Attention Inflatable Lifejacket Owners

Page  <1234>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 9:34am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

very very good point roddholder. assume same would have been case with auto inflatable.
In your case a real plus for Manual inflatable jacket
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 9:35am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Roddholder - in your situation, if you had been tethered to the boat as well (I do this when out solo so I can't go overboard, tether is from a bracket close to helm to the back strap of the inflatable PFD) would this have worked out O.K.?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 8:46pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by krow krow wrote:

Thanks HugI'll check mine tomorrow.
Well checked mine (red RFD) and as It all looked very good till I went to see if the cannister was screwed in and I found it was 1/2 unscrewed. Very scary when I've been using it on solo missions. I doubt it would have worked.
EVERYBODY check yours NOW.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 10:03pm
Jet_ski_fisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When you're on the ocean with your self and your kids  or just your self. make sure everything works, from the steering to engine to life jackets. this should be part of your weekly maintenance. give a good going over on your boat just to nip things in the butt before they get worse. double check everything including wiring lights etc etc. make a list and stick it up some place close by and tick things off when done...better now than when your on the water and it breaks down or on the road and a trailer bearing fails in the middle of no mans land...like rust it just get's worse the longer you leave it.. happy boating folks..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2013 at 6:22am
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We have 6 new jackets , checked them all and found 2x needed to be screwed in. Pinch. Thanks for the thread
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2013 at 8:48am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

what!! 2 out of 6 not screwed in. Thats not good at all. Bet if 2 out of 6 cars on the road had no brakes some action would be taken---fast.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote roddholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2013 at 11:21am
roddholder View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

expresso, i cant think of a worse place to tether yourself. if you fell over while underway you would be towed backwards?.
i had enough trouble getting out without a tether line as well.

the thing is it all happens so fast you dont really have time to think.
i got hooked up in a 60lb trace and hook. it caught in my shorts ant the arm of the seat.
i done a forward roll and left my shorts behind. lol.

when my feet touched the sand, my legs went to jelly for about 5 mins. i guess i was in shock.
a bloody scary feeling i can tell you.
she was only a fishermans daughter, but she reeled at the sight of my rod!.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tightlines2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 12:39am
tightlines2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Anybody else checked their life jackets lately?
Remember it's not the number of breaths you take that is important in life, but rather the number of times that life takes your breath away.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 12:48am
Jet_ski_fisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

rodholder when boating you always and i mean always have the lanyard attached to your wrist. so when you do go over, it stops the engine :) or you go one way and your pride n joy heads to china without you or if found hijacked and sold back to you at a inflated price minus the fishing gear :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 6:44am
Catchit View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I.m wondering what Coastgaurd, Maritime NZ would think of this thread, truly frightening stuff..
"We gave Sir Peter a knighthood," Mr Key said, "And if we could give him a second one, we would."

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 10:13am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I marvel when i read all this.Is this for real?????. I suspect it is and that something is radically wrong.
Most people ,self included buy a life jacket,wear it so we dont drown if we end up in the water..
Cylinders that corrode or fall out. Not good.What is going on.?
Where are the years of knowledge on what to use in marine conditions. Has the global economy  caused a such downward spiral of quality to compete on price.?.
Why cant fittings in inflatable jackets be made of non corrosive material . Why not brass fittings & brass cylinders .Why not some sort of locking devise so the cylinders dont fall out
IMO jackets should have a label that says. "we make em cheep to compete".Wear this jacket at your own risk. Not guaranteed to work or save your life." Would not a label like that be closer to the truth.!
Maybe a niche market for a life jacket maker to make quality jackets ,quality fittings. A person who designs & makes them. No staff in giant factories off shore who may be the weak link to quality.
A person who does the whole job themselves or works with a trusted small team,focus on quality & durability  Designs, knows & makes a product well. Would cost more. But i would buy one.
Have right here a standard jacket. Its 12 years old. Canadian made ,comfortable and i like it in the winter for warmth. Brand name Mustang. But inside the label says.
"This devise may lose buoyancy over a period of time and become no longer serviceable. The in water performance should be checked regularly during each season to determine it provides adequate buoyancy."
Good helpful info. But what would be even more to the point would be type of foam used & average expected life span. There are many foams available, all  of various qualities with different life spans.
Testing it. Well right now i dont feel like jumping in the harbour to test it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 2:14pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think you're being a little unfair there Cirrus.  What this actually shows is that when you buy safety equipment you should read the instructions that come with it and make yourself familiar with it.  You should also regularly service this equipment, not just chuck it on the boat and hope it will be OK when you need it.

The canisters are probably not fully screwed in to some jackets to prevent accidental inflation when being transported and corrosion would not be an issue if the jacket was checked every six months, as it probably should be.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tightlines2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 10:09pm
tightlines2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

I think you're being a little unfair there Cirrus.  What this actually shows is that when you buy safety equipment you should read the instructions that come with it and make yourself familiar with it.  You should also regularly service this equipment, not just chuck it on the boat and hope it will be OK when you need it.

The canisters are probably not fully screwed in to some jackets to prevent accidental inflation when being transported and corrosion would not be an issue if the jacket was checked every six months, as it probably should be.

