Making a longline

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Thamesfella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Making a longline
    Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 12:55pm
Thamesfella View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all thought id look at making up my own longline kite/kontiki ....perhaps for retrieval,using the petrol motor off an old weedeater ive got,thing is im unsure of how/what i would make the trolley out of,how to lay it out etc.
any ideas/comments would be great.
cheers Justin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 1:22pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I wouldnt bother with a weed eater motor man,it wouldnt handle the weight of a decent set of fish at all.
Get a mobility scooter motor off trade me,theyre 12/24v and work mint,then look at getting a good quality drum/spool made up out of stainless or alloy (10mm) cause a hell of a lot of tension on the drum will encourage fail points,believe me,lol.
My system is a bit crude looking,but it definately does the job,the most weight ive pulled in was a 9kg snapper and a 6ft bronzy on the same set,if anythings going to fail,it will be the joins/knots/crimps in the line,or as i found out a few weeks back,the bridle where the lower kite attaches to the main line.
It can be done fairly cheaply,i make my own dropper lines with stoppers every 2mtrs,that saves me $70,i also make my own trace clips.
the hardest bit of making the setup is making sure your drum can handle all the weight of the line,sinkers,kite/wind and the fish.
Fix your drum onto the axle of the scooter motor with a grub screw so you can freespool it out,then tighten and retrieve your gear.I also have made my winch so that i cal take the drum off the motor incase of an over run or tangle,its no fun unknotting a km or two of line on the beach,with alot of wind,makes it more likely you will lose some part of the line,or have the dropper rig get washed about in the surf,not a nice thing to have to do.
Ill take a pic of my rough and ready winch for you and point out whats what.
But yeah,forget anything thats petrol powered,you only want a meter every 2 seconds coming back onto the drum,any faster and if you get a snag,by the time you notice its too late,your line will snap.seeyaa gear.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 1:22pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There goes the quite peaceful trip down the beach.

Have you thought about what it would be like listening to that beside you while you lay the line on the spool?
Stopping and starting during pull back?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 1:27pm
Titanium
Titanium

next time i head out to the beach for a fish,youre welcome to come and have a gander and pick my brain,but once you see it in action,it pretty much explains its self.
I dont use a trolly,i made a offset tripod that i stick into the sand,then tie it to my towball on the truck,for when the wind picks up,or you get a massive strike,cause you can actually feel if theres a big fish on the line,even if its out 2kms,and Ive seen a guy lose the whole lot cause he wasnt watching the gear,wind picked up and pulled it all out to ozzy,lol.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Thamesfella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 2:15pm
Bronze
Bronze

Awesome advice,cheers man a looksy would be awesome
Krow ....I was after advice only ..sounding boards ...thanks for your feedback,but i note that you have put up an alternative method?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Thamesfella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 2:17pm
Bronze
Bronze

Where do you normally go FF?
you can park close to the beach aye?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 2:53pm
Titanium
Titanium

i fish two spots,karioitahi beach in waiuku and hamiltons gap up the manukau heads,you can drive onto both beaches.The gap is a small beach of maybe 300mtrs,but KT is 9kms long to the left of the carpark that heads up towards the waikato river entrance,heaps of white baiters at the moment.I perfer to fish KT as at the gap you get twits surfing right over your gear,and theres a few snags out there,kt has no snags and enough room for everyone to enjoy the beach........usually.........sometimes its like a highway with speeding bikes and the like.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 3:15pm
Titanium
Titanium

heres a pic of the ugly thing.
On the right you can see the pole that has a hanger bearing welded to it that acts as an outer breace to stop twisting,it sits through a tubular part of the upright,thats to be able to remove the spool.
On the left of the spool you can see the grub screw/bolt to lock it down and pull it in.
Theres a switch on the back that you have to push and hold to retrieve,as a safety cause if its a simple on/off switch,nasty things happen if your hand ends up in the line,ive had it happen while helping a novice fisher with his gear,never again,i almost lost a finger,its surprizing how fast you can snap 65kg line when you know whats about to happen,he had an on/off switch that i couldnt find on his winch,so i snapped the line.
I hook it up to a battery,or my truck when i pull it in.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Griffo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 3:45pm
Griffo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by fish-feeder fish-feeder wrote:

