Light tackle Think Tank

Page  <1 2345>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 11:25am
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thanks steve, hey how much do you do on fly as in Marlin fishing, would be keen to hear about it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Panga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 11:30am
Panga View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by igfafly igfafly wrote:

Have not found that going light means fish are released to die - most of our stripeys on 8 are done within 45 minutes to an hour - and that includes a day of 5 off Port Stephens fishing with Peter when he got his Australian record of 110 or 111kg on 8 in a double hookup....none of the 5 took more than an hour. Releases swam away healthy and kicking strongly.
Steve

Yup 45-60 minutes seems to be our capture time on 10kg, we chase them going forward in a walk around sport fisher.
I ONLY FISH HANDMADE KOJAK CUSTOM RODS.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote igfafly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 12:51pm
igfafly View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

As much as I can mate - depends on crew but most guys I fish with even if conventional guys have caught enough marlin on the heavier gear and are into the excitement of switchbaiting and don't mind giving it a go on fly. A few of them can drive too so I get to toss string. Only when we get newbies onthe boat we go conventional to give them a taste but ideally I prefer to make up crews only of fly guys.

Bluewater fly is uncharted territory for most fly fishos - problem is most fly guys don't know anything about marlin, teasing them, chasing them etc. so if I choose only fly guys they have no clue and can't conceive of even getting such a fish on fly so it is an education process and I have to have conventional guys on board who do know about marlin - and then I have to also ensure they get the odd fish to keep them happy.

My big problem is my boat has been out for a bit with turbo's, flex plate and now a rebuild on one side - should be in the water this weekend finally - not that I missed much over here as the season has been a shocker - still a lot of summer left though so hope to be giving it a good nudge before we get into the tuna and makos again over winter.

Steve
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 1:06pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lance you can buy that boat and the mothership that goes with it for less than $1mil! DO IT

I have been in the same marina as the old french look for the last 4 years on and off. I even got to drive the G&S for 15 mins back in 09 when it last got launched. 

http://www.buyexploreryachts.com/yacht-expedition-perfect-life165-report.html
those photo's were obviously taken a loong time ago as it hasn't moved in years
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote igfafly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 1:15pm
igfafly View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Geez - I would go the G&S and be done with it !!! Sweet ride.

Steve
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 1:25pm
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have been looking at 4 kg mono on my curado 200 dhsv with carbon drag and a 4-7 kg offshore soft bait setup. Was looking for using on mahi mahi specifically for the toots small boats and then harbour snapper. Any thoughts on this as a setup?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 6:57pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Panga Panga wrote:

Originally posted by Moocha Moocha wrote:

How do you find that over head 2 Kg set up Panga ? 

Have you made any drag of modifications to the reel or is it just stock ?

Alwyn (Big Als rod and reel repairs) sets up all my reels, he made some modifications to the tyrnos drag system to maximise it for the required line class, the fully rollered rod is hard to beat for light tackle fishing, although you can get away with SiC guides(which I use on quite a few rods.
New line every season is important as 1-3kg line deteriorates quickly.

Did he sort it so that it doesn't sound like a coffee grinder (as they seem to sound from standard) ? Is the handle still the same length or after market  (with slightly longer throw).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 8:01pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hell Yeah ! ! That would be the go alright :) parked up at Tom Bowling ! !  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Panga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 10:38pm
Panga View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Im pretty sure the handle is a stocker, I dont remember either of my tyrnos 8s sounding too grindy, the avet sx is a great light tackle reel also, black majic bought out a light tackle drag kit for them a few years ago, they were not very water resistant, but they worked bloody well when they were kept in good order.

Essentially you can fish down to 4kg on just about any old reel and rod combo, its when you go lighter you need the trick gear.
I ONLY FISH HANDMADE KOJAK CUSTOM RODS.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 10:44pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by BlackBill BlackBill wrote:

]Hell Yeah ! ! That would be the go alright :) parked up at Tom Bowling ! !  

be proud of what ya got mate you have a nice boat that you can park up at Tom Bowling Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote igfafly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 1:05am
igfafly View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Lucky you guys can park anywhere at all - mine is parked at some marina half on it's side waiting for rebuild to be dropped in !

