4kg considerations

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 12:54pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

oursies **** me but just for you I have acquired another which will turn up next week I am hoping, what is good mate is these reels dont break the bank, I hear tobze has been using them and hooked bloody marlin on the MX lol you have to be keen bloody awesome
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dirtyharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 9:01pm
dirtyharry View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Moocha Moocha wrote:

That sounds like a demon wee set up mate, snazzy wee reels to... I think the 'oursies' concept may have been revived LOLThumbs Up

Hey Mooch I'll let you know how the "oursie" goes at easter Wink  Will probably put it up against my Ducro 10 running 4kg with the new offshore rod Thumbs Up
I waste most of my money on fishing tackle. The rest I invest in women and booze.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 8:22am
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one mate- what stick did you get in the end ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dirtyharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 8:33pm
Gold
Gold

Offshore Elite Pro 4-6kg, 6'6" long, looks like a sweet wee rod.  No Doubt (hint hint) I will give it a workout on those far north snaps and kings this weekend and see how it performs Thumbs Up  Keep your phone handy for updates Beer

Khumfassa Out
I waste most of my money on fishing tackle. The rest I invest in women and booze.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 11:03am
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by reeldeal reeldeal wrote:

Originally posted by Moocha Moocha wrote:

I would have a look at Avet, They have 4 reels in that class, SXJ 350yds of 4kg, SX 450yds of 4kg, MXJ 500yds of 4kg, MXL 600yds 4kg, all with max drag of 14lbs, and all in single or 2 speed, all lever drag. Also there is a south florida drag arm for using lighter line weights, giving you finer adjustment through the drag curve, great for light line tournament fish. Its a less aggressive cam. 
SXJ is the size of the Trini 10

That sounds promising Cam, for chasing fish game (short of Marlin) on 4kg what are the thoughts on comfortably required line capacity ? like the sound of that South Florida drag cam, is it an audiable click adjustment ?

Hi Mark,
The drag is not audiable, the only audiable are is on the Avet raptor seires,

Hey Cam is there a compairable size in the Raptor series ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 11:45am
Titanium
Titanium

RAPTORS next year maybe 30lb braid and lots of fun
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Twocan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 11:47am
Twocan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Also just a quick note put 600m Black Magic IGFA 4kg onto my MXJ and there is heaps of room left on the spool.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 12:02pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What diameter is that Twocan ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Twocan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 12:04pm
Twocan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reeldeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 12:18pm
reeldeal View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Photos of the new setup?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Twocan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 12:38pm
Twocan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Photos of the new setup?

MXJ 5.8 MC on a CD Albagraph 4-6kg. It has florida drag arm fitted with reduces the drag range for light tackle but the standard one I have for it is also camo.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 12:41pm
Titanium
Titanium

nice mate, looks like we will have Avets for Africa at the comp Team Avet?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Twocan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 12:44pm
Twocan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

We sure will boss! Given the shine the Dirty harry took to your other Avets at Easter I think he will be trying to call oursies pretty quickly!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 1:20pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That is rather sharp, has it been used in anger yet Twocan Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Twocan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 1:25pm
Twocan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nah not yet was supposed to but had trip canne due to weather..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dirtyharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 7:29pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Twocan Twocan wrote:

We sure will boss! Given the shine the Dirty harry took to your other Avets at Easter I think he will be trying to call oursies pretty quickly!

Sam you have become a tackle ho' of the highest order and I will be calling oursies on ya avet if my little baitrunner doesn't show up Wink  Give me a text or PM so I can grab it off ya.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 11:48pm
dustin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I would like to know how much light line (6kg, 4kg and lighter) can be allowed to get into the water on fast fish (billfish, tuna etc) before water pressure starts becoming an issue.   I've never fished with these gear classes until very recently.  The drag of the line through the water is often mentioned as being a danger when fishing light/ultralight line but I'd like to know what kind of leeway you have before it becomes a real problem.     
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 10:05am
Titanium
Titanium

you would have to ask in the workup thread Dusty, this one is for the smaller fish we chase, but lets face it 1,2,3,4 kg line....maximum leaders and a very fast boat in reverse with a wire man who wont let go.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 11:54pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We got about 200m out on 2kg line 4 days ago fighting a sailfish and had him on for 35 mins. I use 30kg wire as it's easy to set the hook with and doesn't create a lot of drag when the fish is ripping through the water. We basically went to freespool until we worked out where the fish was and could start chasing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2013 at 10:11am
Peter Pakula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Lots of great info in this thread. Brings back a lot of old memories. I fished 4kg for marlin for quite a few years and my daily record on most marlin in a day was on 4kg. The boat got 23 of which I got 12 all on 4kg using rods and reels mentioned here. No they weren't big, all 15 to 25kg, but great fun. My main reel was a SL20SLH (high speed version) It was fine straight out of the box. I did blow 2 spools up over a few years.

To answer Dustins' question we set drags at 2kg on 4 and had a full spool of 4 out on Marlin and Yellowfin quite a few times over the years in double and triple hook ups. We used full spools of 4kg so that would have been over 1,000yards. We didn't back off the drags and didn't bust off. Fishing with Tim Simpson from Bluewater Mag we were in the position where I was down to the knot with my fish going east and he was down to the knot with his fish going west. Probably one of my best fishing memories as the stretch came out of the lines and tightened both fish arced and turned and we ended up getting tags in both.

Fishing 4kg is where just about all the fighting techniques I talk about re heavier line classes came from. It's a great line class and lots of fun. I wish it was still used in competition here but it's been out for quite a few years in my local area.

Once again, all the info in this thread is great, but then again light line guys are a special breed. :) good luck with it all, wish I was there!
Page  <12