Kezza's Smoked Pork Ribs

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kezza's Smoked Pork Ribs
    Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 12:42pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

.....any questions just ask

Start with this...

Do this with a bread knife....

Peel the rib cage membrane away....

BoneDust both sides of the rack

'till you achieve a nice even coating

soooo good!>..a real hickory 'zing' to the BoneDust. Cover and put in the fridge to 12 hours

The ribs absorb the flavour of the BoneDust and ready for a sticky/hot marinade/glaze

The ingredients I use for the glaze - the stuff in the container is 100% natural Maple Syrup by Bradley.

Mix together to taste.

Liberally baste the ribs - both sides of the rack

Place in preheated Bradley Smoker for 8 hours at 88 degrees C with 3 hours of Hiickory Bisquettes. Shuffle racks around during the smoke/cook and rebaste at the half way point. For the last hour or so bump up the oven temp to 160degrees C.

golden and ready to eat.....

At this stage you can BBQ them off on a hot grill to put some "bark' on them.

The meat will be falling off the bone very moreish...serve with beer!!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 1:54pm
Moggy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Were do you get the "Bone Dust" from Kez?
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it!
FISH FIGHT The Peoples Protest
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 2:16pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Part of the Bradley stable Norm - try www.bradleysmoker.co.nz for retailers.

Ted Reader is the mastermind behind a range of rubs and sauces.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 7:01pm
Moggy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kezza Kezza wrote:

Part of the Bradley stable Norm - try www.bradleysmoker.co.nz for retailers.

Ted Reader is the mastermind behind a range of rubs and sauces.

Cheers for that
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it!
FISH FIGHT The Peoples Protest
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote H8_4DS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 7:21pm
H8_4DS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

where did you get the sudden death sauce from?

Ive been trying to get some muerte death sauce and some ultra death sauce in NZ ever since a mate at work bought some back from USA.. They are great.

Formally Known as nvmyvl
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 7:28pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A mate of mine brought it back from Canada...that shheeet is lethal - should be registered as a weapon!!....saw a huge selection of hot sauses including sudden death in Adelaide last weekend...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OffTheHook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 7:59pm
OffTheHook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yum! have you tried monkey-gland sauce on ribs before? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote STEVIE WONDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 8:03pm
STEVIE WONDER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome 
ONLY WHEN THE LAST TREE HAS DIED AND THE LAST RIVER BEEN POISONED AND THE LAST FISH BEEN CAUGHT WILL WE REALISE THAT WE CANNOT EAT MONEY.
NATIVE AMERICAN CREE
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote des flurane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2012 at 10:46am
des flurane View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Kezza,
Where do you get your ribs from, they look very meaty.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2012 at 10:51am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by OFF THE HOOK OFF THE HOOK wrote:

yum! have you tried monkey-gland sauce on ribs before? 

That doesn't sound "right" at all mate...Evil Smile...on that note - where do i get some??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2012 at 10:55am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by des flurane des flurane wrote:

Kezza,
Where do you get your ribs from, they look very meaty.

Hey mate.....I get them from a bulk meat wholesaler thru a friend in the trade but can find out where they are available from retail and report back....very chunky ribs indeed.....the other option is to go and speak to a local butcher and start a long and meatingful relationship....Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OffTheHook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2012 at 4:16pm
OffTheHook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Haha dont worry no monkey bits, I bought it from Fred's butcher on oteha valley rd, tastes awesome
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Legend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2012 at 4:36pm
Blue Legend View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by H8_4DS H8_4DS wrote:

where did you get the sudden death sauce from?

Someone in NZ is selling the range of death sauces because he had a stand at the food show not so long ago. I will see if i can get a contact number
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote des flurane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2012 at 8:49pm
des flurane View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks Kezza, might try Freds, been buying at westmere Butchery, but find the ribs there a bit average.
Get all my hot sauces from http://www.chilliworld.com/index.asp 
Excellent range and reasonable postage to NZ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 11:57am
Boz19 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Purchased some ribs last night and got them in the fridge now with a Kansas City Rib Rub doing the business. Tried finding Bone Dust in about half a dozen retailers but ****ed if I could find anyone who had it in stock so gave up and made some of my own recipe.

Question though Kez - when mixing up your sauce, any particular ratios for the ingredients, anything particular as the base? Or just mixing to taste as such? Ta

Smoking em tomorrow.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sho_gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 8:37pm
Sho_gun View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Have followed this recipe twice in the last 2 months and can confirm that cook/ smoke times and temperature are bang on. Cheers for sharing!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 12:03pm
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Death sauces on trademe - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=1571118
So hot, they're hallucinogenic!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Crusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 9:04pm
Reel Crusader View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Have tried this a couple of times now (in my Kiwi DIY 44 gal drum "Badley" smoker) and it's very awesome.  Key tips for me were.....

1. Peeling off the membrane to let the spices do their work
2. Leave the rub on overnight, then marinate in baste a bit before going into the warm smoker
3. A long slow smoke/cook so the sugars in the baste don't go black with too much heat

Had to improvise with the ingredients but that's all part of the fun.

Thanks for sharing Kezza - inspiring! Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 6:34am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Old thread but very handy tips from "Keeza" thanks in the process now.Well the ribs been in fridge for 12 hrs.

Now the death sauce you speak of.Hmm try some Culleys no10 ,made from carolinia reepers.

Bit on the finger does no justice,need to put sparingly on food then add more 

Added reepers to my mopping sauce
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 5:20pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Update from last rib cook.Yes to Keezas recipe with my reaper mopping sauce,not for the faint hearted.6 hr cook,2 hr wrapped in foil,last hr back on rack, maintained a heat of around 120 with plenty of smoke,soaked some manuka bark so nice and wet for last hr.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic