KING FISH

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scullapint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: KING FISH
    Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 1:06am
scullapint View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

All i want is a accurate  answer!
OK...Scenario is schools of kings ranging from rats to ..mm..legal say 12 kg....well over a meter...
stiing behind/ under a channel marker  and WILL chase anything thrown at them...but not bite...
I DID mange to cast a livey under the FAD and Jjust  hook a very small specimen, and upon retrieval watched his bigger counterparts follow him to the boat!!
We have jigs, sticks, poppers dead bait , live bait..they chase but DONT bite!!

WHY??? AND HOW??

screaming wind and tide togeather 10-12 meter deep..Late avo but nowhere close to change of light..

Ideas?

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Photofisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 10:29am
Photofisha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Im betting everybody here has experienced this..maybe its a time of day thing or tide..and the bigger specimens always seem more cautious.

Only thing ive tried that worked to a degree is say using live or very fresh piper and tossing cubes of the same to try get them into a bit of feeding frenzy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZ Critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 1:19pm
NZ Critter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Had the same thing at Flat Rock on Friday arvo,
hooked 2 rats butpacks of big Kings were following our stickBaits & Poppers t the boat
tried different sizes/colours/styles/retrievesConfusedThats Kings for you

I reckon it would have fired up in the evening buy we had to be home by 6:30

Hey cant win every time
"AOTEALURES" Hand Crafted In NZ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Eastender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 1:28pm
Eastender View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Have the very same thing at my fav local marker. Some days sheer maddness, other days they're just looking, and then some days no ones home. Doesn't appear to be much rhyme or reason, maybe moon phase? Dunno if there is a way to fire them up if they are not on the bite, maybe as suggested the use of a livie could make a difference, but I'm a bit lazy to go that far.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SufixRockMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 9:59pm
SufixRockMan View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

in my experience a live piper is very very rarely turned down
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scullapint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2013 at 8:47pm
scullapint View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by NoSchist NoSchist wrote:

in my experience a live piper is very very rarely turned down

That is my only other solution

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 10:51am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very skinny poppers made out of 1/2" dowel about 6" long with 1 45 degree face imitating piper often turns them on. I use 1mm copper wire wrapped round a nail (for the eyelet) and the ends twisted round each other for a length of 1.5". 1/8"  holes drilled 2" deep into each end and the 2 eyelets araldited in. Sometimes I make the tail eyelet larger and add a small ball sinker to aid casting. Dip the whole thing in white gloss paint and drip dry. Then you can add a small treble hook or larger single. A small SP or fly on the single helps too. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 1:14pm
otter View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

go down a few sizes in your leader....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bush billy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 1:15pm
bush billy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by otter otter wrote:

Thumbs Up 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 3:53pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you can see them throw a pillie at them...if they come for a look and sniff and turn away break one in half and throw that it it eats it throw a few more to get them wound up and competitive and possibly feeding...

If none will eat, try driving around the marker fairly fast to kick up some white water that can wake them up and get them ramped as well.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 4:14pm
The cook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by bush billy bush billy wrote:

Originally posted by otter otter wrote:

Thumbs Up 
can make a massive difference, fished this weekend, I ran 80lb leader, my mate 100lb, I got 6 hits to his zilch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote want2fishmore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 8:49pm
want2fishmore View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anyone tried a waxwing, I find them to be one of the best available when they go off the bite.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote segador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 9:02pm
segador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

what stickbaits you using chuck a small carpenter at them they cant resist weve watched guys casting cheap stickbaits and poppers at shag rock buoy in the gulf and getting nothing we chuck a carpenter in the mix hook up every cast 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 8:39pm
Catcha View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

what about if they have been fished  already that day?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Plastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 2:10pm
Mr Plastic View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Leader for sure. Love small cubes if anchored. You gota see if they are feeding.. If they wont touch anything the conditions are just not on. Thats kingfish!!. Ive seen the sounder packed and schools of them just under the boat and they wont touch anything!. Jigs livies cut baits piper.. Who knows, maybe they pigd out early in the morn..
Synit Prototype bender
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwi phill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 11:27am
kiwi phill View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just try only max 60 lbs fluorocarbon that's all I have gone up to.....
Phill  Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BeachedAsBro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 11:55am
BeachedAsBro View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I find if you haven't hooked up in the first half a dozen casts (of any offering) then you may as well move on and come back later. They will keep chasing for hours but you won't get the strikes.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish caught will we realise we can't eat money.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TIN RIB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 3:42pm
TIN RIB View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

With the markers try winding faster , give em less chance to have a good look at it  Ouch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 9:22pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We had kings in our burley trail last week eating the pilchard cubes we were throwing down, they ate everything apart from the cubes with a hook in, no matter how we disguised it, even with 20lb mono. Did get one hit but the hook pulled 10 seconds later. We also tried alive and dead mackerel, whole & cubed pilchards, whole piper, squid, jigs & lures but nothing interested them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote segador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 10:19pm
segador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

carpenter stickbaits they dont get followed they get smashed

Page  12>