Don't know if the misses knows it but she is not going to see much of me after that - got some lost time to make up out on the shelf !

Steve
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 11:38am
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Here’s my set-up for lighter line classes -  I have a Duel Speedy 12 with 4 spare spools and use that for 2,3,4,6,8kg options. Takes a minute to change the spool and you're fishing another line class. That reel only gets used for light tackle and Swordfish Steve keeps in in tip-top condition. At 6.1 it has a great rate of retrieve if you're chasing a fish.

Spools go in some cut-down old beer coolers and then in a katmandu zipper thingy to protect them.

I use an Offshore custom for the lighter line classes 2,3,4 and a Saltiga for 6 and 8 as it’s got a bit more grunt. Used all sorts of rods over the years and think you can be a bit flexible on what you use. The reel, line and knots etc seem to be far more critical in determining sucess.

Use  milk bottle/s of water. 1L = 1kg to set drags & use a bit of masking tape to mark the drag setting so I accurately know what weight I have on the fish.

Momoi high vis line.

Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 6:49pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Really enjoyed this discussion, and I can set up my gear to tackle the big fish. Have the reels and rods......Thinking of my Avet SX on a Starlo soft bait rod, with 4 kg mono, which should do the trick.
Amy comment about the right boat and the best boat tactics when one hooks the biggie?
My concern is that my 30 footer is a little slow. but I might learn that someone has some slow boat tactics.....or should I tow a 12 footer for fishing?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 8:24pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Don18025 Don18025 wrote:

Really enjoyed this discussion, and I can set up my gear to tackle the big fish. Have the reels and rods......Thinking of my Avet SX on a Starlo soft bait rod, with 4 kg mono, which should do the trick.
Amy comment about the right boat and the best boat tactics when one hooks the biggie?
My concern is that my 30 footer is a little slow. but I might learn that someone has some slow boat tactics.....or should I tow a 12 footer for fishing?

what we have decided on doing mate was driving down on them like they do in trailer boats would certainly beat trying to back up, have set up the outrigger lanyards so that they can be unclipped in a second and lifted up out of the way, as the prop walk is to starboard we will fight any fish off that corner as for marlin will only chase down on gear less than 10 and stationary on the rest using the walk to keep me stern on
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muppetshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 8:38pm
muppetshow View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Don18025 Don18025 wrote:

never try to fish light tackl in a single screw boat in reverse unless the fish is gagging out or has made a serious mistake, boats are designed to go forwards, drive yr angles know the drag you have on the line and be patient, ifyou get a shot no matter how quick have ago it only hurts for awhile, any boat will do its gettin the bite and then takin your opportunity, in nz not many have the cash to spend on a specifically designed light tackle boat, accept the challenge of a non customised boat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 9:06am
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

GOT it BA and muppet.
Many thanks, will give it a go next season.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote igfafly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 11:19am
igfafly View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Given that you would be switching on the light stuff presumeably the hookup would be right in close anyway so you have a headstart - circles the way to go to get the hook to stay in as you can't put that much pressure on 4 or 6kg to stick J's in. Circles hold better.

Since you are teasing and the fish should be hot you can go heavier on the leaders and should do so - also make them as long as you can so when you get the fish close you have as much advantage as possible.

Liveys make this more tricky as you need to use lighter trace to get the bite sometimes.

Also - pitch smaller baits if you can, piper, slimeys or Jack Macks - hookup is better than with bigger stuff.

Steve
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 12:26pm
Titanium
Titanium

Another MX turned up today along with some south Californian drag cams, what a nice wee reel, wider than the other one and mighty pretty.
Thanks to the AVET Supplier I also have some other info on the Raptor series, it may just come down to running these with either 30 or 50lb braid on them and doing away with the every heavy Tiagra's, these raptors and no not the big game reels hold a sht load of line.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 12:33pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Oh now that looks the ticket- how much line did you get on them mate ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 8:14pm
Titanium
Titanium

lots mate am very happy with them if we get to the kings next week they will get a work out, you know I will be thinking of you at work mateBig smile
Page  <1 2345>