round vs square poontoon

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote family affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: round vs square poontoon
    Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 7:14pm
family affair View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

looking at a couple boats on trademe couple nice 490 stabis for a fair price with decent gear on them so my question is do the older round poontoons ride better then th d shape ons?
mv maui
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moki Marko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 7:53pm
Moki Marko View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

no - the only real dif is the D shape pontoons aren't so wide so the boat is a bit roomier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 7:55pm
RC1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

new shape definitely better ride, the old shape tend to 'plough' into the water, those 490s are a bit too expensive for what they are, used to set them up for 22k brand new back in 1997

Get a Frewza
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote family affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 8:02pm
Platinum
Platinum

cant get a frewza for around the 17k mark
mv maui
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 8:22pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

With the rounded pontoons I always found that when side on in a chop, the spray would deflect out and up at 45 degrees and blow back into the boat, (Mac 420's are terrible for this). The slab sided pontoons not so much, as they deflect spray downwards via an aggressive chine.
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 8:28pm
RC1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by family affair family affair wrote:

can do a new one for 20k with a 40hp Parsun trim and tilt model

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote worksux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 6:44am
worksux View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Jon, Have a look at the fc 430 for $15g, hell of a lot of boat for its size.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote family affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 7:49am
Platinum
Platinum

Yea iv got that on the back of my mind lol don't know if id get board of it to fast though tiller steer etc
mv maui
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote noponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 10:47am
noponies View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You could do a CC 420 DNA hull with a 2 stroke for 17k I would think, or close to it. I'm surprised you can't get a Frewza within that price range.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Contract Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 1:32pm
Contract View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by family affair family affair wrote:

Yes you can ! PM me. Perfect set up. Hi Side 4.1 center console with full electrics. basically used as the base model for the new F14. Will sell for less than 17K (but not much !) Check out the big FREWZA thread. pages 3 & 5 I think & you will follow the build process and photos.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moki Marko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 4:45pm
Platinum
Platinum

Bays Boating in Motueka have a real nice Sea Nymph 506 Stinger with a 300hr 115 yamaha - for about 13k -  if I was wanting a smaller boat, I'd be very tempted...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 9:43pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The 490 stabi  is finest 16 footer ever made... we fish wide in big seas regularly.  I've been in plenty of other boats including the D pontoons and your surtees ramco,marco, mclays,fryrans, haines signatures, reflexes, haines hunters sea nymphs, steadcrafts, seaforces , bonitos.  
I catch more big snapper and marlin than anyone I know out of a 16 foot trailer boat. 
If you can get a 490 for 22K its a good buy. 
My boat 12 years old done way over 3000 hours long ago on 50 four yahmi and 10000s of nautical miles  -we usually do 80 to 90 on a usual day gamefishing. 
It handles tuts to brett and back; trench and back to tuts.; Muriwai to where you can see Cape Egmont;  Leigh to Great Barrier; Leigh to Mokes....show me another 16 footer that can do all that.
 f you want a bigger boat (more room) have a look at stabi XCs about 5.8 mteters made around same time -late 90s.
The 490 Stabi boat says..."eat my dust "-there's never been a finer small boat built by Stabi or anyone else -which I why I still own one.
This is not an angry post -its a proud one.   Smile  Suceed on!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 9:54pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

The 490 stabi  is finest 16 footer ever made... we fish wide in big seas regularly.  I've been in plenty of other boats including the D pontoons and your surtees ramco,marco, mclays,fryrans, haines signatures, reflexes, haines hunters sea nymphs, steadcrafts, seaforces , bonitos.  
I catch more big snapper and marlin than anyone I know out of a 16 foot trailer boat. 
My boat 12 years old done way over 3000 hours long ago on 50 four yahmi and 1000s of of nautical miles  -we usually do 80 to 90 on a usual day gamefishing. 
It handles tuts to brett and back; trench and back to tuts.; Muriwai to where you can see Cape Egmont;  Leigh to Great Barrier; Leigh to Mokes....show me another 16 footer that can do all that.
 f you want a bigger boat (more room) have a look at stabi XCs about 5.8 mteters made around same time -late 90s.
The 490 Stabi boat says..."eat my dust "-there's never been a finer small boat built by Stabi or anyone else -which I why I still own one.

largely agree with that

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/motorboats/auction-585731611.htm
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 9:58pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Exactly.... what i was saying Bounty Hunter
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 10:12pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

its a beatiful thing...

back in harbour after 4 hours

easy tow and launch for quick winter afternoon jig round Aucks way
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Huggybear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 11:52pm
Huggybear View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

My boat 12 years old done way over 3000 hours long ago on 50 four yahmi and 10000s of nautical miles  -we usually do 80 to 90 on a usual day gamefishing. 

Kiwikraft?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moki Marko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 12:13am
Platinum
Platinum

so ...  the fish know what sort of boat you are in?LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 5:36pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Moki Marko Moki Marko wrote:

so ...  the fish know what sort of boat you are in?LOL
To shay, they possibly don't know Mr Moki Marko -although hull harmonics can have a bearing on how attractive fish may find a boat... but it does help to have a boat that allows you to get to where the fish are most days and land em without sinking.

Huggybear, kiwicraft are another great boat pretty much along similar lines as stabis, and also do (or at least used to do), rounded pontoons, as do tsunami and orca.  All are very functional safe boats, with good riding and handling attributes and best of all are predictable in a bigger seas -they stay afloat and are less inclined to broach.  They are built to perform not just look nice.

Also the build quality on these early stabis and quality control does seem very good, not to say other aren't either.  Good welds and built strong.  Although we added a 10mm rubbing strip to bow of mine which possibly makes it a bit stiffer and means I'm not so worried about scraping bottom coming in on ramps.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 6:18pm
pirate View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I,m trying to work out if that is a beer induced post or what. Bold claims indeed mr shanegLOL 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 7:57pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pirate ... a little bit of tequila and some red wine was consumed prior to composing the above, ...which for me is pretty normal on Wednesday nights. So not clear what you are suggesting?

But seriously, why do you think the British commandos used round pontoons on their inflables during WW2 for the Normandy landings; and why do you think the British Navy and United Nations to this day buy Stabicrafts for their fleet?  Its because pontoons are superior for their sea keeping abilities and round pontoons in particular are better at deflecting bullets.
Anybody who watched Campbell Live tonight and Matt Watson catch a mighty broadbill that attracted an even bigger mako on TV3, must surely realise Stabicrafts attract huge fish all the time.  Its clearly not in the stabi  logo (fish can't read even I know that), its because fish like pontoons.Emoticons  Big kingis in partcular love rubbing up against a nice round pontoon.

Page  123>