Light tackle Think Tank

Page  <1234 5>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 6:33pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Moocha Moocha wrote:

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

I have a beautifully rollered Berkerly Gorrilla 7 ft 8-15kg rod with a worked TLD20 2 with 700m of 10kg Maxima mono...hoping to have fun with anything big.Wink

Wont catch anything in the garage teddy Wink... I hope you are talking about a Marlin not some kinky BBW shenanigans.

put a team in next year Al and see how ya go

Mooch you are too muchLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 6:46pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Blue Asparagus Blue Asparagus wrote:

Originally posted by Moocha Moocha wrote:

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

I have a beautifully rollered Berkerly Gorrilla 7 ft 8-15kg rod with a worked TLD20 2 with 700m of 10kg Maxima mono...hoping to have fun with anything big.Wink

Wont catch anything in the garage teddy Wink... I hope you are talking about a Marlin not some kinky BBW shenanigans.

put a team in next year Al and see how ya go

Mooch you are too muchLOL

Interesting I must find out about this Teddy fella, but if he is connected in any manner to Moocha best I stay well away as I hear the Moocha is bad man.LOL

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (19) Likes(19)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 6:52pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

If you want a Light Tackle sub-forum just 'thank' this post and if we can get some indication of reasonable interest then I'll set one up........   I guess 'the Work-Up' is the most appropriate place but input welcomed.  Could have a hall of fame and the whole 9 yards. 

Thanks to Moocha for PM'ing me with the request.Thumbs Up
Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 6:56pm
Titanium
Titanium

Teddy no not connected at all to the mooch but teddy has a gangster mate we call him Teddy 2 toes

stole my thunder dam you smoochaWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 7:08pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

im thinking the accurate twin drags would be the way to go and kane at decoro can put different drag cam to suit use for light line. bx400. That would give very smoothdrag. use the bx400xn for jigging but would be keen on getting another with the lower drag cam for light line. would imagine overhead would be better as there is no line twist which would weaken the line
just a thought
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 7:24pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Daiwa SL20 is all you need for 3 and 4 kg,  nice and cheap super smooth drags, alittle extra Cals grease doesn't hurt.. Before that I used an ABU 6500C Sprint for about 20 years, it's now at the bottom of the parengarenga habrour if you want to go get it. (bloody kayak fishing!) Have fished 4 Kg for years on kings up to 12 kgs and water up to 50 metres deep. It's a blast alright. Have just this year thrown out the 4 kg and trying the 3kg for the first time haven't caught anything on it yet, it's amazing how much thinner than 4kg it is.

The first reel I used was a shakspeare 040 Spinning reel, nice felt drag washers, that's what I caught the 12 Kg King on. Reels don't have to be that sophisticated, you'd be spending money that doesn't need spending on flash twin drag reels etc. Sure they're nice, but they're more than you need.

HOWEVER, I have also heard of guys using things like TLD20s and TLD25s for 1 & 2 kg. Sounds crazy, but the argument is that the larger spool diamter produces mre troque to oversome any drag inertia. Makes sense from a physics perspective.

As for Rods the Abu is/was on a Sabre 195-6 grafast blank that I stuck on a fuji double handed grip/butt. The current rod is a a Calstar GFX7 with Alps guides. Don't like rollers for light tackle and haven't seen a need for them yet.

2 kg is easily doable on Kahawai, but skippies are an absolute 'mare.

www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 7:25pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Blue Asparagus Blue Asparagus wrote:

Teddy no not connected at all to the mooch but teddy has a gangster mate we call him Teddy 2 toes

stole my thunder dam you smoochaWink

Is that why Moocha has a foot fetish and a massage parlour in the front cabin BA?LOL
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 7:25pm
Titanium
Titanium

yeas mate I am currently using a Diawa SL20 with 4k mono also have the Bantam 50 which I will either go back to 6 or swap it out for 4 and use the SL20 for lighter got 3 of them so have a few options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 8:52pm
sappercatcha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

im currently useing a saimano calcutta 200b with 5kg braid on a dropshot im6 loveing it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 8:55pm
1more View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

6kg on one of the shimano charter specials, works well for me. plus a couple of 3kg on spinners, great for reef/beach. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 10:39pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

1 and 2 kg - spin outfit is a Okuma VS30A reel on a Offshore 1-2 kg rod
1kg - Overhead outfit is a Ryobi ultralight rod coupled with a Abu 5600 reel

2 and 3kg - Spin outfit is a Okuma VS40A reel (different spools) on a Okuma X Factor soft bait rod.
2kg - Overhead outfit is a Abu 5600 reel on a Composite Developments Baitcaster 2 rod.
3kg - Overhead outfit is a Shimano TR1000LD reel on a Offshore Rods 4-6 kg rod.

4 and 6kg - Spin outfit is a Okuma VS40A reel on a Berkley dropshot softbait rod.
4kg - Overhead outfit is a Shimano TR1000LD reel on a Offshore Rods 6-8 kg rod.
6kg - Overhead outfit is a Shimano TR2000LD reel on a Offshore Rods 8-10 kg rod.

8kg - Spin outfit is a Shimano 4500B baitrunner on a Offshore Rods 8-10 kg spin rod.
8kg - Overhead outfit is a Shimano TLD15 reel on a Offshore Rods 10-15 kg  rod.

A bit of good advice for guys who are wanting to get into light tackle fishing is rather than buying new rods and reels, just use your soft baiting rods and reels and get spare spools for the reels and use those for your mono.