I agree Kevin, but the lesson that I have learnt from this is that most of us if we were truthful would think that we've just spent some good money on this flash new PFD and ASSUME that as long as we wear it while we are in the boat that "she'll be right" , don't worry about the instructions, they are for sissys. What I would have liked, is for someone to have asked me what my experience was with boating. When they discovered that I had only just bought a boat then perhaps a quick "do you know about the correct operation and maintenance of this PFD (or Personal Locator Beacon etc)?" would have alerted me to some "issues" that weren't obvious at the time.

I personally believe that it is good luck that we haven't seen major disaster with issue yet.

All I want to do is make people aware of the potential problems and check their gear regularly.
Remember it's not the number of breaths you take that is important in life, but rather the number of times that life takes your breath away.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 10:53pm
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A severe cold which turned into a dose of the lurgy - which has kept me well and truly grounded for the past two weeks or so - has knocked me around more than I care to admit ..... so will endeavour to get outside tomorrow, climb into the boat and check my inflatable life jackets.  
This is very high on my to-do list and ranks ahead of mowing the lazy acres....(which are about a foot high in the back yard at the moment..)    Embarrassed
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 11:14pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by tightlines2 tightlines2 wrote:

I agree Kevin, but the lesson that I have learnt from this is that most of us if we were truthful would think that we've just spent some good money on this flash new PFD and ASSUME that as long as we wear it while we are in the boat that "she'll be right" , don't worry about the instructions, they are for sissys. What I would have liked, is for someone to have asked me what my experience was with boating. When they discovered that I had only just bought a boat then perhaps a quick "do you know about the correct operation and maintenance of this PFD (or Personal Locator Beacon etc)?" would have alerted me to some "issues" that weren't obvious at the time.

I personally believe that it is good luck that we haven't seen major disaster with issue yet.

All I want to do is make people aware of the potential problems and check their gear regularly.

Agree with Tightlines 2,in that many people buy a nice jacket and expect it work. After all its brand new.No need to check it for 6 months-what possibly could go wrong with a new jacket.Attitude is ,will read instructions later ,i know how it works. Just pull the cord.No one has told them the canister may not be screwed in. Well they should be told ! Wouldnt be too hard for the retailer to check it for them ,show how it is done before they walk out the door. After being shown  it is the users responsibility to check and maintain the jacket. Easier to be shown than read  through pages of often difficult to grasp care info.
Possibly i was a little unfair ,possibly not.Was trying to make the point some jackets will fail. That Tomorrow or next week  there will be people out there wearing jackets that will let them down in  in a emergency. Does it need to be like this.?
When a boatie is out there solo, if he falls he falls alone. Nothing between him & Davy Jones except his jacket.
I didnt check my cylinder for several months after i bought a Manual inflatable PDF last year. Why would i ? .When checked in my case it was screwed in and clearly was screwed in when purchased.
I never leave mine in the boat . I hang it up on a coat hanger and keep indoors in a dry place out of UV light.
As for corrosion of cylinders . Any reason that these can not be made of material that does not corrode . After all, PDF jackets are worn in a corrosive marine environment. Looking on the web seems like this is a problem in other countries as well. Cylinders must be checked for dirt and corrosion.
Friend came out with me last week. He had a brand new -pricy conventional jacket. I asked if he got care info with it.He didnt. . Why he didnt get any care info i dont know. Either there wasnt any or he wasnt given any.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 5:40am
Catchit View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What instructions ?

No, if you buy a product as important as these lifejackets, confidence and peace of mind is included in the price (or should be)

We have recently bought 3 of these things, so we could do the right thing and wear them fulltime (hated the bulk of the older life jackets) and on reading this thread I realize they may not be 'life' jackets at all.

The retailers should check to see they are ready to use. There should also be information on how to check/care for these things.

Not take the money and run
"We gave Sir Peter a knighthood," Mr Key said, "And if we could give him a second one, we would."

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 8:25pm
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just updated a couple of life jackets today @ $99.00 each...not inflatable ones either..I like to have more than a balloon for support...who knows what could happen.. bit late if it ends up with a hole somehow when your needing it to keep you afloat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 11:30pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Surely as with any life saving device being sold eg smoke alarms they have to meet certain standards.

Presumably PFD's have to meet certain standards so the next question is are there varying standards for
all jackets or one to cover all types?

Whatever the case may be then if pfd's are being sold that may not for whatever reason perform their intended purpose one would think the most sensible solution would be to re write the standards.

Something is obviously very wrong with the existing situation .... how best to change it?
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2013 at 7:33am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well checked mine (red RFD) and as It all looked very good till I went to see if the cannister was screwed in and I found it was 1/2 unscrewed. Very scary when I've been using it on solo missions. I doubt it would have worked.

And do you know if it has gas in it then?
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2013 at 8:02am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

And do you know if it has gas in it then?

No way of being 100% sure on that Al or if it is going to work without actually deploying the device.

Weighing has been mentioned however at best that only gives an indication rather than proof.

Conversely what would happen if for some reason or other a cylinder contained excess gas or pressure?
At what point would a seam blow which of course would render it useless or do they have some sort of
max pressure valve function built in ? 
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Page  <1234>