Coro Dives

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote steepNdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coro Dives
    Posted: 30 Nov 2012 at 9:19am
steepNdeep View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'll be on the Coro for the next month & I'm keen to get out.  Would you recommend the Merc's, GBI's or White Island & which charter?  I was thinkin' GBI with Redquarters...

I'm based out of ~Whiti & will be shore/kayak diving whenever I can.  My first dive was a swim around Rabbit Island to get the rust off.  If you squint, you can see my float off the south bay's west point.  Awesome structure & day out there!

I'd also be stoked to fill an empty spot on a boat & pay for gas...  I'm a Canuck that's been spearin' for ~15 years & I'm selective in what I take.  I'd be happy to return the favour if you ever make across the pond... http://www.flickr.com/photos/34105972@N07/sets/72157612648978796/

Email: steep1deep"at"gmail.com or text my cell: 021-0832-7180

Here's a pic of your beaut' country on the Coro:

Protecting Our Fishing Rights - Together
www.Outdoor-Alliance.org
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2012 at 10:39am
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I guess Barrier is the most productive, White fewer but bigger fish (kings, packhorse crays, big goldies, mega-trevs) and Mercs very accessible in just about any weather without being too far behind Barrier. Well, there is a fair bit of barren ground at the Mercs but plenty of good spots too. Cuvier is small but has some great terrain.

I'll be in Kuaotunu with heaps of boat space from the 21st onwards, but I don't expect you'll be short of rides :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote steepNdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2012 at 2:56pm
Silver
Silver

Thanks Mullins.  That makes sense about the Merc's.  I drove by Kuaotunu on the way to Opito - that area is awesome.  Please let me know if you want another diver.  I'm always stoked to get out (& I just found a little spa to bribe the wifey with... ; )

www.Outdoor-Alliance.org
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote steepNdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 6:42pm
Silver
Silver

After much searchin', I finally found a bike for the month.  She's a beaut (no offers please LOL )  On the way back from spearin' yest' I wore my wetsuit & gear, so I'd have room in the pack for the fish... mmm - wetsuit soup.

Made it out with some local boys on Sat. Plan was to head to ~Aldermans, but it blew ~40 kts the day before on the outer islands, so didn't think it would be worth it & stayed closer. Passed some work-ups, but the first few spots we checked the water was brown-green & shotty vis.   Wind was SW ~15 kts & it was clearer on the back side with 6 - 8 m.  Blue skies & a beauty day to be out!

Hunted hard for ~4 hours & found a few decent fish - all firsts for me & my first cray - a buck.  Found big schools of kalawai, but no kingies.  Snoopin' along for snapper, I peeked around this big weedy boulder & found these big lips lookin' at me... promptly rolled him.  I gutted him in the water for burley & a pannie snap showed up, which died too.  Great day on the water with some good guys!

www.Outdoor-Alliance.org
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bluefox_13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 8:37am
bluefox_13 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

monster Moki there... 
Yes its cold... no I dont care that you feel the cold easily... no we can't get out....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote steepNdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2012 at 10:24pm
Silver
Silver

The sea has been kind to us & we've had some good feeds...

www.Outdoor-Alliance.org
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote steepNdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2012 at 11:14pm
Silver
Silver

I headed north for a dive with a great guy & spearo.  The weather was perfect as we started at his favourite kingy spot, where the current was rippin' but the vis was hazy & green.  It was pretty quiet & the bait was deep.  After workin' the spot for an hour, I'd only seen one small kingie.

Finally, on a dive I was at 60' & below the bait, just lookin' at my watch & about to head up, when a decent kingie appeared just off the bottom in front of me.  I squeezed one off & luckily he just rolled over, as I was feelin' light headed on the way up.  I was stoked to get my first kingie on the boat!

He shot one also & we decided to head in to do a little snoopin'.  He put me on 2 of his favourite points, but I didn't see a single snapper.  He made me feel a little better, when he told me that last week he didn't see any either, but that was short lived - when I opened the cooler this 27 lb monster was stickin' out... 

His son got some crays, shot some trevally & pinks.  We stopped to get a feed of scallops & were stopped by the fish cops, who were decent guys.  We ended the day on his deck & some trevally sashimi to go with the beer.  They were awesome hosts & it was cool to see father & son so stoked  about diving.  Another awesome weekend in this great land...

www.Outdoor-Alliance.org
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 8:50am
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good to see you are making the most of your time here!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keeweebee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 9:09am
Keeweebee View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good stuff S&D! It must be awesome to dive new places and shoot, hunt, and gather new species, well done and keep it coming!Smile

Nice suit too!
"I need the sea because it teaches me"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote steepNdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2012 at 9:23pm
Silver
Silver

Thanks boys.  Got out for a shorey in Hahei today.  Vis was a hazy 5-6m, but managed my first kingie on a swim & a decent cray.  Didn't want to leave a bag on shore so I wore & carried everything.  I was laughin' at my (dork) self riding through town - at least I had a fish.  LOL

www.Outdoor-Alliance.org
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2012 at 9:27pm
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

