Isuzu Bighorn Land Based Vehicle

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote got no boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Isuzu Bighorn Land Based Vehicle
    Posted: 22 Nov 2012 at 10:17pm
got no boat View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

My mechanic has an 1994 Isuzu Bighorn with a rebuilt engine for sale and was wondering what your thoughts would be as a land based vehicle? Looking at taking the kite/surfcasters down muriwai, towing the jet skis and motorbikes but also as a daily runner. Any thoughts or feedback would be much appreciated.
If a 6 was a nine... I don't mind
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SufixRockMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2012 at 10:35pm
SufixRockMan View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

various mechanics have told me that Isuzu make the most solid diesel engines around
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2012 at 10:46pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

theres a few on here that know much more. but one thing i was told was avoid the 4JX1 motor, the 4JG2 is a good motor.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brown Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 7:01am
Brown Dog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have a 1988 Irmscher Big Horn, motor is absolutely bullet proof, great wagon for fishing. Have been told that certain Isuzu motors should be avoided,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Afternoon Delight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 8:05am
Afternoon Delight View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Which engine does it have and auto or manual? Watch out for turbo noise as they cant be rebuilt and are expensive to replace. The 3.1 turbo diesel is a good motor and the trucks are very strong if looked after. Even though it is your mechanic i strongly reccomend a second look from another mechanics workshop.

Oh and get a leak down test done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 8:28am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I had a bighorn and liked it.  Just be careful as if they overheat the whole engine is toast (don't ask how I know).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 8:47am
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

I had a bighorn and liked it.  Just be careful as if they overheat the whole engine is toast (don't ask how I know).

Disagree,

But I owned one for 6 odd years, great motor, did overheat it once (my fault left radiator cap off)
Got it looked at very minor superficial really. Skimmed it did the valves etc, no hassles after that.
My mate 's a diesel fitter so we put it back together...

Still is a great work horse...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote got no boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 11:24am
Silver
Silver

Thanks so much for all the info guys. It is the 3.1 Auto with the 4JG2 motor in it so sounds like it should be the go. Does anyone know what their towing capability is like?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Michael Jenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 6:43am
Michael Jenkins View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Why has it been rebuilt? Even the most reliable make/model of vehicles can become a dud after a lifetime of abuse, on the otherhand accidents happen, try find out about what sort of life it's had so you get an idea of how much life is left in everything else.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pashy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2012 at 11:33am
pashy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I had a Mu for awhile 3L turbo diesel. Pulled a 5.6m ramco around mint. Motor went mint. She didn't like the saltwater too much though....
dad reakons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, and the rest is just good luck!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jim_bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 1:40am
jim_bob View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have a Isuzu wizard 1996 with the 4jg2 3.1 diesel and have had no problems on the beach and reliable.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -Dr. Seuss
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote forsyth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 10:35am
forsyth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi mate
I had a 1995 manual 3.1D bighorn for a number of years and only just got rid of it as she was getting overly expensive to keep going. Mine travelled literally the entire country top to bottom and spent a huge amount of its life in salt water which its fair to say she didn't much like. Everywhere we went was towing a small boat but a large amount of gear!
In over 200,000km I didn't have a single engine fault or problem that required any work - I couldn't say enough good thigns about the Isuzu diesels. However, a few things to consider: I went through a couple of clutches in the last 100k kms, the full monty inc hydraulics etc. Also, discs/drums were fairly regular casualties of the salt water despite fresh water washing.
I haven't gone for another bighorn though, depsite the engine being pretty much flawless, (I've gone for the Mazda BT50 ute over the D-Max). The main reason being that on the soft stuff the Bighorn is just a bit too big and heavy and I had a few tricky moments with beach launching. One particularly memorable one with Fisher involved waking a farmer up at 5am, dragging him down to the beach where the wagon was blowing bubbles through it's exhaust as it was underwater on an incoming tide!! But have got stuck a number of times on softer launches (Fletchers, Stony Bay etc) just because of the weight of the wagon compared to its 4wd ability.
Still, for the price they're good as gold and I was sad to see the old girl go (found out recently some boys up at Ahipara bought her and are using her on the beach every day!). Over a number of years she'd been from Bluff to Reinga via just about everywhere in between, most of the time with a fair load and apart from a starter motor dying once I never had a mechanical fault that caused a problem on a trip. So much so that I cancelled my AA membership (really!).

All that said, I can't vouch for the auto gearbox, but having done a couple of full clutches on the manual, I'd imagine you'd probably want to be prepared for some work there.

Hope that helps?
NZFisher: Get your free monthly fishing magazine emailed straight to you. http://www.nzfisher.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 10:47am
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Im an owner of a 1995 Bighorn ,300,000ks,manual.. excellent for towing,have recod the motor and diesel pump at 250k..
prior to that had a 1991 bighorn,that was a top vehicle as well ..

Just make sure you change oil and filter every..........>>>>> 5000K  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

power steering can leak but easy to repair
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote got no boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 11:35am
Silver
Silver

Thanks for the info guys, Unfortuantely I took it for a test drive the other day and it wasnt as good as it was made out to be but still looking at a few more. Forsyth I will be mainly using it to go up and down beaches not launching boats. Is it only close to the water where you had the problems? I have never been 4wding on a beach before so not too sure what to watch out for.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote forsyth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2012 at 10:12am
forsyth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey mate
Most of the not-so-exciting moments were near the waterline for sure, with one notable exception on soft(ish) sand up in the farthest north e coast.

There are a lot of guys on here much better qualified to talk about 4wd driving skills on the beach than me I'm sure!
NZFisher: Get your free monthly fishing magazine emailed straight to you. http://www.nzfisher.co.nz