Salted prawn bait

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sausage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Salted prawn bait
    Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 9:06pm
Sausage View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have always salted the shellfish baits I use for surfcasting but never thought to try salting my prawn baits.
Last time I was out I was using salted tuatua and prawns and the leftover bait all got thrown back into the same container and into the freezer. Used the same lot of bait today and the prawns had firmed up really well with the excess salt from the tuatua. I didnt need to use bait elastic on them like I usually would.
I will be salting prawns from now on, thought this might be handy to others also.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote M.I.L.F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 7:00pm
M.I.L.F View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thumbs Up   i like your plan what did you do to salt them how much salt and how   long do you salt them for  and is it ok to  use  prawns from the supermarket 
KING SMURFIX
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sausage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 9:00pm
Sausage View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I just had raw prawns from the supermarket, they have always done the business on the rig and moki. As for how much salt I dont know for sure because these ones just got salted with the excess from the tuatuas so it shouldn't take too much. I would say just give them a good covering.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ycha223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 7:50am
ycha223 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

someone once told me salted bait gives off an oily trail when deployed in the water more than non-salted bait. to me the best is fresh bait but if fresh ones are unavailable salted should be the second best option
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pitch81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 3:01pm
pitch81 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey sausage what rig set up do you use for the moki,im trying tp target them at the moment dpwn south and gpt a trumpeter. Any help would be much appreciated
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 5:19pm
Jet_ski_fisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

shelfish bait wrapped in bait cotton 40lb trace 3 or 4 or 5 bar hook standard dropper rig and your away..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pitch81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 7:32pm
pitch81 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers mate,how long should the rig be for hooks and length to sinker??