What a bawse!
Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keeweebee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2012 at 9:44pm
Keeweebee View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

bawse for sure!!
"I need the sea because it teaches me"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SharkBite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2012 at 10:57am
SharkBite View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Not sure a mask and snorkel qualifies as a safety helmet. So maybe pull the hood up and put mask in position before riding off?
"There goes another moocher"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mjl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2012 at 11:21am
mjl View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Badass, although I reckon you should have strapped the kngie across the handlebars
"It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. " Hunter S. Thompson
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote steepNdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2012 at 10:43am
Silver
Silver

Haha, glad I could be of entertainment value... a classic IDGAF moment.  At home I ride XR650R dirtbike & here... LOL

Another sh tty day in NZ...  Made it out again w/ the Auck. crew.  Plan was to hit Castle & then into shore for some snoopin.  No one had been there before so we towed around on lines behind the boat until we found the bait.  First kingie down within a minute of finding the bait, but it took me an hour of sorting throught the kahawai until I found one lurking in the school.  Shot my first pinks there too.  A ~2.5m mako showed up with 2 boys in the water & the 'shark magnet' came flyin' onto the boat. lol  I never saw it, but want to get one on film before I leave...

The swell was too big for the shore, so we decided to head to Aldies - bonus!  Definitely a cool lookin' spot with those volcanic spires...  Vis was up to ~8m offshore & the eastern pinnacle we hit was on.  The 2 other boys shot their kingies there.  The biggest of the day went 21 kg. 

I had one wicked dive when 5 kings showed up hunting on the edge of the bait at ~30'.  I lined up on a tank of a kingie from above, but decided to let him swim another day, as I already had one in the boat.  I figured my Gopro footage was 'nuf, but I was choked when I checked it to find it didn't record.  F'n new earplugs didn't let me hear the beep (AGAIN Angry).  Ah well, at least it's big shoulders 2 m from my spear tip are burned in my memory...

www.Outdoor-Alliance.org
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote steepNdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 9:24am
Silver
Silver

Went for a dive with Offsurfing on Sunday.  We had limited time, (due to my bike & wife pressure) so we hit one of his local cray spots in his boat.  It was full of bugs, but I only manged to pull about 7 shorts & I missed one decent one.  He managed to grab one beauty - congrats Ru & thanks for the dive!

I used what I learned from watchin Ru & headed out a few days later to one of my spots & pulled a few decent ones for Christmas dinner... thx Clap

Here is Ru & his big bug:

www.Outdoor-Alliance.org
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote steepNdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 2:36pm
Silver
Silver

I'm stuck in the mountains right now & starting to think about the next leg of my journey... I see there's a few gun builders around here that might appreciate this..

I don't have any woodworking skills at all, so last winter I took my friend (who is custom gun buider) up on an offer to build me a bluewater speargun. We settled on a basic design (similar spec's to a Wong Ono) I ordered the parts & he found a beautiful padauk wood blank that his daughter thought was a canoe : D

He aknost did too nice a job on the finish & I don't want to scratch it - could be a 'safe queen' just mounted on the wall.  Is it the perfect gun for JD's?.. ;)

Here's the trip that the gun was orig. made for & my 2 mates with their YF's:

www.Outdoor-Alliance.org
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote baffled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 2:58pm
baffled View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great pics, looks like you are having an awesome trip!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote steepNdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 10:31pm
Silver
Silver

Thanks Baffled.  On NY eve, I jumped in for a shorey with the sea lions on the S. Island.  Paua were a bit bigger than up N., so I grabbed a few to try.

Some old bushmen camped there showed me their secret tenderizing method - with some cheese cloth & a rusty hammer on a rock... breaded & fried 'em up. Yum!
South Island has some pretty cool spots... reminds me of home.

www.Outdoor-Alliance.org
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote steepNdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 4:42pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by fd3s fd3s wrote:

oh dam people and there long holiday breaks!  i will be up that way sat if you are still there.

I busted my hump, livin' the dream of self employment for the last 5 years... up to 16 hrs/day, 6 days a week.  It was insanity & divorce if I didn't take a break... (although I'd get to dive more with the 2nd option... LOL )

Southern hospitality was great with several offers to dive, but we were just cruisin' through with olnly 1 day to dive so did it solo.  Hit this spot N. of Kaik & found a couple bugs by braile in 1m vis after a big storm came through.    The sea was like glass compared to the Tas side...

Got in a few more shore dives up north with Ru & a newb Auck. diver staying at the Park we were camped at.  Went for a solo dive on a stormy day with some big swell.  Current pushed me hard around the point & I was feelin' too bagged to make the swim back - even the bait was hunkered down.  Getting pounded on the point & luckily I rolled the only shooter fish that I saw all day - a rat kingie.  I considered climbing up the cliffs & makin' the big hike back, but luckily the tide was still low enough to swim through the long cave under the mountain...  Here's my hardest earned fish of the trip.

I'm writing this from the evil land of Oz, overlookin' a surf break a few hrs. S. of Sydney.  It hit a record high of 46 here yesterday.  Hope to get my 1st dive in today & try out my new gun eventually...

Coro was my fav' spot.  Thanks for your hospitality & sharin' your great land boys (you know who you are)!!  If anyone makes it over to the Great White North, look me up & I'd be happy to show you around...  Cheers.

www.Outdoor-Alliance.org
Page  12>