yamaha or seadoo??

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote robdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: yamaha or seadoo??
    Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 6:42pm
robdunk View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So which is the best jetski?
seadoo with the closed loop cooling system or the Yamaha?
I see the king of NZ jetskifishing is trading in his yamaha for a seadoo??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jetskifishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 7:21pm
jetskifishing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Rob, not sure if you are referring to me, I sell my Yamahas regularly to upgrade and quite amused with your post.
I am building another Yamaha if my personal one sells and in time I may consider a Sea-Doo as a second option
Jetskifishing Monster Snapper Hunt, 15th-17th October 2021
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote robdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 7:29pm
robdunk View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

which is the better machine though? with the yamaha not having a closed loop cooling system what are the servicing cost like for the yamaha?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote U357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 7:37pm
U357 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Outboard motors are not closed loop and they are just fine for many years, there was some discussion on an overseas forum on closed loop models over heating when used for slow trolling, the system requires speed to get the water through, this may well of changed with later models, would pay to ask dealer
404. That’s an error.
That’s all we know.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bobby r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2012 at 8:33pm
bobby r View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Dealers will say whatever it takes to make a sale, from my experiences and i had four jet skis in the last for years.Who you really need to talk to is people that use them and are unbiased! For me Yamaha all the way for all the right reason.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wetwally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2012 at 3:01pm
Wetwally View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I had a Sea Doo I now fish of a Yamaha FXHO both are very good skis. You will find out pretty quickly the closed loop issue is neither here nor there, if you plan to fish of the ski comfort and dry ride are to me the most import issues.
So take a Sea Doo for a test in choppy conditions then a Yamaha see for yourself.
Hope to see you out there.Clap
IF SWIMMING IS SUCH GREAT EXCERSIZE WHY ARE WHALES SO FAT ??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Breakaway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 11:55am
Breakaway View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi all, I’ve been doing a bit of  research as I might have a go at this jet ski fishing thing.

Last time I rode a jet ski was in Fiji a couple of years ago and to be honest I couldn’t remember what brand or model it was. All I know was that it was fun and I had sore muscles after we rode it for a few hours around some islands etc  had my missus  on the back.

We had a lot of fun, but I did manage to hit a wave and go submarine. That was different experience and briefly a bit frightening and going from being dry to being soaked.

Was not expecting that to happen, but I think I learnt that you have to watch the choppy water a bit more carefully than with a boat. 

At least the water was warm.

I've read a little on some of the skis and I'm leaning towards 2 models. The Seadoo GTi 130 and the Yamaha VX.

Should I look at Kawasaki?

I see a guy selling a lot of second hand ones on Trademe which I'm guessing are parallel imports.

Wondering if anyone has had any dealings with this outfit and what sort of experience they have had with a imported unit. Servicing etc? 

I digress....sorry getting back to the two models I think I've short listed, they both seem to have about the same power and fuel economy travelling at about 30kn and getting around 4nm per lt.

That seems pretty dam good to me. I think that would be a comfortable cruising speed in calm conditions.  I think I’m going to go for a four stroke model.

What I would like to know is how these two compare in the chop that is normal in the inner gulf and is submarining common? Do you lose gear or get much in the way of breakages when that happens?

I was thinking about hiring a ski, but at $350 for a day and not allowed to use more than 2nm from shore or in waves over 300mm it seems a joke to trialling. 

Once I do get more serious about buying a ski, then I'll tackle the trial issue again. In the meantime I would like any comments about the handling characteristics between the different skis. 

I think the Seadoo looks like it might suit me a bit better , i like the new brake system and at low speed it appears that it still has steerage whereas I'm not sure about the Yamaha.

I'm thinking of when I would use it at Marsden Cove marina where it's 3kn limit and no wake zone for a quite distance from the main ramp.

Safety gear?

Anyone fit these with vhf radios, or just carry portables? Which is what I would imagine most would do as fitting aerials and having enough battery supply could be an issue, let alone finding a fully waterproof vhf would be expensive.

I’ve read a little about fisher finders, looks like the preference is for Lowrance or Raymarine 5" models.

Where do you mount these on the two different models of skis?

Is 7" unit feasible or an overkill? Are they waterproof? My experience with my old Lowrance LMS 332c is that they aren't. 

maintenance?

How much is average annual?

rebuilds , what hours?

Cooling systems. Seems the Sea doo and Yamaha are completely different in this aspect.

Is one better than the other in the sea? Issues?

Stuff you don't like about these models? 

Stuff you do like ? Safety features? boarding? stability? 

Trailers?

Any preference on style of trailer?

Multirollers or skids?  Beach launching issues? any traps to be aware of?

What do I want to use it for?

Predominately fishing, and then maybe just fooling around and ski biscuit towing etc. accompany other family using kayaks etc.

Body:

How hard is this activity on your body, I do have a bit of an issue with a shoulder, but apart from that I’m reasonably fitish.

Budget.

All up with trailer I don't want to pay more than $15K 

thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this novel. :-)

More thanks to anyone who has some answers to my questions ;-)

Time frame, looking at September onwards to do this.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jetfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 12:44pm
jetfisher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi there,

This debate could go on till the end of the world, just like Ford v Holden everyone has there own ideas. They are both good quality and well know brands. Best thing is get on them and try them out. I spent just over two years looking and listning before having the funds to get what I wanted and have not looked back.
There is lots of forum disscussion on the jetskifishing site would be good for you to look thru. I'm sure theres lots of guys on here happy to let you trail depending on where you are.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Breakaway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 9:36pm
Breakaway View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by jetfisher jetfisher wrote:

Hi there,

This debate could go on till the end of the world, just like Ford v Holden everyone has there own ideas. They are both good quality and well know brands. Best thing is get on them and try them out. I spent just over two years looking and listning before having the funds to get what I wanted and have not looked back.
There is lots of forum disscussion on the jetskifishing site would be good for you to look thru. I'm sure theres lots of guys on here happy to let you trail depending on where you are.

Cheers

Absolutely valid points, can't refute that.

Trying to get on that Jetsking forum site, just waiting for reply from administrator.

I believe that users are the best refrences for the machines and I've had a couple of pm's already which have assisted my quest on information.

I would really appreciate any opportunity to test a machine , but that's in the future when I'm really serious about closing a deal.
At the moment I can't really do a deal though I have the money. It's just that I have other obligations which take priority for a few months so it would a waste of everyone's time testing anything now.

I know I want a late model, that's about all I can be sure of.

thanks for comment ...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Da_Da Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 9:46pm
Da_Da View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

If you prefer Sea-Doo I can recommend this Sea-Doo Fish Pro review here.