cricket

Page  <1234 8>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gerrystackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 4:40pm
Gerrystackle View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The pace bowling stocks for NZ are looking promising. Southee, Boult have played well recently, although Bracewell had a leveler in this game just finished. In the wings are some guys with genuine wheels - Milne, McKay, McLenagahn (sp) and Wheeler - not to mention Wagner and here is a bolter to watch.....Andy Matheson. He sprays it around at the moment but is as quick as anyone else going around - so he has alot of work to do before he steps up.

Mean while in the batting we have.................Look, the answer lies with NZ cricket and what they hope to get from the game. T20 and ODI focus has totally stuffed our players confidence in their ability to bat time. Flynn and Williamson have the appitude to do this, Taylor, McCullum and Guptill on the other hand, I'm not so sure. God I would love for them to prove me wrong (actually McCullums double ton vs India a couple years ago probably proves me wrong).

Keep an eye on young Ish Sodhi from ND; leg spinner who can bat with talent to burn.
Greg
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 5:53pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Gerrystackle Gerrystackle wrote:

The pace bowling stocks for NZ are looking promising. Southee, Boult have played well recently, although Bracewell had a leveler in this game just finished. In the wings are some guys with genuine wheels - Milne, McKay, McLenagahn (sp) and Wheeler - not to mention Wagner and here is a bolter to watch.....Andy Matheson. He sprays it around at the moment but is as quick as anyone else going around - so he has alot of work to do before he steps up.

Mean while in the batting we have.................Look, the answer lies with NZ cricket and what they hope to get from the game. T20 and ODI focus has totally stuffed our players confidence in their ability to bat time. Flynn and Williamson have the appitude to do this, Taylor, McCullum and Guptill on the other hand, I'm not so sure. God I would love for them to prove me wrong (actually McCullums double ton vs India a couple years ago probably proves me wrong).

Keep an eye on young Ish Sodhi from ND; leg spinner who can bat with talent to burn.

You see thing along the same lines as I do
I disagree though about Guptill
Yest there are better bats around but his wanting to play county rather than circus tells me his attitude is right
CDs coach is Alan Hunt. Alan use to play in my team here in Auckland and was a fast bowler at the time. Later he went on to be a spinner/batsman for Auckland.
the great Bishan Bady (I know the spellings wrong) once said he was the best spinner he had seen out side the continent so Sodhi will be in good hands
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 9:29pm
Fletch View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by JK JK wrote:

Get Ryder back in there ASAP. He is the best bit of batting talent we have had in a long long time. No 5 for him.

This then leaves the problem of finding another opener (welcome back Lou) and giving Flynn the bad news that there is no room at the inn.

ClapClapClapClapClap

Have read half of this, can have a dazed guess at the rest, but this above is truth.

Nothing more except panadol for me in the state of our cricket.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 11:12pm
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Agree Lou Vincent should be in the frame.  He still has a lot to offer and not just his batting either as he is by far one of the better fielders around as well.  I think in the past there was an issue or two between Lou and the (then) administration/leadership but things have moved on since then.  Problem is..would he be interested?  I dunno...
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 12:07am
1Daz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Olfart Olfart wrote:

Agree Lou Vincent should be in the frame.  He still has a lot to offer and not just his batting either as he is by far one of the better fielders around as well.  I think in the past there was an issue or two between Lou and the (then) administration/leadership but things have moved on since then.  Problem is..would he be interested?  I dunno...

He and his family live in England dont they? I dont think vincent will play for NZ again. I hope Ryder is in the team for the South African series.
Go the Warriors!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 6:17am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Vincent was interviewed on TV1 a few months back and said he would like to play for NZ again.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 6:57am
Fletch View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yup hes keen and been playing well...best thing about Lou (apart from his obvious batting and fielding skills) is his attitude to the big boys on the field....wont take crap from anyone, hes quick witted and can sledge with the best. Wont let the occasion get in way of the job. I think he genuinley cares when he plays, not into it just for the money or glory like so many of our current Caps
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dohboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 7:26am
Dohboy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

your kidding yourself if you think 4.5m Kiwi's are gonna always compete with powers like India, Oz, SA, England etc. 

Have you forgotten the All Blacks we compete in that code very well.
www.acewash.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 7:34am
Fletch View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Support them no matter what, your kidding yourself if you think 4.5m Kiwi's are gonna always compete with powers like India, Oz, SA, England etc.  

Dont forget Bangladesh......LOLLOLLOL. Afganistan will be nextOuch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 7:41am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Had lunch with Lou last week. Would play for NZ again. 
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Elpescador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 9:08am
Elpescador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wot happened to Dean Brownlie he could play and jamie how?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gerrystackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 9:32am
Silver
Silver

Unfortunately Brownlie isn't the best player of spin - something I believe he is working hard on. He is an obvious talent. Watling must be in the frame for the next test.

Regarding Ryder - this is a tough one. I have watched, and played, alot of cricket and Jesse Ryder remains to be one of the most naturally talented batsmen I have ever seen. He plays the ball so late, under his eyes and with very quick hands. In short the guys a bit of a freak (like Adam Gilchrest was), when on fire nearly impossible to bowl to. He will play for NZ again soon, but it may not be on the tour to SA. I can imagine the Saffer players and crowd ripping into him verbally, trying to get under his skin and into his head...and thats when issues could (I'm not saying will) arise. Personally I would ease him back into the fold against the Pomgolians when they arrive...home turf...home crowds...who will utterly love having him there and hopefully he will have a gazillion domestic runs under his belt by then. And from there he has the head space and drive to be a force in our side for 2013, 2014 and beyond.

But its not up to me. Just my thoughts.
Greg
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 10:06am
1Daz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by JK JK wrote:

Had lunch with Lou last week. Would play for NZ again. 

Really! Thats very good news. Is he playing for Auckland this season?

Go the Warriors!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 10:37am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Gerrystackle
He (Ryder) is very talented but he also shows a weakness to being starved of runs.
He simply needs the score board to keep turning over quite quickly.
For him to be a rearly good test player he will need to learn time
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gerrystackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 11:09am
Silver
Silver

Barrie - agreed.
Rotating the stike is often a way of curbing that desire for quick runs; but in actual fact the accummulation of runs during the course of an over in that manner keeps things running along nicely. It also alters (and can frustrate) a bowlers plans. Its all intriguing stuff.

Greg
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 12:20pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thats why test cricket is so different to any other sport and a well fought draw is almost better than a win
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 12:22pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by 1Daz 1Daz wrote:

Really! Thats very good news. Is he playing for Auckland this season?

yeah he is. I was down in Welly late last week and he was too as had a game vs Wellington on the friday night
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 1:01pm
Boz19 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ryder is our man. Get him back in there. Could be our best batsman of the next 5-6 year in my opinion if back in the international fold.
Off the booze for a long time now and scoring runs domestically all too easily.
Sure he has made his mistakes in the past but as mentioned by others above he has so much talent, he just has to be in there! Especially so given our very limited talent pool of batsmen...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gerrystackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 1:04pm
Silver
Silver

Dean Brownlie is currently on 118 no vs Wellington. Good stuff lad.

Maybe I'll just follow the domestic stuff instead of the Black Caps - may help me from losing my mind!
Greg
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Elpescador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 2:11pm
Elpescador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ryder is our man? i think we need half a dozen men! goodbye jimmy franklin hello andre adams! how about that for a start. 
Page  <1234 8>