked up my ideas, ideas that were by no means popular until I proved them.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 9:55pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by PJay PJay wrote:

I have reasons for the gear I use

exactly my point, you doubley stated the meaning of my sarcasm. ;-p (which wasnt aimed at you specifically)

im not asking for why, how, but the world is flat type questions/statements. just wanted to know if there were any options for my question.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 9:57pm
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fizfisho - Mate I got a custom rod made up slightly longer than standard, it's my number 1 rod. You really notice the difference when it comes to netting the fish, and yes I do have a bloody long net.
Love fishing, love my job. It's a bloody shame that they clash.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 10:01pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i dont intend to net the fish as i wont need to for its desired application, i appreciate your point and agree.
Page  123>