Saltfly Guides?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saltfly Guides?
    Posted: 18 Mar 2005 at 2:31pm
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Does anyone know if there is such a "thing" in NZ?.....

example....someone that might spend half a day tutoring in gear and technique, then say half a day targeting something fishey?

I would be interested and I am sure there would be a few others here as well.....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2005 at 5:01pm
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

Kezz - someone suggested John Giacon, who has an article in the latest C2C.

Also - I saw a swf seminar advertised recently - world expert and all that. Was it one of strawberry's?

And of course one of our own members, Craig Worthington, would have to be one of, it not the most, knowledgeable swoffer in the country. Maybe we should ask if we can do a BOI SWF weekend in mid winter?

What say ye?

Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2005 at 5:45pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

good idea bender this would be one of the best fishing levelers there are i reacon. am always open to new ideas and a swf weekend mmmmm sounds gr8
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2005 at 5:59pm
Xkon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

i prefur to use hand granades to flys they work better.

i might give the freshy a wack on some yackkers and see how nz kahawai handle me on a freshy im pretty good at wacking out a sinking and floatys. jd's have a good fight on light tackle wonder what else one can get on swf's? on shore thoe. i aint got no booze boat to use so ahh well have legs will walk.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2005 at 6:00pm
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'd be in for that, something I have never tried and I would love to give it a go under the guidance of someone who knows what they are doing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jo. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2005 at 6:59pm
Jo. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I am in first I need to replace my 9 wt, there is no way in hell I am going swoffing with a 5-6wt 4pc fast action noodle. Clark could you give me a price for 9-10wt medium action rod and reel?
Capitalisation is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse.." and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse.."People First New Zealand
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2005 at 10:18pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Hmmm

Bender does fly fishing.

Sounds very dangerous.

Has OSH been notified...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2005 at 10:36pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

I'm thinking there might be a market for wrap around sunny's & hard hats.

SAS type vests could be worth a go too

Pioneer?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Renegade Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2005 at 5:07pm
Renegade Fisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'll put my name on the list too - after 20 years of freshwater a change would be great! I hear Richard Dobbinson ( Umpqua Rep. ) is very handy with the long wand in the briny and use to offer fly casting lessons. So why not a lesson out on the harbour ? He can be contacted through Just Fishin'.

R.F.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2005 at 3:40pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Boy, you guys really missed out on the information you wanted by missing the ASuckland Peter Morse Clinics.. he covered it all. Absolutley marvellous. We are up in Russell fishing with Vraig at the moment and will be in Hamilton for another seminar on Saturday and Hawkes Bay on Sunday. If anyone is interested in SWF... don't miss it... Absolutely top value for money and a great starter for saltwater fly novice or expert alike.

We will be back home in Taupo on Wednesday and I will get into the forum more fully then. In the meantime, if you want to grab one of the spots left on the clinic.. ring me 021 0405444 or e-mail me.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2005 at 3:40pm
Titanium
Titanium

Mark Draper in Opotiki is also a saltwater guide of great reputation but is semi-retired from it these days. Make a call though, he may squeeze someone in.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2005 at 12:31am
Titanium
Titanium

Quote: Originally posted by Jo. on 18 March 2005
I am in first I need to replace my 9 wt, there is no way in hell I am going swoffing with a 5-6wt 4pc fast action noodle. Clark could you give me a price for 9-10wt medium action rod and reel?

Your five weight would be perfect for smaller species up to kahawai and small snapper, you can use an entire range of rods, depending on the species from 4 weights (Or smaller) to 14 weights for the big boys.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2005 at 12:34am
Titanium
Titanium

Quote: Originally posted by Renegade Fisher on 19 March 2005

I'll put my name on the list too - after 20 years of freshwater a change would be great! I hear Richard Dobbinson ( Umpqua Rep. ) is very handy with the long wand in the briny and use to offer fly casting lessons. So why not a lesson out on the harbour ? He can be contacted through Just Fishin'.

R.F.

Richard would be more than happy to help anyone get started and give them a run through of the basics to get them going...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2005 at 1:30am
Titanium
Titanium

Quote: Originally posted by Jo. on 18 March 2005

I can't give you a direct price as the compnay I am involved with are strictly wholesalers. If you e-mail me directly I would be happy to steer you to a local retail outlet who can put you on the right track.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Vig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2005 at 9:09pm
Vig View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Dang I was going quiet on the fishing for a bit, and then you fellas get me all excited again. I have an old 8/9 wgt that could see a bit of swofaction I think...but dont want to bugger up the old system 2.....

hmmm intermediate sink is the go huh?, or shooting head?

Cicada you there bud?

Vig

Export Gold Match Fishing League SkySport1 9:30 Tuesdays
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jo. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2005 at 9:29pm
Jo. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

he comes and goes
Capitalisation is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse.." and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse.."People First New Zealand
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2005 at 10:11am
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Vig,  your system two will stand up to most saltwalter species that you'd handle on an 8-9 weight. I have a mate who lands small kingies on them. The main thing is maintanence, just make sure you give it a good clean after each excusrion.

We all talk about big kingies and stuff but there is a host of species that are absiolutly perfect for the light rods. Fishing with Morsie over th elast few weeks has seen us with the big rods always set up for when the "brawlers" arrive but the majority of fishing was with seven weights.

Morsie has headed back (Lamenting the Waratahs result) to the West Island but the information he has left us with here has been a real eye opener to many. one of his main points was... "You can fish saltwater right now with the gear youve got... no need for new stuff... fish first and you'll get a feel for what you need"...

I am still in the Mainland for a fewe days and will do a comprehensive report on the clinics when I return to taupo. Will be on here sporadically until then...