My 3 soft baiting outfits are Okuma VS40A reels on soft baiting rods of varying strength and they make great light tackle mono outfits. I can fish 2 to 6 kg mono on them. In total I have 9 spols for these 3 reels, 3 with light braid, one with heavier braid for soft baiting around the bricks and the other 5 have mono of varying weights from 2 - 6 kg.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 11:12pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Not really a light tackle expert but I've done lots of kahawai fishing on one and two kg and a lot of snapper on 4kg which isn't really a big test unless its big snaps and small kings at least on 6kg but a couple of points spring to mind:

An overhead has a tendency to swallow line if it has big clearance between the spool and the frame. Especially if you're a master bird nester like myself. Probably not a big issue on modern gear but my otherwise faultless Penn Mag 525 tends to do so. Well it is a Penn Big smile

Catching even a 2kg ky on 1kg meant two fish absolute max (talking mono of course) and the top 20m of line would be buggered after the old in and out through the guides. I'm guessing the choice of guides would be all important for ultralight.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 8:25am
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Grunta Grunta wrote:

If you want a Light Tackle sub-forum just 'thank' this post and if we can get some indication of reasonable interest then I'll set one up........   I guess 'the Work-Up' is the most appropriate place but input welcomed.  Could have a hall of fame and the whole 9 yards. 

Thanks to Moocha for PM'ing me with the request.Thumbs Up

Cheers Grunta, would be a great place to share idea's, knowledge and experiences.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 1:21pm
sappercatcha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

1 and 2 kg - spin outfit is a Okuma VS30A reel on a Offshore 1-2 kg rod
1kg - Overhead outfit is a Ryobi ultralight rod coupled with a Abu 5600 reel

2 and 3kg - Spin outfit is a Okuma VS40A reel (different spools) on a Okuma X Factor soft bait rod.
2kg - Overhead outfit is a Abu 5600 reel on a Composite Developments Baitcaster 2 rod.
3kg - Overhead outfit is a Shimano TR1000LD reel on a Offshore Rods 4-6 kg rod.

4 and 6kg - Spin outfit is a Okuma VS40A reel on a Berkley dropshot softbait rod.
4kg - Overhead outfit is a Shimano TR1000LD reel on a Offshore Rods 6-8 kg rod.
6kg - Overhead outfit is a Shimano TR2000LD reel on a Offshore Rods 8-10 kg rod.

8kg - Spin outfit is a Shimano 4500B baitrunner on a Offshore Rods 8-10 kg spin rod.
8kg - Overhead outfit is a Shimano TLD15 reel on a Offshore Rods 10-15 kg  rod.

A bit of good advice for guys who are wanting to get into light tackle fishing is rather than buying new rods and reels, just use your soft baiting rods and reels and get spare spools for the reels and use those for your mono.

My 3 soft baiting outfits are Okuma VS40A reels on soft baiting rods of varying strength and they make great light tackle mono outfits. I can fish 2 to 6 kg mono on them. In total I have 9 spols for these 3 reels, 3 with light braid, one with heavier braid for soft baiting around the bricks and the other 5 have mono of varying weights from 2 - 6 kg.

and i thought i had to Meany rodsLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 2:04pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Marligator.. very smart way to do it if you can get spools cheaply. most of your rods tend to be a lil higher than ths bs of the line. is this due to say running 1/2 bs drag as opposed to 1/3 bs drag. so running 3kg line the same as most using 4kg line?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 3:08pm
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Wow great thread , I love light tackle fishing , where I am there are a number of fish for light tackle , one silly thing I do is chase GTs on light tackle , well light for GTs , Saragosa 8000, 20 kg rod [ CTS ]  , 50 lb braid yea I here you, not light , but believe me it is on GTs , best to date 25 kg , Sams small poppers , another great fish is Queenfish , 6 kg braid 6 to 10 kg rod Saragosa 4000 , in the harbour small GTs ,  4 kg braid , Saragosa , 3 to 4 kg rod  , Deep water , Nannygai ,Shimano Sedona 1000 , 4 kg braid , 4 to 6kg rod [ CTS ] , and the list goe's on .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 4:13pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some good oil already appearing, we just need a few more punters to thank Gruntas post above as an indication of interest to start a sub forum on this topic Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 4:23pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

few more still required chaps.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote twistermc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 4:40pm
twistermc View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I love being run around the rocks by kawhai on my 1kg outfit while waiting for the kings to show!
I think the commotion is likely to attract the bigger predators too!
It is great how bait fish can put up good fight when given a sporting chance!
Fishing is like sex, the less you get, the more you lie.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dirtyharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 5:51pm
dirtyharry View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

My 4kg outfit is a an overhead, ducro 10 which casts nicely and is set up mainly for inchicu fishing with braid.  Have done snapper to line weight on it so far and can't wait to tackle a legal kingi or a skippy, very nice drag and plenty of capacity for such a small reel.  The rod is a T-curve revolution, not too sure about this longterm so any suggestions are appreciated.

DON'T LAUGH, my 3kg setup is a FX2500 and a Eclipse, $60 from kmart, I've got two of these reels after breaking one rod, one with 3kg stren braid and one with 3kg maxima mono.  I've caught Snapper to 8lbs and an 8lb porae on it and a few rats too. I believe Moocha got a bit moist on a rat kingi with it during the Nats, ****e drags just take more finesse Wink  I said DON'T LAUGH, I will be upgrading as funds allow and advice flows in from this thread.

And if Mooch gives foot rubs in the front cabin then where was mine?
I waste most of my money on fishing tackle. The rest I invest in women and booze.
Page  <1234 5>