I wouldnt bother with a weed eater motor man,it wouldnt handle the weight of a decent set of fish at all.
Get a mobility scooter motor off trade me,theyre 12/24v and work mint,then look at getting a good quality drum/spool made up out of stainless or alloy (10mm) cause a hell of a lot of tension on the drum will encourage fail points,believe me,lol.
My system is a bit crude looking,but it definately does the job,the most weight ive pulled in was a 9kg snapper and a 6ft bronzy on the same set,if anythings going to fail,it will be the joins/knots/crimps in the line,or as i found out a few weeks back,the bridle where the lower kite attaches to the main line.
It can be done fairly cheaply,i make my own dropper lines with stoppers every 2mtrs,that saves me $70,i also make my own trace clips.
the hardest bit of making the setup is making sure your drum can handle all the weight of the line,sinkers,kite/wind and the fish.
Fix your drum onto the axle of the scooter motor with a grub screw so you can freespool it out,then tighten and retrieve your gear.I also have made my winch so that i cal take the drum off the motor incase of an over run or tangle,its no fun unknotting a km or two of line on the beach,with alot of wind,makes it more likely you will lose some part of the line,or have the dropper rig get washed about in the surf,not a nice thing to have to do.
Ill take a pic of my rough and ready winch for you and point out whats what.
But yeah,forget anything thats petrol powered,you only want a meter every 2 seconds coming back onto the drum,any faster and if you get a snag,by the time you notice its too late,your line will snap.seeyaa gear.

Was thinking about this the other day and rekon a 14" alloy wheel from a wrecker would make a good line drum... That aint collapsing!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 5:48pm
Titanium
Titanium

definately wont collapse,the problem is having a central axle to fit the hole in the wheel,and being its alloy,tig welding will be needed,not cheap,ive looked into it and it seemed a bit overkill to me.
Im making a new drum soon out of a ride on mower rear wheel,just the right diameter and width to hold 2-3km.You want the sides to be around 300mm in diameter,and the central axle doesnt really matter,as long as the whole thing holds the amount of line you perfer to use.The thickness of the sidewalls of the drum is very important,as you can see,mine has warped from the tension of the line going onto it.Thats 2mm galv steel with 2, 3mm high carbon saw blades welded on the outside after the galv steel started to buckle badly,and even that has started to buckle again,hence the new drum im making.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Thamesfella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 9:19pm
Bronze
Bronze

Not pretty mate,but highly practical ....be good to see it in action
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 11:12pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

It's amazing how much the sides have buckled. Mind you it appears to get used a lot Thumbs Up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 7:23am
Titanium
Titanium

hell yes smudge......i cringe when i hear it creaking while yanking it in sometimes.
Not pretty at all,its all made from scrap steel and a gasless mig.I threw it together in about 3hours,the winds were coming and i didnt want to haul it in by hand as i was going fishing by myself.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Thamesfella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 4:07pm
Bronze
Bronze

Do you take it out with kite then? was thinking about taking it out with the kayak...Would the weight be too much you think?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 4:59pm
Titanium
Titanium

kayak is totally possible,seen it done with a surfboard.
I lost my kite today so wont be going out for a long time now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Thamesfella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 9:29pm
Bronze
Bronze

Bummer man ....
Going to get another next time?
You reacon its worthwhile making up your own traces?
Thats bits needed you can buy quite cheaply ....but the hassle of making em up etc?...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 10:26pm
Titanium
Titanium

yep make your own traces,its bugger all hassle,and saves alot of money.I use 60lb line,size 18 longline hooks and decent swivels,and make my own clips from old pushbike spokes,stainless steel for free.
I also make my own dropper lines,thats $65 dollars saved right there.I fish on a very limited budget,sometimes my baits used twice,or i mite be lucky enough to find a fresh dead fish on the beach,and i even use the gut flaps off snapper ive caught.
And after today,im looking into making my own kites,bound to be alot cheaper than buying them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Thamesfella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 1:20pm
Bronze
Bronze

Bit hard to store traces though mate,have you got a method,im not sure I can make them the exact length needed each time for a wooden holder
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Thamesfella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 1:21pm
Bronze
Bronze

Great tip about the old bike spokes though,primo!Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 1:52pm
Titanium
Titanium

nah its easy at having a turd.
Make your trace rack 550mm long,snell on your hook,put the hook in the trace holder,cut your line 100mm after the other end of the trace holder,put the line through your clip,put the clip on the other end on the trace rack and clinch knot the trace,i usually slide the clip towards the hook a litle to allow for the knot to slip tight,thats pretty much it.
Have a look on pauls kite fishing site,its got instructions that are no doubt more understandable han mine.
Page  123>