Making a longline

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 4:55pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

have a look on pauls kite fishing website,it explains alot on how to make traces to the right length and so on. If you have no luck,i can explain how i do it,but being a little thick,i fing it hard putting thoughts into words to be understandable.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Thamesfella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 10:30am
Thamesfella View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Mate do you use 60lb line for traces only?
what do you use for backbone? 200lb? what sort of length for backbone 1000m ...
and do you do your own stoppers for traces? crimps?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 10:37am
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i used to make up longlines all the time. depends if you like that sort of thing. but not hard at all. make a trace rack out of wood to store them.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 11:10am
Titanium
Titanium

Yes Justin,I use 60lb trace line,and i usually have clear 1.3mm tubing over the top to help stop tangles and shark bites taking the traces.
For a longline backbone best to use 200lb line,for a dropper rig, its best to use 65kg mainline from the reel to the kite,then 50kg line for the dropper so that will snap before the mainline will.
Next time I go out fishing,ill give you a few days notice,and youre welcome to come out and see it in action,its so much easier to point and explain the set up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Thamesfella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 2:22pm
Bronze
Bronze

gday,how much line between backbone and kite?
how much line on the reel? 2000m is it easier to make up the stoppers or get them premade backbones?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 2:32pm
Titanium
Titanium

length of line between the kite and the fishing gear,dropper or longline differs.With a dropper,50mtrs down from the lite is where you attach the dropper,30ft or so from that clip is where the bottle goes,then 10mtrs or so from where the bottle goes is where your first sinker and stoppers start,the dropper is usually 100mtrs long from memory.

On a longline,the flag and bottle is about the same distance from the kite,but the stoppers start another 50 mtrs or so from the flag/bottle,to ensure most of the traces are on the seabed.
Dont take that as gospel,best to check pauls kite fishing website,he has diagrams that can explain everything alot better and correctly than me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 2:36pm
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Thamesfella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 2:58pm
Bronze
Bronze

cheers mate will doThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Thamesfella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 2:14pm
Bronze
Bronze

het fella is it easy to make your own stoppered backbone?
whats the best way? crimps?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Thamesfella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 6:52pm
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Justin30299 Justin30299 wrote:

het fella is it easy to make your own stoppered backbone?
whats the best way? crimps?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 7:07pm
Titanium
Titanium

personally thats one part i'd buy ready made. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Thamesfella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 7:17pm
Bronze
Bronze

yeah was thinking the same John ,cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 9:55am
Titanium
Titanium

you can make them.If you can snell a hook,you can make a longline,you just need two spools and alot of patience,and superglue.
make your stoppers with braided dacron/nylon,use about ten turns for the knot,then spot a blob of glue infront of it and slowly slide it onto the glue,but buying is much easier :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Thamesfella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 4:13pm
Bronze
Bronze

Do I need to buy 2 lengths of mono .
1 that has the distance 1000-2000ms
and another 100m to tie onto the above for traces etc? if so whats the best way to join them up?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 4:21pm
Titanium
Titanium

not sure about kite or kontiki longlines but i now use shark clips on my dropers so i can chop and change them according to depth. i was told once by an excommercial guy that knots are better then swivels as you never know how corroded the swivels are inside.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 7:54pm
Titanium
Titanium

true,but a swivel will be needed somewhere along the line,just get a large stainless one from pauls shop,or even better,go in there and ask him,hes the pro with the know.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Thamesfella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 9:13pm
Bronze
Bronze

My longline will be 1 piece,with stoppers along for traces,It will be deploying by kayak.
But I can't find any backbones that have pre stoppers/crimps that are no longer than 300meters,and as I want to go out at least 1000m,so I will need to buy a standard/blank backbone,1000m long and join them up.
Best method for this?knot?
And who sells cheap weights needed?
cheers 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 10:17pm
Titanium
Titanium

dude,as mentioned a few times now,ring paul or morgan at pauls kite fishing shop
For 1...you WILL need a swivel to join your backbone to your retrieval line,not just to join it,but to stop it winding up on itsself as its pushed around in the surf,or to stop fish from doing the same.
2..Get yourself a hank/roll of 1000mtr 65kg line for $70 off trademe,a backbone around the same price and there you go.Join the two together with your swivel using a back to back uni knot (search function is good for this)
You dont need a backbone longer than 300mtrs,thats why you cant find one,cause its overkill and not needed.
tie it off wherever on land,drag it out with a weight at the begining of the backbone and one at the end of it,it couldnt be much simpler really man,honestly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Thamesfella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 9:47am
Bronze
Bronze

hahaha thanks mate..gotcha Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Thamesfella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 5:01pm
Bronze
Bronze

mate who sells the plastic tubing needed for traces? mitre 10?
cheers
Page  <123>