Gibbs Sculpture farm

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 6:52pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

how often do they open the property up to the public,those are amazing scultures,the red tunnel in the hill,does the wind whistle through and act as chime?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 7:38pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

how often do they open the property up to the public,those are amazing scultures,the red tunnel in the hill,does the wind whistle through and act as chime?

My understanding is that it is infrequently & when it happens it is not widely publicised keeping it as it should be ie catering for those that want to come & to make the effort to do so & at the same time benifiting various charities.

Seem to remember one of the sculptures created a chiming effect but unsure if it was the one you refer to which by the way is called "Dismemberment" by Anish Kapoor, is 85 mtrs long & according to the artist represents .... for whatever reason "flayed skin" ........ & how do I know that ? ..... I have the little booklet they give you here beside me ...... told you I was a pleb!
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote H2O_dependant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 8:35pm
H2O_dependant View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

need to book a long way in advance for one of the free visits (but they are monthy) - free visits are not for corportates which is good.

charity days are a bit different when they charge and donate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 8:47pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

free or charity day,bloody awesome will check link,thanks

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigdogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 8:47pm
bigdogg View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Worked building a new house there a while back. Heres a few more pics from around the farm. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 9:39pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

just clicked the link,applied for 24th october,hope its a go
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dirtyharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 7:43am
dirtyharry View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I worked on the farm for a while, the concrete footings of the steel fingers are HUGE - about 8m square and 4m deep, similar to a tower crane base - and a work of art in themselves.  Think of how much wind crosses the ridge they are on and you'll know why they are so big.  The cowboy village is off limits to the public even on viewing days, it's a private playground for family and guests and a place to store the heavy armour, play paintball, hold parties etc.  The big red trumpet is awesome, it has a canvas skin and I've heard it costs a fortune ot re skin.  Getting to and from work was always amusing with bison or yaks crossing the road and having to close the gates quickly so the emus don't do a runner.  Alan Gibbs really does love his toys, gadgets, art and animals.  Money well spent in my opinion and the farm does boost the local economy and provide a lot of work.
I waste most of my money on fishing tackle. The rest I invest in women and booze.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spear junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 6:53pm
spear junkie View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Heres his tesla coil. you can get inside. http://boingboing.net/2009/06/18/alan-gibbs-eclectic.html
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 12:03am
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by spear junkie spear junkie wrote:

Heres his tesla coil. you can get inside. http://boingboing.net/2009/06/18/alan-gibbs-eclectic.html

THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   for that link, spear junkie. I live for this stuff.   Hmm, wonder if it actually is made out of electrum ? must be surely.
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 2:27am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by BrianD BrianD wrote:

Originally posted by spear junkie spear junkie wrote:

THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   for that link, spear junkie. I live for this stuff.   Hmm, wonder if it actually is made out of electrum ? must be surely.

Apparently it is made from kryptonite Brian, as Smudge discovered on a recent "flying" visit dressed in his moderators' outfit ie a full flowing cape & wearing his red undies on the outside ... but had to be carried away on a stretcher when he collapsed as a result of being exposed to the aforementioned substance.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 4:18pm
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

just clicked the link,applied for 24th october,hope its a go

I applied this morning for the wife and I plus the 4 kids. Already got an email back saying its all go.   Cant wait.......
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 3:19pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

got my confirmation today for 24th october
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 10:18pm
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Gotta love no 8 of the terms of access pdf

8) No animals or domestic pets are allowed.....believe it or not this includes Dogs.
Page  <12