dangers of fishing alone

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dangers of fishing alone
    Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 10:51am
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

From STAFF REPORTS
COAST NEWS ONLINE
Fisherman dies fighting tuna

A deep-sea fisherman whose 35-foot boat, Flat Calm, was based in Morehead City, N.C., will be buried at sea following his death Tuesday when he apparently was entangled and pulled overboard by his fishing line that held a giant tuna.

Capt. Bruce Bartlett of South Plainfield, N.J., apparently harpooned the fish, then got his left leg caught in the 200-foot line, Coast Guard officials told local news reporters. When the tuna swam away, Bartlett was pulled into the ocean off Morehead City and drowned.

Another fisherman discovered his empty boat cruising off the North Carolina coast Tuesday morning with its harpoon line in the water.

When he reeled in the line, he found a live bluefin tuna speared on the end -- and the captain's entangled body.

Bartlett was a commercial fisherman who traveled up and down the coast, Coast Guard officials said. He was alone in Flat Calm, when he died, fighting a fish that can weigh from 200 to 500 pounds.

A fund is being set up to help his family, including twin 14-year-old sons.

"They're not easy to handle by yourself," Ensign Andy Green-wood, with the Coast Guard's Fort Macon group, said in reports carried by several newspapers, including the News & Observer of Raleigh.

Greenwood said Bartlett's was one of several boats that left Morehead City early Tuesday. He was last seen at 8 a.m.

The fishing line was wrapped around Bartlett's ankle, said Spurge Krasowski, captain of the Moonshine. "The fish was still there."

Bartlett normally did not fish alone, said Brett Wilson, who had dinner with Bartlett on Tuesday night.

They are among fishermen on eight boats who travel together from Florida to Maine chasing bluefin and yellowfin tuna, Wilson said.

"He was a good friend of all of ours," Wilson said.

Richard Lucas, who also works on the Moonshine, said he grew up with Bartlett in New Jersey.

"He was a good guy, hard worker, good friend," Lucas said.

Bartlett had three sons, including the two who are teenagers, Lucas said.

Relatives will take Bartlett's cremated ashes from Beaufort, N.C., to Ocean City, Md., where 100 boats are expected to participate in the service at sea on Monday or Tuesday, depending on the weather.

"The other boats will follow in a parade, and his ashes will be scattered," said Dave Wiley, the husband of Bartlett's sister, Cheryl Wiley.

About 9:30 a.m., another fisherman found Bartlett's boat 13 miles offshore, its motor running. The man climbed aboard and pulled up about 150 feet of the line before finding Bartlett's body, Greenwood said. The catch was on the line, but it got away before Coast Guard officials arrived.

Anthony Ng of Winterville, a commercial fisherman who was also in the area Tuesday morning, said 6- and 7-foot swells were battering the boats.

He said many fishermen work alone, hauling in tuna on giant rods, then stabbing them with harpoons and chasing them until they tire. A single tuna can sell for thousands of dollars.

Ng told the Raleight newspaper that it is more profitable to work alone but, of course, more dangerous. "Those fish, they pull hard," he said. "All it takes is one slip."

The Coast Guard advises against fishing alone. But even having company can't always prevent accidents. In 1994, a man was pulled overboard during the Morehead City-based Big Rock Blue Marlin Tournament. He had wrapped line around his arm and was trying to pull a fish aboard a 52-foot boat. His body was never found.

Members of the struggling fishing industry have created a memorial fund to help Bartlett's sons, Travis and Max Bartlett, who live in Sandy Creek, N.Y. An anonymous donor kicked in $500 the first day, fishermen hung fliers in marinas, and friends plan to collect money at Saturday's barbecue and annual meeting of the Winter Bluefin Association in Morehead City, N.C., said Pete Manuel, the association's president.
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 10:56am
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hell of a way to go, thank god I use windons 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 12:00pm
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

only way to go, if fishing solo, windons that is
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RH580ikanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 12:47pm
RH580ikanui View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Very sad thing to have to read. best we can do is take as much from this unfortunate incident to make our solo missions safer. Wind ons are one of the best ways to minimize mishaps however I don't think they would have saved this bloke as it was the gaff rope that got him... 150 ft of it from what the report suggests. Thats a lot of rope on the floor.
Not the report we want to read about one of our own.. be safe out there.
"IKANUI" RH580 SUZUKI DF140
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 1:16pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This is from 10 years ago isn't it? 

A belt with at least two knives and a pair of cutters should be worn at all times even if you are fishing with other people
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 1:21pm
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

last time I was in the Ialands, a cousin was telling me about a a local went missing, found the boat tied to the fad.
don't know the whole story.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 1:38pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Same situation as you see on that show wicked tuna on discovery channel. Very interesting show that.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 2:04pm
skidder View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

When I go solo I have windons and a dive knife strapped to my upper leg for easy reach......still there are risks to fishing full stop.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bluewater5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 7:37pm
Bluewater5 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have been wearing a harness when fishing alone, especially at night, its long enough that I can get all around the cockpit, but not so long that I can go over board. Mind you, I would rather go that way then be full of rot and die a slow horrible death. Just my thoughts.
I own 501 lures, but i can only run 5 at a time. What to do??? Man I have some sleepless nights!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 8:18pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

x2 BW.  Harness/ or heavy safety rope( tieing you in) is must when fishing alone for big fish offshore
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 8:23pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Poor Buggar...and as Mozz said above... wear a knife and wire cutters on your belt, most important.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 4:26pm
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by mozz mozz wrote:

This is from 10 years ago isn't it? 

A belt with at least two knives and a pair of cutters should be worn at all times even if you are fishing with other people
Agreed, especially is solo!!