Light tackle Think Tank

Page  123 5>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Light tackle Think Tank
    Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 10:16pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I am hoping we get a reasonable reply to this thread as we dont have a light tackle section.

during the nationals we got into a bit of light tackle for what we were doing, 15k for marlin instead of 37k 3k for kings instead of 10 or 15, snaps on 4k instead of braid or 10k mono what a blast.

so what are guys using for light tackle fishing, reels, rods etc, would be keen to hear from those chasing good fish on skinny line I dont want to get into a brand thing just keen to hear the good oil and the facts.

Edit- I renamed the thread as it seems you had already started the think tank (credit where its due) and binned the one I started - Moocha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stormbringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 10:26pm
Stormbringer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Shocked looks like i'm going to need to purchase some silly string and rods top match LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 10:27pm
Titanium
Titanium

mate was funny stuff, lots of whizzzzzz bang giggle.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 11:30pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

some people BA just like to scull drag, but i enjoy the lighter stuff...
not always do you hook up the intended target though, like when fish for snaps you end up with a King/shark/ray,
that is when the fun really starts, skill and tackle performance come into play.
the other day i was to lazy to re-rig another set-up and used my bait rod to catch a snapper when it took off, have know idea what it was as it didnt know how to slow down, after a couple of hundred yards i decided to stop the fight and broke it off, 4kg braid was a joke against such a beast, plus i didnt have the time to pi$$ around with it....
but other times 6kg is quite enough to stop most sharks/rays/kingfish i tend to encounter...
i dont like to loose good fish and leave them with tackle attached so tend to stay with 6kg....

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 12:10am
Jet_ski_fisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was going to go 4lb on mako's. but decided best not do it, cause they take years to bring in on noodle string...and a record would be pointless. but noodle string's sure are fun..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 10:04am
Titanium
Titanium

yes we were going to do the same on 3 as there were heaps about and although for the nats you have to kill them they were perfect smoker size.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 10:11am
Titanium
Titanium

I am going to use a Bantam 50 it has had some work done to it and very smooth and will couple this with a daiwa rod think it a black widow? nice and soft in the tip with grunt below as the line is so thin I will use either a yellow or red so it can be seen easier.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 10:28am
Jet_ski_fisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

BA you have the gear to run em down and keep up with the sodding thing's... I found the more line in the water the less drag you have to have on..6lb line now that would be awesome fun. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hayden N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 11:11am
Hayden N View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I fish pretty much exclusively with light tackle, using a 1-3kg xtralite rod with light braid and 6lb leader. Haven't hooked into anything huge yet mainly just Trout and Kahawai.

My mate fishes with 6lb mono but uses a 10kg broomstick style boat rod. I can never really understand why.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 2:00pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

just loaded 2 reels with 4lb for targeting mahimahi. I think we are in for a lot of lost fish with the fish jumping around a lot but time will tell
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 2:06pm
sappercatcha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

most of my fishing is done with under 6kg gear
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 2:58pm
Titanium
Titanium

yes so the question is what gear is being used, is spinning better or free spool etc I have done a heap of it over the years but had problems with 1 and 2 k line times have changed as has the gear so keen to hear what is being used out there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stormbringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 3:08pm
Stormbringer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

so shall I build us a 5kg stand up rod ? lol

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 3:10pm
Titanium
Titanium

might be too heavy mateShocked
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Merci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 3:30pm
Merci View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

When it comes to silly string you cant go past Offshore Rods, I have a 1-2kg one and a 3-4kg one both are amazing! The 3-4kg has a TLD5 spoolled with 3kg moimoi on it and the 1-2kg rod is matched up with a small Penn Slammer and 1kg.

Cathing skippies on 1kg is where its at and you dont have to wait long between fish

LOVE IT!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 3:35pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good one mate, I had planned to ask for a smiliar thread to be put in the Work up forum as I have a similar thought for the Nats next year Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 6:08pm
Titanium
Titanium

yes mate it would be interesting for like minded sorts to share their ideas.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 6:15pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have a beautifully rollered Berkerly Gorrilla 7 ft 8-15kg rod with a worked TLD20 2 with 700m of 10kg Maxima mono...hoping to have fun with anything big.Wink
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 6:19pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

I have a beautifully rollered Berkerly Gorrilla 7 ft 8-15kg rod with a worked TLD20 2 with 700m of 10kg Maxima mono...hoping to have fun with anything big.Wink

Wont catch anything in the garage teddy Wink... I hope you are talking about a Marlin not some kinky BBW shenanigans.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Saltiga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 6:23pm
Saltiga View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Do lots of light tackle for kings, fishing 4 and 6kg, i fish overhead reels, on saltist 4-6kg rods, i fish moimoi as i like having a bit more abrasion. For kings where i fish i know the area which is key, you need to know the terrain. I  drag them out as they usually follow when not giving them death. get them on the sand and wear them out. 

i dont like rods that bend to much for light tackle, the tip has to have some give (stock absorber affect)  but still have a solid middle section.  well thats what i like and have caught plenty over 20kegs on silly stuff. 
Page  123 5>